I absolutely abhor exercise... tips?

Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Tsiiki
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 May 2013, 3:17 pm

DonkeyBuster wrote:
I meditate--there are various kinds: walking, standing, sitting & lying down--& I really feel the repeated letting go of the thought & returning to the breath is basically a patience practice. Not to mention all the marvelous health benefits they keep finding. I could give you some basic instruction if you like or answer questions you might have.

I have tried that, type to sit there crosslegged (lotus isn't comfortable for me), straight posture and would go through a routine of counting to 10 then back at 1 so don't "keep track" for 5 minutes (was gonna work way up, but started getting anxiety attacks during), what are the other methods like?

Quote:
Find a healthy thing & do it. For me a protein shake or smoothie would work. Quick, easy, & can be a real powerhouse of nutrition. Also, assume you're not getting enough sunlight & get your Vit. D levels tested. Strong evidence linking low levels w/depression, etc.

Actually have and been on a few vitamin D regiments to bring up lvl, it's finally up to "good" levels now
And how different is a protien shake to a daily multivitamin? Sort of sounds like the same thing... and doesn't cut out the tasty tasty godsend that is chips *looks longingly at the bags she owns* I know I need to cut down and bring in real non-cheats of food, like more veggies :X

Quote:
I see this as another try at quick when slow & steady wins the race for you. It's about avoiding pain, making the exercise pleasurable, fun. For you, I think the old adage "No pain, no gain" is a sinker. Assume pain is telling you that you got it WRONG for you. That adage is for people who have a higher pain tolerance or stronger endorphin releases or something. Not for you, I'm thinking.

Or me. If it's fun, I'll do it. If it's not fun, I won't. Simple as that. :wink:

Doi! XD You're right *sulk*

Thinking of getting this: http://www.amazon.com/Fitbit-Wireless-A ... ss+tracker
Overall ratings aren't the best, but read a good review about that a few weeks ago, and some've the reviews seem like its fit for me (besides, interested in sleep thing), because data!

Until then, I do have a pedometer that I was trying to keep track of... if I just sneak in some more movement to slowly step it up...
I can't just go to the gym today, because I'll immediately start doing the bad and overdo it, so I'll try by like increasing it at a gradual incline for number of steps til healthier

Sorry if I keep seeming like I'm naysaying, really am listening .__.
Also thank you, you guys have some good advice

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 3:46 pm

Tsiiki wrote:
I have tried that, type to sit there crosslegged (lotus isn't comfortable for me), straight posture and would go through a routine of counting to 10 then back at 1 so don't "keep track" for 5 minutes (was gonna work way up, but started getting anxiety attacks during), what are the other methods like?

Yeah, sitting doesn't work for a lot of people. I think the walking meditation might work for you. Here's what it [almost] looks like...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO8N75uJiCA
Basically, you take one of those tiny steps for each breath: inhale=lift foot, move forward; exhale=lower foot, shift weight onto it. In Soto Zen we hold the hands more softly, at a more comfortable height w/the palms facing the body, rather than the floor. The eyes are open w/a soft gaze.

Again, just try 5 or 10 minutes to start, gently returning your attention to the sensation of your feet on the floor when it wanders away.

There are some adjustments that can be made...if the hand position feels too intense, try joining your hands behind you. This also opens up the chest a bit more, making us more upright...posture shapes mind as much as mind shapes posture.

And stay away from doors... :lol:

Learning how to handle frustration is a huge part of this practice. Being patient as the mind repeatedly wanders off the meditation object...the sensation of your feet meeting the floor. Failing over & over & trying again. So simple, so gentle, & so helpful!

Quote:
Quote:
Find a healthy thing & do it. For me a protein shake or smoothie would work. Quick, easy, & can be a real powerhouse of nutrition. Also, assume you're not getting enough sunlight & get your Vit. D levels tested. Strong evidence linking low levels w/depression, etc.

Actually have and been on a few vitamin D regiments to bring up lvl, it's finally up to "good" levels now
And how different is a protien shake to a daily multivitamin?

Usually I add lots of fruit to the protein powder, & many protein shakes are also made of more whole foods than a compressed little tablet full of non-bio-available chemicals. I'm planning on working up a veggie smoothie, to get more vegetables into my system.

As for those evil 'talking' potato chip bags (I know them well)...just don't bring them home. That's the best I've been able to do. Honest, they don't need a home. That's just spin. :wink:

Quote:
Quote:
I see this as another try at quick when slow & steady wins the race for you. It's about avoiding pain, making the exercise pleasurable, fun. For you, I think the old adage "No pain, no gain" is a sinker. Assume pain is telling you that you got it WRONG for you. That adage is for people who have a higher pain tolerance or stronger endorphin releases or something. Not for you, I'm thinking.

Or me. If it's fun, I'll do it. If it's not fun, I won't. Simple as that. :wink:

Doi! XD You're right *sulk*

Thinking of getting this: http://www.amazon.com/Fitbit-Wireless-A ... ss+tracker
Overall ratings aren't the best, but read a good review about that a few weeks ago, and some've the reviews seem like its fit for me (besides, interested in sleep thing), because data!

Until then, I do have a pedometer that I was trying to keep track of... if I just sneak in some more movement to slowly step it up...
I can't just go to the gym today, because I'll immediately start doing the bad and overdo it, so I'll try by like increasing it at a gradual incline for number of steps til healthier

Good Call!! ! Very good & you get a high five!

I didn't check out the link, I'll just take your word for it. I think those things are a good motivator. I've heard good things about the Jawbone, too. I think it also does the sleep cycle.

Quote:
Sorry if I keep seeming like I'm naysaying, really am listening .__.
Also thank you, you guys have some good advice

It hasn't felt like naysaying to me, just giving us your specifics. :)

Last edited by DonkeyBuster on 17 May 2013, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 4:37 pm

really important, is nutrition. you should not be eating anything white [no sugar/white flour/starchy stuff- strictly limit foodstuffs such as potatoes and corn]. what has also worked for me [in terms of upping my endurance and ability to recover] were daily supplements of maca and fenugreek. also, interval training [where you rhythmically alternate coasting with sprinting] has also increased my aerobic fitness in general. doing this every day, makes me feel much better than I did before this regimen.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 4:49 pm

Tsiiki wrote:
I'm not too far gone yet weight wise, but I'm heading there. Just calculated my body fat and at 35% which isn't good, and BMI is borderline overweight. So I know I *should* get fit, I just can't stand it!! !! !

Losing weight and getting fit are not quite the same thing. Many people (including myself) have found that even months of strenuous exercise result in little or no weight loss. I've actually lost the most when I stopped working out. If you want to lose weight, I suggest you change your diet. No sugar except what you ingest from eating fruit (that includes things like evaporated cane juice), very little food with oil added to it, no fast food whatsoever, only whole grains and only a little; the bulk of your diet should be vegetables, including breakfast. Get the bulk of your protein from legumes and nuts (don't overdo the seeds and nuts because they are fatty). I don't have any evidence that preservatives and other chemicals in the food these days induce weight gain, but I would advise you to stay away from processed foods and try to purchase organic produce when it is available. If you find it costly, you can use the money you save by removing other things from your diet.

There are some good recipes at www.vegweb.com , both simple and complicated.

Last edited by starkid on 17 May 2013, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 4:55 pm

salad should be the main dish.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 5:03 pm

I had a hard time finding a vegetable I wanted for breakfast, but finally discovered baked winter squash. That worked really well for me!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 5:05 pm

one school of dietary thought says that if you restrict your dietary variety, you will be bored but end up losing more weight. a wider variety of food encourages one to eat more.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 5:10 pm

oh auntblabby, I didn't recognize you with your new photo. I thought you were a new user.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 5:34 pm

starkid wrote:
oh auntblabby, I didn't recognize you with your new photo. I thought you were a new user.

yes, that is me after getting into better shape. I figured it was time to retire art carney. :)

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 6:17 pm

Can you imagine if I could pour myself into exercising with the same intensity I do with my digital music collectiing and fiction writing? I'd look like Schwarzenegger by now.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 6:21 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
Can you imagine if I could pour myself into exercising with the same intensity I do with my digital music collectiing and fiction writing? I'd look like Schwarzenegger by now.

I'd look like a grease spot on the gym floor. :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 6:24 pm

redrobin62 wrote:

it doesn't have to be arnie intensity, it just has to be about an hour on most days, of an intensity that makes you break a dripping sweat. it works for me, so far, to a limited extent. I do believe my mileage varies more than the next guy, IOW if most other people did what I did, they might get better results.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2013, 8:24 am

redrobin62 wrote:

I set my goalpost at Han Solo, sure he isn't shredded, but he's ready for whatever gets thrown at him

Tsiiki
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 May 2013, 12:39 pm

So... used pedometer yesterday at work... and I move around half as much as average American
/shame

At 2500 steps/day.... including my daily badminton >___<
So I guess I'll slowly build that up to the average 5000 before looking into gym/sports/workouts...

*stilltemptedtotrytosuckupthepainandoverdoittogetintoshapefaster*

Also bought my month's groceries, with way more fruits/veggies than normal, and less yumyums than normal too, so sneaking in a little health slowly as well...

(Still debating the flexbit though, I don't like bracelets/wristbands, and if getting one would like a watch on it, so might find some other tracker. But for now have a pedometer)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2013, 8:32 pm

^^^
park the car and walk as much as you can, to places you have to go that are not all the way across town.

22 May 2013, 11:06 am

Try doing a 20 minute high intensity workout every day from bodyweight exercises to uphill sprinting. Endurance running and repetitive motions can become extremely boring, you need to mix it up and keep your mind focused.