Texas: 2 State Autism Bills Need Support in Legislature

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

blondeambition
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2013, 9:58 am

With the help of lobbying by parents, legislators in Texas have managed to get 2 bills for more private insurance autism coverage up for votes this week! In Texas, private insurance companies are required to provide autism coverage until a child's tenth birthday. Senate Bill 1484, would lift the age cap so people can continue to get autism treatment--speech, ABA, occupational therapy, etc.--past the age of ten. House Bill 3276 would require private insurers to cover autism screening for children ages 18 and 24 months.

If you live in Texas, have media contacts, or have Texas contacts, your help is needed. I have personally been up to the state capitol six times this year as a volunteer for the Autism Society of Greater Austin to press for more state funding for autism programs and in support of these bills. A lot of parents have also been calling their senators and representatives. However, there is not enough attention for these bills outside of Austin, and at least one anti-government regulation group has come out against the autism screening bill for children ages 18 and 24 months.

If you don't know who your legislator is and live in Texas, check this website: http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/Home.aspx
If you copy the above link into your web browser, you can easily get the phone numbers of your Texas senator and state rep.

Below is a message that members of the Greater Austin Autism Society got from State Rep. Ron Simmons, an Autism Society board member:

Subject: SB 1484 - Autism coverage beyond age 10.

Texas Senate Bill 1484 will be voted on the Texas House of Representatives on Monday and Tuesday (2nd and 3rd readings). This lifts the age limit on treatment coverage from age 10 where it stands today. It would be a good idea to mobilize the forces to contact all the representatives in the House encouraging them to vote yes on this bill.

Also my autism screening bill (HB3276) will be voted on in the Texas Senate on Monday or Tuesday. This is the final vote so any mobilization to contact all the Texas Senate would be appreciated.

Ron

I want to sent a message to the state legislature: Parents of children with autism want action!

www.freevideosforautistickids.com is my website with hundreds of links and thousands of educational videos for kids, parents and educators. Son with high-functioning classic autism, aged 7, and son with OCD/Aspergers, aged 4. I love my boys!

blondeambition
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2013, 4:23 pm

Both of the bills just passed! Unless the governor decides to veto, Texas has got two new autism laws to improve insurance coverage!

The states tend to copy each other's autism laws, so hopefully these laws will spread.

(This is not to say everyone should move to Texas, by any means. There are waiting lists and funding shortfalls all over the place. Some funding was increased, but not nearly enough to meet the demand for those needing services paid for by the state. Texas has a lot of good programs on the books that just don't have enough money.)

www.freevideosforautistickids.com is my website with hundreds of links and thousands of educational videos for kids, parents and educators. Son with high-functioning classic autism, aged 7, and son with OCD/Aspergers, aged 4. I love my boys!