Page 246 of 246 [ 3683 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 242, 243, 244, 245, 246

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,977
Location: northeast US

13 Jul 2019, 4:51 am

Persephone29 wrote:
The Brothers Karamazov-Dostoevsky

loved it. loved alyosha for his sweetness and ivan for his wit and logic. kept being thrown by people passing out when they got emotional, though. it's not common.



cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,977
Location: northeast US

13 Jul 2019, 5:08 am

HighLlama wrote:
Kolyma Tales - Varlam Shalamov
Women Who Run With the Wolves - Clarissa Pinkola Estes
Archetypal Psychology - James Hillman
The Last Days of Socrates - Plato

my husband, a philosophy buff, wonders which plato dialogue this is - the apology?



KT67
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 May 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 547

13 Jul 2019, 5:34 am

Outrages Naoimi Wolf



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 23,113
Location: In a Book

19 Jul 2019, 11:14 am

I'm sad to report I've officially given up on Adam Bede.

I think I beat Redxk though. He suffered through 100 pages, while I managed 110.

It's almost exclusively dialogue with an insufferable dialect, there are too many characters, and I didn't like any of them.



Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Aug 2018
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,551

19 Jul 2019, 12:21 pm

Alexander Solzhenitsyn, The First Circle

cathylynn wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
The Brothers Karamazov-Dostoevsky

loved it. loved alyosha for his sweetness and ivan for his wit and logic. kept being thrown by people passing out when they got emotional, though. it's not common.

I've produced a list of my top ten Dostoevsky characters and posted it elsewhere on the site. My favourite Brothers K characters are as follows:

1. Alyosha Karamazov, the ideal of the Christian man.
2. Pavel Smerdyakov, the best-crafted and most hilariously tragic villain in fiction.
3. Fyodor Karamazov, a perfect illustration of the harmless but offensive ne'er-do-well type on the Russian model.
4. Father Zossima, for his sublime treatise on Christianity.
5. Katerina Ivanovna, for her sweetness and femininity.

cathylynn wrote:
HighLlama wrote:
Kolyma Tales - Varlam Shalamov
Women Who Run With the Wolves - Clarissa Pinkola Estes
Archetypal Psychology - James Hillman
The Last Days of Socrates - Plato

my husband, a philosophy buff, wonders which plato dialogue this is - the apology?

Yes. It's the title given to the latter work, I think, in the Penguin Classics edition, and maybe elsewhere too. Apparently, we're too thick to understand that the word "apology" has meanings other than that of showing contrition.



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 39,071
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

19 Jul 2019, 5:37 pm

Bullet Proof Witch: Curse Of The Daemon Beast, by F.J. Blair.

Second book in the western/fantasy series of a female peace officer/demon hunter who is in pursuit of the demon that had murdered her family.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2015
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,687

19 Jul 2019, 6:46 pm

cathylynn wrote:
HighLlama wrote:
Kolyma Tales - Varlam Shalamov
Women Who Run With the Wolves - Clarissa Pinkola Estes
Archetypal Psychology - James Hillman
The Last Days of Socrates - Plato

my husband, a philosophy buff, wonders which plato dialogue this is - the apology?


Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, and Phaedo.

Quote:
Yes. It's the title given to the latter work, I think, in the Penguin Classics edition, and maybe elsewhere too. Apparently, we're too thick to understand that the word "apology" has meanings other than that of showing contrition.


I missed your attitude in my time away, Prometheus :) It is kind of a misleading title, in some ways. How is The First Circle?


_________________
Unofficially human.


martianprincess
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 22 Jun 2019
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 204
Location: Kansas

19 Jul 2019, 7:36 pm

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, although it has been slow-going because I also have to read stuff for my classes.


_________________
The phone ping from a pillow fort in a corn maze
I don't have a horse in your war games
I don't even really like horses
I like wild orchids and neighbors with wide orbits