Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 6:15 pm

I have been a bit on the fat side in the past..... These days though I am very slim but what worries me is that I will become fat again when I enter my 40s or 50s. I am 23 and my goal is to stay slim my whole life.

How can I remain slim into old age? It will all depend on my attitude as I age.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 7:58 pm

metabolism slows as we age about 10% every ten years. older folks need to eat less than younger folks or they will gain weight.

AspieWolf
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 9:32 pm

It's a common problem as we age. These days I am careful to watch my weight. I eat less and try to exercise more. The real problem however, is that no one should live beyond 30. Remember that old movie Logan's Run? They had the right idea! Quit while you're ahead. :lol:

Some of us just have a little more madness than others!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2013, 10:35 pm

Jamesy wrote:
I have been a bit on the fat side in the past..... These days though I am very slim but what worries me is that I will become fat again when I enter my 40s or 50s. I am 23 and my goal is to stay slim my whole life. How can I remain slim into old age? It will all depend on my attitude as I age.

congratulations! you are outperforming your peers. :wtg: the way to stay fit starts NOW with eliminating any white food [sugar, starch, white flour] from your diet*, and to exercise at least a half-hour [hard enough to break a sweat] most days, rain or shine. just do those two things and you will stay fit! it is not rocket science. * the asterisk is to indicate that instead of the white food, you should eat healthy fats [omega 3 as in fish, olive and canola oils], lean proteins and unrefined carbs [whole wheat]. limit potatoes and corn to special treats. more beans and brown rice. quinoa and oats. salad should always be the main dish. I know I sound like a broken record here, but I speak with the zeal of the recently converted. Image

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

23 May 2013, 11:51 pm

I only eat once a day. I do not eat breakfast, I've always been skinny so i'm not worried about getting fat but I would just watch what you eat.
remember, you are what you eat. :wink:
good luck to you. try not to stress out about your weight, its not that big of a deal

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 10:59 am

I've always been very thin and people always ask me how. I eat a lot of rice and vegetables and not much meat or fried foods. Unlike many Asians, I don't even eat fish (I hate it). I also eat less than almost every adult I know. Even though I have chronic pain, I am constantly moving around, even if it's just cleaning something. It helps that I can never sit still and have a constant need to make music.

To me, just sitting still is a waste of time, unless I am relaxing (which is not a waste of time) but I try to use logic to determine what ratio of rest and relaxation is appropriate. I don't do things according to emotion. I find that a lot of people eat just because they want to eat, not because they need to eat. I only eat when I actually feel hungry and stop eating when hunger goes away. I rarely stuff myself. I don't eat sweets very often, either. Whole grains are important and so is water. Sometimes people think they are hungry when they are actually thirsty. Oh, I never drink soda either. That stuff is trash. I drink a lot of white and green tea.

That's what works for me. And I'm quite happy with my diet.

You really are what you eat.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 1:12 pm

Never drink any form of Soda.
Never eat or drink anything that says sugar free without checking to see if it contains artificial sweeteners that have been shown to actually increase weight more than sugar.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 1:49 pm

One way to get full without consuming a lot of calories is to eat fresh fruits and vegetables. Studies have shown that eating cooked food causes more weight gain than raw food. Most of the healthier items I recommend have a short shelf life. One way around this is to blend the food (better than cooking) then freeze it until you need it. I can make 3 weeks worth of food in one afternoon.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 9:58 pm

dr. joel furhman's nutritarian diet is interesting, but I can't handle the sheer quantity of raw foods, especially the mushrooms and raw onions, too pungent for me.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 3:12 pm

Auntblabby, you'd be suprised how much a pineapple can cover up the taste of the other vegetables. Then again, I eat this stuff as it's thawing, eating it at room temperature is a different story. Dr. Fuhrman's diet looks interesting, I like how he practically does away with dairy products.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 2:19 am

^^^
pineapple, eh? i'll have to remember that. mebbe mix pineapple in with my salad or something like that.