Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 1:40 pm

Is liking video games aged 23 something that I will grow out of in time? Us as pies develop more slowly in maturity.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 2:08 pm

No. I'm 38 and play video games. My mother is even older and plays video games. Video games aren't just for kids.

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

23 May 2013, 2:12 pm

No. The age of the average gamer is 33.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 2:43 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Us as pies develop more slowly in maturity.

I don't think that lking video games even at the age of 25 or 40 is actually related to AS.
A lot of people (NTs too) like video games and play them even as adults.
It's rather common.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 2:44 pm

Reading about the Xbox one, I can't help but feel that I've reached the end of the line, at least for console gaming. :cry:

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 2:49 pm

I am pushing 60 and only started playing video games in the last year or so. They meet my needs for a solitary activity that still offers excitement. They also help me maintain fast thinking and keen reaction times, two things that can wane with age.

However, I do have to watch out for when I find myself becoming overly stimulated or stressed by them. Being rushed and run through with an energy sword by a Covenant Elite is not all smiles and giggles for me. :-)

Andras
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 3:47 pm

staremaster wrote:
Reading about the Xbox one, I can't help but feel that I've reached the end of the line, at least for console gaming. :cry:
Same here, unless the Wii U has a huge price drop.

sixstring wrote:
Where did you get this information? I'm usually the oldest in a group when playing video games online unless it's a MMORPG. Either the older gamers don't play multiplayer games that much or I'm looking at the wrong places.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 3:57 pm

sixstring wrote:

find that hard to believe, i guess you would have to include all genres and everything though.

lacycurtains
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 May 2013, 4:18 pm

I think gaming is a factor of personality. Some of us will never outgrow them, but some of us have never understood the attraction. My husband finds nothing of interest in games, whether board games, card games, computer games. I, however, and our children, love games. I'm 59, and planning a big Guild Wars 2 weekend with my youngest girl, who's 31.

I really do think there's a common feature in our personalities that has nothing to do with age or gender.

Oh, Google thinks I'm a 35-40 year old man who is really into gaming, based on the websites I visit. Sillies.

G4m3r5h4n3
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 May 2013, 4:23 pm

I use to play the Wii, Xbox360 and PS3 all in one day, as I got older my interest has lessened, but now I am much more into PC gaming, I think this is the way forward, being able to store games in 'the cloud' and place them somewhere else, it's really useful and more efficient than keeping consoles locked in your room all day.

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

24 May 2013, 5:56 am

Andras wrote:
staremaster wrote:
Same here, unless the Wii U has a huge price drop.

sixstring wrote:
Where did you get this information? I'm usually the oldest in a group when playing video games online unless it's a MMORPG. Either the older gamers don't play multiplayer games that much or I'm looking at the wrong places.
How about PS4? It doesn't have the horrible features XO have.

http://kotaku.com/5931077/the-average-a ... rs-um-what

But you're right, their definition of a gamer is much too broad. If you only consider core gamers the age will drop a few years. But the longer games exist, the older the average gamer becomes.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 1:08 pm

Quote:
find that hard to believe, i guess you would have to include all genres and everything though.

I find it easy to believe. Most of my guildies in WoW are married with children.

xMistrox
Toucan
Toucan

24 May 2013, 2:04 pm

The average age of gamers (including cell phone games through MMOs) is 30. http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/7 ... -says-esa/

The average age of MMO gamers is about 26. 25% of MMORPG players are teenagers. 50% work full time, 36% are married and 22% have children. (Gamasutra had these statistics, not sure of the source).

RAADS-R: 189 total
Diagnosed 9/2013

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 3:13 pm

]How about PS4? It doesn't have the horrible features XO have.
[/quote]

I hope you're right. If PS4 won't need steady wi-fi to play single player games, I could be "back in the saddle". But it isn't looking good. In my heart I pretty much called it quits when I saw that trailer for COD: Ghosts featuring the dog wearing a kevlar vest with a camera attached to its butt.

Andras
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 5:32 pm

sixstring wrote:
True (I think?), but there aren't many interesting exclusives for it. If I want a game that's available for the PS4 and the PC it's an easy pick for me. I would pick the PC version for various reasons.

The Wii U has "Mario" games. I have always loved those games, back from the NES days till the Wii days. It's the only reason why I would get a Wii U but it's far too expensive right now in my opinion. So... no next gen consoles for me.... yet.

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

24 May 2013, 6:41 pm

Andras wrote:
sixstring wrote:
True (I think?), but there aren't many interesting exclusives for it. If I want a game that's available for the PS4 and the PC it's an easy pick for me. I would pick the PC version for various reasons.

The Wii U has "Mario" games. I have always loved those games, back from the NES days till the Wii days. It's the only reason why I would get a Wii U but it's far too expensive right now in my opinion. So... no next gen consoles for me.... yet.
PlayStation has always had the biggest amount of great exclusives. I don't see how this gen will be any different.
Wait for E3 to see more games.

@Staremaster : It's been confirmed you won't need to.