Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2007, 8:43 pm

I do and they're less frequent than they used to be. I wound up pulling an all nighter this past Sunday, and going into work in spite of it. The last time that happened was back in September.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2007, 10:09 pm

Yes, I am troubled by insomnia.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2007, 4:13 am

I just wait until I collapse from physical exhaustion.

JackieBlue75
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jan 2007, 8:35 pm

Scoots5012 wrote:
Do you ever have those night where your brain just won't settle down?

I had one of those nights last night. Anyways, I lay thinking about the upcoming school year. The visualizations started rolling and before I knew it, it was 3:30 in the morning.

Don't you just hate those kinds of nights that throws your sleep cycle way off, especially just after you've gotten back into a cycle.

This happens to me ALL the time. And it doesn't help either that I'm an adolescent. Like other people mentioned, sometimes obsessions control your mind so you can't settle and begin to shut down in order to sleep. But sometimes for me it doesn't even have to be my interests that keep me from sleeping; sometimes it will just be random visualizations going through my mind over and over again , or other times, it can be just the chorus of any random song playing over and over again in my mind. It's unstoppable. Does this happen to all people with AS?

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2007, 11:05 pm

Seriously...

Each and every night of my life is like the night you had, Vegasadelphia.

My brain is on 24/7 and it won't quit. Literally.

andy1976uk
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2007, 8:42 am

markaudette wrote:
Seriously...

Each and every night of my life is like the night you had, Vegasadelphia.

My brain is on 24/7 and it won't quit. Literally.

Invest in one of these, unless you have epilepsy, then avoid at all costs:

http://www.tripzine.com/listing.php?smlid=162

DanRyder
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jan 2007, 12:26 pm

I've been an insomniac for a long, long time. It was one of the traits that i first recognised that linked me to AS.

parts
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2007, 2:00 pm

I have always had screwed up sleeping patterns. Some nights I only get 2-3 hours sleep I get tired but the problem is my mind just doesn't want to sleep. I had a sleep study done with no clear results,I have tried many different meds with mixed results and none of them working more than a few weeks.

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2007, 10:02 am

I always have that.
That's why i need sleeping medication to keep my sleeping pattern from breaking down.
Can't get up at 6.30 am every morning if you can't sleep before 3 am.
It just doesn't work getting 3 hours day after day when you need 8.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2007, 10:17 am

I read that, before a major race, Roger Bannister could not sleep at all. He would be soaked in sweat and could not sleep at all due to nerves.

skyguysmom
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jan 2007, 7:55 pm

i always have trouble sleeping, and even when i do lay down to go to sleep it always takes me longer than 30 mins to fall asleep.

NeoPlatonist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2007, 9:02 pm

skyguysmom wrote:
i always have trouble sleeping, and even when i do lay down to go to sleep it always takes me longer than 30 mins to fall asleep.

Same here, plus I can never really settle down and go to bed. Late at night I keep on finding things to do like surf WP, play video games, look up some piece or other of sound or computer equipment, and before I know it, it's 3:00AM and I feel too tired to get ready for bed. I always have to take a shower before bed or I can't sleep because I feel too sticky but I'm too tired to drag myself to the bathroom down the hall and I can't sleep without it. :?

So, short answer, yeah, I have trouble sleeping.

nicklegends
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jan 2007, 9:30 pm

I cannot say I've had a night where I was entirely unable to sleep, but I used to have some problems with falling asleep, to the extent I'd lie in bed for about three hours after getting comfy for my eyes to close for the night. For whatever reason, and I have absolutely no clue why, I've gotten a lot better recently at getting rest over the past year. (Well, maybe it's because of reduced stress.) One thing I've tried that helps me fall asleep, too, is counting backwards from 1,000 in my head, breathing in on the even numbers, and out on the odd. It's really relaxing. I've never actually reached zero before (you too can fall asleep in less than 500 breaths!) but if you really have a problem sleeping, you can start at a higher number. Try it out. Seriously.

I get the impression that my body was built for a 26-hour day. Every morning comes too soon, and every night starts too early. I'd be curious to see how I acted in a room totally cut-off from sunlight for a week or two.

Going back on topic, my mind is still really active at night. I just have to distract it with something sleep-inducing for anything to happen.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2007, 1:17 am

nicklegends wrote:
...I used to have some problems with falling asleep, to the extent I'd lie in bed for about three hours after getting comfy for my eyes to close for the night. For whatever reason, and I have absolutely no clue why...

That was me, from as early as I remember to age 14. It took me hours to fall asleep, even when I felt tired when going to bed. So every day, I'd be lying in bed, watching the clock, feeling bored out of my mind, and still unable to sleep. When my parents found out about my insomnia, they "solved" the problem by taking the clock out of my room each night! Apparently, they thought that watching the clock is what kept me awake. Needless to say, the problem got even worse, because now I couldn't even tell how long I was lying awake for. (I was allowed to get the clock back after a few years.) When I discovered that sleep aids existed, I felt like discovered something magical. I envisioned myself taking a pill or two, going to bed, and falling asleep within minutes. My parents, however, had a different idea. They told me I couldn't have them, because it wasn't a natural way to fall asleep, and they were addictive in the long run. (In some way, they had a point, I guess.)

nicklegends
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jan 2007, 1:36 am

Huh, I also started having trouble around age 14. Interesting...

Aspie1 wrote:
I envisioned myself taking a pill or two, going to bed, and falling asleep within minutes. My parents, however, had a different idea. They told me I couldn't have them, because it wasn't a natural way to fall asleep, and they were addictive in the long run. (In some way, they had a point, I guess.)

My parents felt very similar to that, as they are generally against using drugs when practical natural means are available. Instead of sleeping pills, they sent me a large number of articles about getting better sleep. I'm not sure how much they helped out, but at least the problem's gone now. One more thing I've learned from experience is that worrying about how much sleep you're getting doesn't help anything; try to convince you're body you're getting more than enough sleep, no matter what the hour is. It, albeit strange, helps.

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2007, 1:50 am

Each and every goddamn night of my life is spent tossing and turning at night as my mind races in thought. I have always tried my hardest to stop but I am can't ever stop it. My mind just races and races. Always churning. Always...

I have always had a difficult time getting to sleep. Coupled with the fact I have a screwed up Circadian rythm, I am left so utterly exausted at night. And it goes on, night after night.