Feel shaky and absent minded after emotional stimulation?

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2013, 10:51 am

oftenaloof wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
When I get mad, the forms of everything disappear, and it all becomes a big flash.

Interesting. I had no idea other people got this. It's toned down as I get older but when I am extremely raging mad I get this too.

I had this happen when I got into a physical fight with a road rager at a gas station several years ago. I was driving together with my father but he was following me in a separate car. I passed a semi and he was behind me. Another car was quickly coming up from behind and my dad didn't want that car to get between us but this guy didn't like it and drove up his tail pipe. I think my dad flipped him off. We got off at a gas station five miles or so down the road and there was the guy screaming and cussing out my father. I just remember going completely numb before hauling off on the guy. It was completely uncharacteristic of me as a shy and socially anxious person. My father or someone else grabbed my arms and pulled me off him and he managed to hit me in the nose. It didn't really hurt but when I noticed I was bleeding profusely I got even more enraged and my vision started to get weird like you describe. I punched the side of my car until it was dented my hand was pretty badly injured. I don't think I could feel pain at that point. That was the most frightningly out of control I've ever been in my life. I had that severe shakiness and zoned out feeling for a week or more afterwards.

girly_aspie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 May 2013, 11:13 am

I've definitely had this. It's almost a zen state of dissociation for me, like I can't think to the future or the past, I'm just right in the moment because I can't handle anything else. It's sort of beautiful and simple, but that could very well be because I'm trying to focus and can't devote any brain power anywhere else.

After something really emotional or intense, I tend to feel very heavy, like I'm moving in a slowed down way.

AQ: 44
IQ: 167
Aspie Quiz Result: 185/200
NT result: 22/200
BAP: 132 aloof, 108 rigid and 121 pragmatic

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

19 May 2013, 10:17 pm

oftenaloof wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
When I get mad, the forms of everything disappear, and it all becomes a big flash.

Interesting. I had no idea other people got this. It's toned down as I get older but when I am extremely raging mad I get this too.

Does everything turn white?

Drehmaschine
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2013, 7:54 am

I get all weird like that when I have to go to break. I can't come down from the level of stimulation I get when working with my lathes. It's even hard to eat, I have to choke everything down and keep myself from racing back in to the workplace.

FirstDay
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jul 2013, 10:35 am

marshall wrote:
Does anyone else get this way. It's like I feel slightly clumsier or stiffer and feel like I'm lost in thought and it's harder to focus. Often after this happens I may forget something or lose something because I just can't focus on the here and now. This feeling of being unable to focus generates more anxiety and makes me feel more more socially detached. People will say something to me and it will take me more than the normal split second to respond and I'll find it harder to get my words out. I've noticed it after watching a movie in the theater, going to a rock concert, or after I get into a deep discussion with people. Also, after I do anything even mildly stressful this tense effect lingers for a while afterwards. I notice that being around certain people triggers it as well. I find it bothersome when it interferes with my confidence with people. If I feel like I have to clench my fist or don't know where to put my hands due to this feeling it interferes with my body language. I feel like this is a major problem that interferes with my social ability.

I think I can relate to this. I get totally exhausted after too much talking, even when I talk to someone I like and feel confident with, and even when (or maybe especially when) I talk about something I'm interested in. At first, I get overexcited and start speaking faster and louder than usual (and I have to control it, otherwise it sounds somewhat weird); then it becomes harder and harder for me to focus and to speak clearly; I start making stupid speaking errors. At this point, the best thing to do is to withdraw from conversation. That's why I like to have someone with me, preferrably someone more NT, who can jump in and talk when I'm starting to shut down. One-to-one conversations (like when someone comes to visit me and stays for hours) are quite a problem.
Then it takes some time to slow down because my brain keeps working at high rpm although I'm no longer talking; and then I have these aftereffects, exactly as you wrote: shaky, absent minded, drained, clumsy, but with no anxiety; anxiety is something I have before meeting people. Some people told me it looks like stupor, but inside I'm overstimulated.
A long and emotional talk on the phone can have the same aftereffects.

Actually, this is the reason why I mostly feel no satisfaction after socializing.

SteelBlu
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jul 2013, 11:00 am

This happens to me, too. I get this jittery, weird, wired-but-drained, floaty, lingering feeling, after especially deep conversation, and after fortune-telling (if it's a good session) at times. Now that you mention it, I have noticed the same feeling after going to the movies, too.

ETA: If this happens due to intense conversation, like others, I end up speaking quickly and intensely, and, when I get too far into it, can stammer/stutter and begin making speaking errors.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 1:23 pm

FirstDay wrote:
marshall wrote:
Does anyone else get this way. It's like I feel slightly clumsier or stiffer and feel like I'm lost in thought and it's harder to focus. Often after this happens I may forget something or lose something because I just can't focus on the here and now. This feeling of being unable to focus generates more anxiety and makes me feel more more socially detached. People will say something to me and it will take me more than the normal split second to respond and I'll find it harder to get my words out. I've noticed it after watching a movie in the theater, going to a rock concert, or after I get into a deep discussion with people. Also, after I do anything even mildly stressful this tense effect lingers for a while afterwards. I notice that being around certain people triggers it as well. I find it bothersome when it interferes with my confidence with people. If I feel like I have to clench my fist or don't know where to put my hands due to this feeling it interferes with my body language. I feel like this is a major problem that interferes with my social ability.

I think I can relate to this. I get totally exhausted after too much talking, even when I talk to someone I like and feel confident with, and even when (or maybe especially when) I talk about something I'm interested in. At first, I get overexcited and start speaking faster and louder than usual (and I have to control it, otherwise it sounds somewhat weird); then it becomes harder and harder for me to focus and to speak clearly; I start making stupid speaking errors. At this point, the best thing to do is to withdraw from conversation. That's why I like to have someone with me, preferrably someone more NT, who can jump in and talk when I'm starting to shut down. One-to-one conversations (like when someone comes to visit me and stays for hours) are quite a problem.
Then it takes some time to slow down because my brain keeps working at high rpm although I'm no longer talking; and then I have these aftereffects, exactly as you wrote: shaky, absent minded, drained, clumsy, but with no anxiety; anxiety is something I have before meeting people. Some people told me it looks like stupor, but inside I'm overstimulated.
A long and emotional talk on the phone can have the same aftereffects.

Actually, this is the reason why I mostly feel no satisfaction after socializing.

I identify with this. If something that interests me comes up I have the tendency to want to talk in a pressured way in order to get everything I want to say out. I feel like I try to consciously taper my enthusiasm because I feel awkward and slightly taken aback when the person I'm speaking with doesn't show enough interest or enthusiasm. I think as I've gotten older it's become a complex where I'm trying so hard to appear more NT that it kills off my energy.

I think the "after effect" feeling is overstimulation, not anxiety. It can be accompanied by anxiety but as you said, the anxiety usually peaks before the event while the overstimulation peaks afterwards. The problem I have is there's a part of me that craves stimulation, and I get this horribly empty/anxious/depressed feeling when I don't do enough. Also, the less often I go out the lower my stimulation tolerance becomes. I do better when I can have regular social interaction with the same people, but it has to be something deeper than superficial work-related interaction.