Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 11:36 am

If humanity was destroyed by some strange calamity in which all traces human civilization is eradicated and forests are replaced by some strange force. Let's say this force calls itself ominous. Ominous has spared a few humans on the planet and Ominous lifts you up in the air and puts you into some kind of protective bubble. You and the are brought to a structure in space on the other half of the galaxy and Ominous tells you why he destroys humanity. He has placed you into a comfortable room in which you can have food, drink and entertainment.

He said that "Humanity has become corrupt and evil and this is why I destroyed your species. I have increased your life span so you can live thousands of years. Your mission is to create a new sentient species that will inhabitant the earth. All traces of your civilization have been cleansed so the new sentient species you will create will never know about you as a species. If you refuse to do this your life will be liquidated by electrocution. As a show of demonstration as to what I am capable of here is my glory of a person from a previous species who refused to obey me." The person is electrocuted and is gruesome." He also said "To help you to do this each of you will be provided with a laboratory, knowledge of physics, chemistry, biology, genetics and other relevant knowledge. Your IQs will be uplifted into the 200s as well. Your thoughts will be monitored for thoughts of escape. I expect a status report on your progress every 100 years. "

Everyone realizes there is nothing they can do and they have to do this. They can't cry for the loved ones they lost.

You are one of these people chosen? How would you design your new sentient species? What characteristics would you give them? What would you do to make sure they didn't make the same mistakes humanity made and what would you do so they can destroy Ominous in the future?

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 1:00 pm

Well "Omnious" is a sociopathic, genocidal tyrant.

I guess I'd create post-Surak Vulcans.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 1:18 pm

I'd make them Super Saiyan Level 4.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 2:52 pm

CSBurks wrote:

He sounds alot like God in the Old Testament.

In fact this is almost a ripoff of the Noah Story ( the only key difference being Noah didnt get to design posterity).

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 2:59 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
CSBurks wrote:

More like a Nazi death-camp doctor.

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 3:28 pm

Fnord wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
CSBurks wrote:

More like a Nazi death-camp doctor.

They are both genocide. The only difference is that God designed the beings that the murdered. Hence why he is a sociopath. Of course the Genesis stories are myths anyway.

TheTackyShirt
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 May 2013, 1:19 am

I would create dark elves so I could destroy ominous with advanced one-hand weapons and destruction magic. Like on my Skyrim game.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 9:00 am

The project could never be completed.

There is nothing really wrong with "humanity" from a biological standpoint. The issue is one of psychology. Our ability to THINK and REASON enables us to do great good as well as great evil.

The only way to make an "improvement" on the original design would be to make humanity without the ability to do evil. This means hard-coding a set of values (which I'm not sure is possible...or whose values should be used). If humanity can't make war, how does it survive conflicts where not fighting = extinction? If you deny the ability to choose evil, are you impairing free will, and therefore limiting what humanity can ever aspire to?

The only option is to make the new race basically no better than animals...no higher intelligence or ability to evolve to be more intelligent...but that wouldn't be much of a sentient race.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 9:35 am

zer0netgain wrote:

There is nothing really wrong with "humanity" from a biological standpoint. The issue is one of psychology. Our ability to THINK and REASON enables us to do great good as well as great evil.

The only way to make an "improvement" on the original design would be to make humanity without the ability to do evil. This means hard-coding a set of values (which I'm not sure is possible...or whose values should be used). If humanity can't make war, how does it survive conflicts where not fighting = extinction? If you deny the ability to choose evil, are you impairing free will, and therefore limiting what humanity can ever aspire to?

The only option is to make the new race basically no better than animals...no higher intelligence or ability to evolve to be more intelligent...but that wouldn't be much of a sentient race.

You're right, the project would be impossible to complete. Ominous, does not understand this though. He is looking for the perfect race. What I want to do eventually is create a fictional sci-fi story. In this story, there are iterations of races who are created and evolve, become evil and Ominous destroys them. After that, the cycle starts over and over again. This has been happening for millions and millions of years. Each race takes their experience and imparts their wisdom to the new iteration. Some of the beings selected after the race is created and after they create the new race of sentient beings become a pantheon of gods or become a one true God. The people selected from the race also gets a chance to design the pantheon system or set of religion(s). From time to time, genetics are tinkered with and ideas are tinkered with as well.

In this fictional story, this is how we got the church of latter day saints. Ideas were tinkered with. This is a fictional story I want to create and I need some ideas like what the next race should be, what kind of genetics they should have, and what ideas to impart, etc. With each iteration, each race does become a bit better, more civilized and evolved.

What do you guys think?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 9:52 am

The whole idea might have once made a good episode for Outer Limits or Twilight Zone, but both of those shows are long out of production.

persian85033
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 1:39 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:

You're right, the project would be impossible to complete. Ominous, does not understand this though. He is looking for the perfect race. What I want to do eventually is create a fictional sci-fi story. In this story, there are iterations of races who are created and evolve, become evil and Ominous destroys them. After that, the cycle starts over and over again. This has been happening for millions and millions of years. Each race takes their experience and imparts their wisdom to the new iteration. Some of the beings selected after the race is created and after they create the new race of sentient beings become a pantheon of gods or become a one true God. The people selected from the race also gets a chance to design the pantheon system or set of religion(s). From time to time, genetics are tinkered with and ideas are tinkered with as well.

In this fictional story, this is how we got the church of latter day saints. Ideas were tinkered with. This is a fictional story I want to create and I need some ideas like what the next race should be, what kind of genetics they should have, and what ideas to impart, etc. With each iteration, each race does become a bit better, more civilized and evolved.

What do you guys think?

I already want to read the story! :lol:

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 1:55 pm

I think the new species would need a level of intelligence beyond our own. They would have to favor cooperation over competition, they would need great patience, understanding, and have no concept of greed. But they would need to be able to defend themselves and strive for survival like all life does now.

In order to destroy Ominous....I don't know how they would destroy Ominous.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 1:48 pm

Robdemanc wrote:
I think the new species would need a level of intelligence beyond our own. They would have to favor cooperation over competition, they would need great patience, understanding, and have no concept of greed. But they would need to be able to defend themselves and strive for survival like all life does now.

Exactly and your right. How they would destroy Ominous would be beyond our understanding. How they would destroy Ominous would not be able to be written and would be left up to conjecture. In the end, they will succeed.

To create this story, I need more ideas so I can develop a blue print for this new species.

One thing that can help is this. What characteristics do you all admire in a person or a society?

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 1:49 pm

Fnord wrote:
The whole idea might have once made a good episode for Outer Limits or Twilight Zone, but both of those shows are long out of production.

I love both of these shows both the older and newer versions.

Now they have stupid reality shows.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 2:50 pm

Robdemanc wrote:

After the extinction of advanced mammals the likely survivors will be roaches, ants and one celled organism. One celled organisms have been alive on this planet for 3.5 billion years. Ants and Roaches have been around for about 250 million years.

As a survival characteristic intelligence is very overrated.

ruveyn

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 2:57 pm

I would make them a telepathic collective mind.