Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2013, 7:29 pm

^^^Most likely,but never a buck goat,they taste like they smell.You can castrate the young males.I guess a old doe might grind up all right.Spices always help.But you will need to add some fat or it won't bind together good.We always added bacon ends to our deer sausage,half and half.We even had some venison made into summer sausage at a local butcher shop.I would think a goat would be just as good.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2013, 7:31 pm

^^^
the bacon in the sausage sounds like it tastes heavenly, it would even make me go off my diet. :oops:

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2013, 4:38 am

Popsicle wrote:
I like almost anything with BBQ sauce on it.

Do other countries have barbecue?

Not exactly but comparable. So typical US-smokers, gas grills and so on, can be bougth here too and around the last years more Yuppiehs buy them, but the classic "grill party" style around here (middle europe) is above a direct coal or better wood fire. So its rather unusual to grill a complete roast meat, as you can do with a smoker that stores a specific heat for a long time, instead you normally grill things that are not bigger then one person can eat.

Therefore there seems to be a broader variety (but can only compare, with what I see from US-barbecue grilling in the television), so its not only about flesh, but traditional also fish and lots of vegetables. (As examples upside down Mushrooms, with removed trunks and instead you give into the trunk hole a mix from cottage cheese, herbs and onions. Grilled potatoes with garlic/yoghurt sauce, Zucchinistrips or other similar vegetables that are marinated with some olive oil, pepper, salt, rosemary...,

We used in earlier times a tradtionial bowl grill, but built in our garden a fire place, like you use it for hiking. It gives us the advantage of more variety of different heat sections, by moving more and less hot ember around. Classic US Barbecue sauce got available the last years, but I know only a few people who like it, because the sweet/bitter taste is not to many peoples liking. So Burger King also offers classic Whopper with Barbecue Sauce around here, but most people eat other Burgers at Burger Kings.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2013, 10:20 am

Misslizard wrote:
This is a good sauce,it's a thin sauce and it's not sweet.

East Arkansas BBQ Sauce

2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp or more paprika
1/2 tsp red pepper,or more of you like it hot
2 tbs cider or red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup water

Shake well and serve in a shaker bottle,I use a recycled soy sauce bottle.

Wow! Thanks for posting that. I love vinegar/Carolina style sauces. I think I'm going to splurge and smoke some Cajun country ribs this weekend. Your sauce should go well with them.

Here's the Cajun rub I use...

1/4 cup celery salt
1/4 cup freshly-ground black pepper
1/4 cup freshly-white pepper
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon cayenne
1 tablespoon dried thyme
2 teaspoons dried sage

Rub on ribs 12 hours before smoking, cover and refrigerate. Smoke for 3-5 hrs @220-250F with apple, pecan or hickory wood, eat with favorite sides, and die of barbecue ecstasy. 8)

Quote:
I like to parboil my ribs first if I'm going to grill them.
If I do them in the oven I just cook them long and slow.
Then they are always tender.

That is exactly how my mom used to cook them. The barbecue snob in me would like to criticize cooking ribs this way... BUT the truth is, my mom's "fake" barbecue spareribs were as good or better than anything I pulled off my grill. :oops:

That's why I stick to county ribs (and country ribs stick to me)... :wink:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 9:46 pm

I wish I had a smoker,we just do the primitive method of building a fire and then using the coals.This works good in the winter if you "steal"coals from the wood heater.If the sun is out and there is beer,then it's BBQ weather.We do save our dead fruit tree wood to use.

DeVoTeE
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2013, 11:46 pm

Tonight, I roasted a whole pork shoulder on the gas grill. Oh, how I love watching meat cook over or next to an open flame.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 1:50 am

^^^
that sounds so yummy 8)

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 6:28 am

I used to have a big New Braunsfel smoker, and before that, I had a giant, homemade, stainless steel, barrel smoker... In either of those monsters I could smoke an entire side of pork.

Now, all I have is a Weber kettle grill and a smokenator ( http://www.smokenator.com )...

The smokenator works extremely well and does not require much tending once you get a feel for setting it up--The temperature stays very steady.

With this setup I can still smoke a turkey or a small pork shoulder. That's plenty for me.

:)

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

23 May 2013, 2:02 pm

I barbeque vegetables. pinneapples, and bread. there is a certain crispy texture only a barbeque can provide

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 4:48 pm

Schneekugel wrote:
Popsicle wrote:
I like almost anything with BBQ sauce on it.

Do other countries have barbecue?

Not exactly but comparable. So typical US-smokers, gas grills and so on, can be bougth here too and around the last years more Yuppiehs buy them, but the classic "grill party" style around here (middle europe) is above a direct coal or better wood fire. So its rather unusual to grill a complete roast meat, as you can do with a smoker that stores a specific heat for a long time, instead you normally grill things that are not bigger then one person can eat.

Therefore there seems to be a broader variety (but can only compare, with what I see from US-barbecue grilling in the television), so its not only about flesh, but traditional also fish and lots of vegetables. (As examples upside down Mushrooms, with removed trunks and instead you give into the trunk hole a mix from cottage cheese, herbs and onions. Grilled potatoes with garlic/yoghurt sauce, Zucchinistrips or other similar vegetables that are marinated with some olive oil, pepper, salt, rosemary...,

We used in earlier times a tradtionial bowl grill, but built in our garden a fire place, like you use it for hiking. It gives us the advantage of more variety of different heat sections, by moving more and less hot ember around. Classic US Barbecue sauce got available the last years, but I know only a few people who like it, because the sweet/bitter taste is not to many peoples liking. So Burger King also offers classic Whopper with Barbecue Sauce around here, but most people eat other Burgers at Burger Kings.

Thank you to both people who replied to my question about BBQ in other countries. I appreciate it and I like to learn new things.

This reply was very detailed, thank you for that (I love that.) This type of BBQ or grilled food sounds good to me also. I love grilled veggies, will even eat ones I don't normally like, if cooked that way. I don't normally eat mushrooms, it's not the flavor but the texture usually (though their flavor's very strong for me - I'm a 'super taster' I think.) But I would try those. I would also try the zucchini, another vegetable I don't usually go out of my way to try. (richardbenson's BBQ pineapple also sounds delish.)

I am not a big 'meat' person. I like fish and veggies and fruit much better. I will eat some types of meat sometimes; unfortunately my body chemistry seems to have changed so that I must eat some type of animal protein from time to time or get the shakes, never used to happen.

Types of BBQ sauce: I like smoky best, I don't like it too overly sweet, although I like sweet better than bitter. Spicy is OK but should be used in moderation, maybe more as a 'rub' or as a marinade, depending if powder or liquid. The best BBQ is smoky, sweet and spicy, but very hard to define. People here add all sorts of things including Dr Pepper to their BBQ sauce at times.

There are many many many companies (in the U.S.) making and selling all variety of BBQ sauce flavors, from the 'big brands' which are often cloyingly sweet and to be avoided, to smaller companies, making things which are more like 'home made' recipes. Those are usually more unique and delicious.

Cooking out or barbecuing is big in the States. Typically it involves a personal size grill, and cooking for two or more people. If a person cooked for one they'd use a grill plate over their stove burner. A Sunday BBQ is popular, usually involving neighbors or family. People bring side dishes, or the host supplies it all, things like potato salad, potato chips, baked beans, sometimes a brownie or dessert (not always), and then the meat is usually hamburgers and hot dogs. People get fancier if they make steaks, bratwurst, salmon, or shish ke bab.

In a BBQ restaurant, they typically own a huge oven or smoker, usually outdoors, and cook a whole pig (usually without its head) for most of a day. They baste it frequently during that time.

If you can find episodes of "Diners, Drive Ins and Dives" or "Feasting on Asphalt" on you tube, those Tv shows often feature BBQ restaurants or diners.

Here (at a grocery), we buy an organic chicken breast that has been BBQ basted, but, it's nothing like they make in the South or Midwest...the West coast isn't so big on their BBQs for some reason. Here, Mexican food is much more popular than BBQ. Very hard to get good Southern or Midwestern food on the West coast. I miss it.