yes, but I usually dumb down my speech for others 47%  47%  [ 15 ]
yes, and I don't dumb down my speech for others 38%  38%  [ 12 ]
no, I use puny, underfed words 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 32

onefourninezero
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jan 2007, 12:32 pm

I don't consider myself to use 'big words', but judging by the amount of times people ask me in a day to rephrase what I'm saying in plain english, maybe I am using 'big words'...

I think I probably just use more words in a sentence than is absolutely necessary and it throws people off. I can't help myself, the english language is so deliciously, tantalisingly rich!

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2007, 12:48 pm

onefourninezero wrote:
I don't consider myself to use 'big words', but judging by the amount of times people ask me in a day to rephrase what I'm saying in plain english, maybe I am using 'big words'...

I think I probably just use more words in a sentence than is absolutely necessary and it throws people off. I can't help myself, the english language is so deliciously, tantalisingly rich!

YEAH, besides! NOBODY is going to know and lern even the words that were around when I was born, let alone today. Sooner or later, if you get around, you WILL have to look something up.

Steve

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2007, 12:53 pm

I have a two-dollar vocabulary, and I absolutely refuse to "dumb it down." Since when is it a crime to have a great toolbox of words at your disposal? Yes, a lot of my peers think I'm an arrogant show-off because of my stilted, professor-ish speech patterns and overall verbosity, but I don't care. This is how I am, and that's just the way it's going to be...
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2007, 1:21 pm

I'll admit that I look up words routinely because I cannot remember them. :oops:

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2007, 2:32 pm

onefourninezero wrote:

Maybe you're just using big concepts.

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2007, 3:32 pm

I usually don't, unless I'm talking about dinosaurs. Sometimes I use big words online, but not often.

Just what is the definition of a "big word" anyway?

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2007, 4:36 pm

I am somewhat circumlocutionary.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2007, 4:37 pm

I use them as they are necessary to reach the level of expression I am attempting to attain. I try to keep my language simple within those limits.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2007, 5:05 pm

I use big words, a lot.

Quest_techie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2007, 6:21 pm

I use big words when it's faster than using small ones or when I need a greater degree of precision

otherwise it's pointless

kayetes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jan 2007, 6:28 pm

How's again that word from Mary Poppins, I never use? :wink:

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2007, 6:31 pm

ghostgurl wrote:
I usually don't, unless I'm talking about dinosaurs. Sometimes I use big words online, but not often.

Just what is the definition of a "big word" anyway?

I don't know HOW it got its (ahem) appellation, but it IS misleading. Some short words are "big" and some large ones may not be considered "big". Basically, it is a arcane word. Of course, everyone has their OWN idea of which words apply there.

If you had a word frequency list, every word after say 3000 MIGHT be considered a "big" word by someone.

Steve

Immortal
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2007, 6:38 pm

Not so much anymore. I have learned over time not to, because the average person won't know what I'm talking about...but if I want to, I am able to.

I remember in the third grade, we were assigned to write a children's book aimed at ages 4-6. When I passed mine in, it had a note on it that said "Good story, but a little advanced for your audience."

For most of the other children...it was the easiest writing assignment of the year.