The Wired Differently Whisperer: Autism Discussion Page

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Did you find the Autism Discussion Page Helpful?
Yes. 77%  77%  [ 10 ]
No. 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Other, Please Comment. 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 13

krazykat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 May 2013, 10:51 pm

WorldsEdge wrote:
First impression: I'm afraid I don't really care for the layout. It seems rather disorganized. It may just be that while I do have a Facebook account, I almost never use it. Meaning I'm simply not all that "with it" in terms of operating within the whole FB structure. So, the applicability of this observation beyond me is probably limited. However, I think I would be a great deal less turned off if this material were posted on something like a generic web site or even a blog, where the whole article appeared and comments followed, not simply six lines with some "more" tag. Also, a landing page with an index would be preferable.

Second impression:

Quote:
The site is identified to help Parents with children on the spectrum, but it is equally valuable in my opinion for adults on the spectrum. :)

I'm afraid I'm not seeing what there is on the FB page (not properly a "site," is it?) that is helpful to adults on the Spectrum. Children, possibly, and adults trying to raise ASD children, probably. But ASD adults trying to navigate through the world we live in? That I'm afraid I don't see.

Also, the title to this thread:

Quote:
The Wired Differently Whisperer: Autism Discussion Page

I'm afraid I find something like what I bolded to be neither cute nor humorous. In fact, I find it both patronizing and borderline to being outright offensive. I am not a horse, cow, cat, dog or bacillus. If this is how the owner of that FB page refers to himself, I'd personally rather he keep his condescension to himself. Maybe something like this is appropriate in reference to children, though I have my doubts there, but it has no place at all in dealings with adults.

I don't expect people to like me or understand me, necessarily. (In fact, I've basically given up any hope at either.) But I do hope they would at least respect me and not tag me as some sort of animal in need of a trainer. Good grief.

However, I also did not see the phrase I bolded present anywhere on the FB Page. What am I missing here?

Third impression:

Quote:
5. Finally, teach the child a coping response to do when snags occur. Teach a specific phrase like "I'm OK, I can hand this." Take a deep breath, count to ten, and look for alternatives (or talk to and adult). Tailor the coping response to match the child. Practice the response, doing it together. Role play it, and use it frequently during the day.

I tend not to go "grammar Nazi" on either myself or anyone else in the context of posting on discussion boards or in the comment section of blog or news articles. Yet if I were to hold myself out as offering advice, or as attempting to sway opinion via personal stories I'd also be sure to review everything I posted both before and after I posted it for obvious errors of fact or wording. So I do think criticizing the page here is within the bounds of the reasonable.

It simply does not seem like the individual behind this FB page is willing to go even as far as reviewing what is posted after it is posted. This makes me far less willing to take anything else said on the page seriously. Though this may simply be another personal foible of mine with no wider applicability, it was a rather unfortunate takeaway of mine while reviewing the page.

You should check out Karla's ASD page and TheAutcast. Both are geared towards adults on the spectrum 8)

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 1:22 am

krazykat wrote:
You should check out Karla's ASD page and TheAutcast. Both are geared towards adults on the spectrum 8)

Krazykat, I noticed your Videoblog in your signature line, and found it as a valuable and unique perspective from a person on the spectrum.

Particularly your video illustration of spinning and flapping, and your description of how your vestibular hyposensitivity is associated with that activity of stimulation to focus.

Additionally, your description of your preference of speaking over writing, which is definitely an issue for some people on the spectrum but rarely talked about "in words" for obvious reasons, on the internet.

I have been collecting unique perspectives from the spectrum on my blog, in hopes that others will find them useful in understanding the spectrum more fully.

I added your VideoBlog and called it "Khawkgirl's Video Blog for Unique Perspective" among the other sites of resource I list under safe sites for people on the spectrum and people who love them.

If you wish I can change it to another label. :)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

billnason
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 May 2013, 8:07 pm

Hi everyone! I am Bill Nason, the moderator of the "Autism Discussion Page". I found your comments and suggestions very helpful. Although the page is focused on parenting children on the spectrum, many of the posts apply to all ages on the spectrum. Yes, my spelling and grammer can be off, often because I am aweful at proof reading my own work. Lol, I often are moving too fast to correct my own work! That is one of my many weaknesses. Thanks for the informative discussion!

Bill

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 2:52 am

I'm not sure, I only skimmed it briefly, but it rather struck me that one of the very first posts I came across was "What would you change about your child if you could?" I don't really see how that's fostering a positive and accepting environment.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 5:04 am

billnason wrote:
Hi everyone! I am Bill Nason, the moderator of the "Autism Discussion Page". I found your comments and suggestions very helpful. Although the page is focused on parenting children on the spectrum, many of the posts apply to all ages on the spectrum. Yes, my spelling and grammer can be off, often because I am aweful at proof reading my own work. Lol, I often are moving too fast to correct my own work! That is one of my many weaknesses. Thanks for the informative discussion!

Bill

Thanks for dropping by Bill. :)

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 5:21 am

StarTrekker wrote:
I'm not sure, I only skimmed it briefly, but it rather struck me that one of the very first posts I came across was "What would you change about your child if you could?" I don't really see how that's fostering a positive and accepting environment.

In fuller context the question was:

"What would you change?

Autism brings with it many challenges, as well as gifts. Please share with us:

1. If you could change three things about child’s autism what would they be?

2. If you could keep three qualities about your child, what qualities would they be?"

In the next post the same question was asked about what the children would change about their parents per challenge and keep per positive qualities

Those open ended questions provided over 100 comments of constructive discussion .

People are visiting the page for the most part to help their children with real challenges associated with Autism, but there is equal emphasis on competence and acceptance of the children.

In the comments some parents stated they wouldn't change a thing, and in other comments there were concerns about how to help some of the children with substantial associated challenges such as anxiety and depression.

Bill's page has a helpful "Tool Kit" approach in a systemized approach to the problems in a step by step problem solving solution.

This is very important for some parents of children on the spectrum because they too approach life from a systemizing problem solving approach, rather than the "touchy" "feely" stuff.

Bills page might not work as well for some people who are not text oriented. Another comment in this discussion addressed that potential limiting factor.

His Posters on the webpage link in the Opening Op are based on Poster Style with Illustrations that might be easier for some people to navigate, to get to key points.