Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 9:20 am

After doing more research it alarms me in relation to the lack of housing options available for people on the spectrum. By that I mean that when comes to living options for autistic people apartments/independent houses are rarely included. This is what I have gathered from reading articles about autistic people and housing options in the US (I live in the UK) In general do the housing issues effect individuals who are sevearly autistic that can't clean or dress themselves?

In my view residential homes for someone who is very high functioning would be a poor and undignified way of living. Living with your parents forever with no independence is also undignified too but each to there own I guess.

I wonder as well if people who are very high functioning inevitably end up in hostels or the streets because of discrimination in the employment field?

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 11:16 am

Hello, are you in danger of be made homeless?

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 11:53 am

No my parents have a lot of money

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 1:10 pm

I'm glad you do not have housing issues.

It's not inevitable that those with ASD end up in hostels, but some definitely do have issues. I don't know for what reasons or what proportion. I have been homeless twice and, obviously, it is a desperate situation to experience.

If a person is unable to support themselves then there should be benefits available to cover living and housing costs. Again, I'm not sure how stringent the conditions are.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 1:26 pm

Unemployment could be to blame

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 3:04 pm

For becoming homeless? Maybe yes, not always.

Autisticgamer
Raven
Raven

17 May 2013, 8:37 pm

I am going to a respite home on Monday !
I was going to a autism care home but they say a issue there at the moment so not accepting new applicants (including me)
I am in the uk

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 8:38 pm

Jamesy wrote:
In my view residential homes for someone who is very high functioning would be a poor and undignified way of living. Living with your parents forever with no independence is also undignified too but each to there own I guess.

What sort of enviroment do you recommend?

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 11:18 pm

Autisticgamer wrote:
I am going to a respite home on Monday !
I was going to a autism care home but they say a issue there at the moment so not accepting new applicants (including me)
I am in the uk

I'm assuming - from the fact you are going to a respite home on Monday - that your autism is such that you need at least a moderate level of daily care? I also got the impression you didn't really like living with your parents - is that correct? Have you talked about your housing options with anybody? Do you think you could live alone with a few hours support a day or do you need the support of having somebody around constantly? What are your thoughts about living in a group home or supported accomodation?

Sorry for all the questions. I am interested in what you're talking about but I didn't get a completely clear idea of your situation from your posts.

I was told that where I live there are a few options available for autistic people in relation to housing. I have AS and can get by alone with just a few hours help a week (to give you an idea I get the lowest rate of both of the two components of Disability Living Allowance) and supported accommodation was even suggested to me. I don't think I would like to live in that kind of environment personally and I think there are other people who need the limited spaces more than I do so I am trying to find a place to rent privately.

aeonon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2013, 2:45 am

I would think for HFA or AS that are capable of independent living, the best place would be council housing or apartments that are inexpensive. If a little more support is needed it would be nice to live in a building with a social worker that could be visited with occasionally if there was a crisis. I could also see having a housing buddy work for someone who who needs a little assistance living independently. This could be a neighbor who would drop by a fe times a week to make sure things were okay. Each person on the spectrum is unique, so there is no one perfect solution. I do think a lot of us who are pretty high functioning could live on our own if benefits were higher, and/or there was less of a shortage of housing driving up rents and causing subsidized housing to have huge wait lists.

turlough3
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 May 2013, 2:56 am

aeonon wrote:
I would think for HFA or AS that are capable of independent living, the best place would be council housing or apartments that are inexpensive. If a little more support is needed it would be nice to live in a building with a social worker that could be visited with occasionally if there was a crisis. I could also see having a housing buddy work for someone who who needs a little assistance living independently. This could be a neighbor who would drop by a fe times a week to make sure things were okay. Each person on the spectrum is unique, so there is no one perfect solution. I do think a lot of us who are pretty high functioning could live on our own if benefits were higher, and/or there was less of a shortage of housing driving up rents and causing subsidized housing to have huge wait lists.

It's funny how everybody talking about this is British.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2013, 4:14 am

I was told that where I live there are a few options available for autistic people in relation to housing. I have AS and can get by alone with just a few hours help a week (to give you an idea I get the lowest rate of both of the two components of Disability Living Allowance) and supported accommodation was even suggested to me. I don't think I would like to live in that kind of environment personally and I think there are other people who need the limited spaces more than I do so I am trying to find a place to rent privately.[/quote]

Lack of funding maybe?

aeonon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 May 2013, 3:44 am

turlough3 wrote:
aeonon wrote:

It's funny how everybody talking about this is British.

Actually I'm American, but I wouldn't recommend most american housing projects due to waitlists that can be decades longer, plus many public housing projects in the US were designed to be purposely dysfunctional and ended up becoming very unsafe places to live, which could leave someone with ASD very likely to be an easy target.

Forkliftoperator
Raven
Raven

19 May 2013, 3:56 am

I live in an apartment and my rent is 1100 a month plus bills. Unless one has a good paying job here, they are screwed.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2013, 4:17 am

aeonon wrote:
I would think for HFA or AS that are capable of independent living, the best place would be council housing or apartments that are inexpensive.

The wait for council housing is very long. I've been told I'm not a priority because I have somewhere to live. Yes, I do have somewhere to live; but it's not suitable due to having neighbours who insist on making so much noise. Apparently, that doesn't matter. :x They wouldn't be saying that if they were the ones being woken up at 7am and being kept up after midnight.

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2013, 5:29 am

What is "residential housing?" Is that what Americans would call a "group home?"

We have "assisted living" here which is usually senior citizens, costs a bit more, but those are small apartments with a nurse and staff around, in case needed, but not designed to feel like a rest home or hospital setting. It's designed to feel like independent apartment living with people handy if you need them sometime.

But that can be expensive...only 2 ways to live there, have a lot of money or be destitute and get on the state waiting list. Middle class people end up going completely broke living in a decent nursing home or assisted living centers.

Oh I'm talking about those because others live there too, not only seniors but anyone who might need some extra help at times.

It's a good idea I think having apartments dedicated to people on the spectrum or at the more severe end of it...but I can't say anything more because I don't know enough and I think it would be best if people who have given thought to it and what would be needed would speak to the details.

I guess for most people who can't live on their own it's live with family or find a nice room in a boarding house, something like that. Some probably do wind up homeless and wandering, or, living in a house that sort of goes to shambles around them, things like that. Not a very cheerful thought.