Page 241 of 296 [ 4736 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244 ... 296  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 4:32 pm

Hot Water Music, by Charles Bukowski.

Funny, if not irreverent, short fiction by one of my favorite authors about art, sex, alcohol, and joblessness.

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 4:35 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Funny, if not irreverent, short fiction by one of my favorite authors about art, sex, alcohol, and joblessness.

A rather good choice if I do say so myself.

I like wild orchids and neighbors with wide orbits

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 5:11 pm

martianprincess wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

A rather good choice if I do say so myself.

Danke!

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Sep 2019, 11:31 am

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a **** by Mark Manson

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2019, 11:48 am

I first read it in 1991, but it remains one of the most beautiful stories I know.

From Wikipedia:
Possession is a 1990 best-selling novel by British writer A. S. Byatt that won the 1990 Booker Prize. The novel explores the postmodern concerns of similar novels, which are often categorised as historiographic metafiction, a genre that blends approaches from both historical fiction and metafiction.

The novel follows two modern-day literary academics as they research the previously unknown love affair between famous fictional poets Randolph Henry Ash and Christabel LaMotte. Possession is set both in the present day and the Victorian era, contrasting the two time periods, as well as echoing similarities and satirising modern academia and mating rituals. The structure of the novel incorporates many different styles, including fictional diary entries, letters and poetry, and uses these styles and other devices to explore the postmodern concerns of the authority of textual narratives. The title Possession highlights many of the major themes in the novel: questions of ownership and independence between lovers, the practice of collecting historically significant cultural artefacts, and the possession that biographers feel toward their subjects.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2019, 5:08 pm

Get Shorty by Elmore Leonard
Critique of Pure Reason by Immanuel Kant.

Also just finished J.G. Ballard's Concrete Island and Beyond Good and Evil by Frederich Nietzsche.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 4:35 am

A Dead Man in Deptford by Anthony Burgess

martianprincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 8:22 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:

I first read it in 1991, but it remains one of the most beautiful stories I know.

From Wikipedia:
Possession is a 1990 best-selling novel by British writer A. S. Byatt that won the 1990 Booker Prize. The novel explores the postmodern concerns of similar novels, which are often categorised as historiographic metafiction, a genre that blends approaches from both historical fiction and metafiction.

The novel follows two modern-day literary academics as they research the previously unknown love affair between famous fictional poets Randolph Henry Ash and Christabel LaMotte. Possession is set both in the present day and the Victorian era, contrasting the two time periods, as well as echoing similarities and satirising modern academia and mating rituals. The structure of the novel incorporates many different styles, including fictional diary entries, letters and poetry, and uses these styles and other devices to explore the postmodern concerns of the authority of textual narratives. The title Possession highlights many of the major themes in the novel: questions of ownership and independence between lovers, the practice of collecting historically significant cultural artefacts, and the possession that biographers feel toward their subjects.

I started this book a few days ago because of this post - I'm absolutely loving it. Thanks!

I like wild orchids and neighbors with wide orbits

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 8:32 am

martianprincess Image

I'm so glad you're enjoying it! I'm in the midst of Chapter 10 and just about to start for the day.

(( Maud )) ((Chapter 5 )) :heart:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2019, 3:58 pm

Rose Madder by Stephen King.

Stardust_Dragonfly
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 6:30 am

'How to live like your cat' by Stephanie Garnier.
I actually ordered Attwood's 'Been There. Done That. Try This!: An Aspie's Guide to Life on Earth' but was sent the other book instead (a replacement is on the way). But maybe I need to learn to be more cat-like!- packaging error or some form of divine intervention? Who knows :lol:

Trophonius
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Oct 2019, 11:13 am

I'm reading Caín by José Saramago.

This book plays with biblical history starting with a brief description of the Genesis, and starts to diverge after Caín kills Abel. From there on follows Caín through many places and times (he leaps back and forward in time ocasionally) meeting different biblical characters (some of them apocryphal, like Lilith, who in this book is Caín' becomes s lover).

I can see why this book was polemical in Portugal. Some descriptions may seem highly offensive to dogmatic Christians.

Laeril
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Oct 2019, 4:39 pm

Overcoming Overwhelm by Dr. Samantha Brody and Invictus by Ryan Graudin

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 10:10 pm

Tales Of Ordinary Madness, by Charles Bukowski.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2019, 12:07 pm

Book of the Bivy

Ronald Turnbull

Trophonius
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Oct 2019, 6:32 am

Emma, by Jane Austen.

It's entertaining and funny, but sometimes it comes as a self-indulgent fancy of an aristocratic woman.