Page 263 of 297 [ 4750 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266 ... 297  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2021, 8:36 pm

A first edition copy of The Life and Private History of Emily Jane Brontë, by Romer Wilson (1928).

It's a quick read and I'm digging it, although some of her claims are unfounded, or dispelled by subsequent research.

I really like her style and she posits many insightful theories.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2021, 1:45 am

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2021, 12:48 pm

Say Nothing: A True Story of Murder & Memory in Northern Ireland

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2021, 11:45 am

Reading Foundation by Isaac Asimov

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2021, 12:13 pm

Do androids dream of Electric sheep? By Philip K. Dick

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2021, 1:05 pm

In Order to Live by Yeonmi Park.

/Mats

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 9:19 pm

Sleeping Late on Judgement Day by Tad Williams.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2021, 9:31 pm

The best of Josie and the Pussycats 8)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 11:27 pm

I've been reading Emily Brontë's poems, and critical analyses of Gondal.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 11:34 pm

If It Bleeds, by Stephen King.

For those WP members who might recall that I had already reported reading this book, I must confess that I had set it down because I really hated one of the stories therein. I've since picked it up, again, and have found the story in question must have just been a fluke.

Charleyjustchillin
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jun 2021, 9:54 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

For those WP members who might recall that I had already reported reading this book, I must confess that I had set it down because I really hated one of the stories therein. I've since picked it up, again, and have found the story in question must have just been a fluke.

Which story did you hate?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2021, 4:21 pm

Charleyjustchillin wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

The one about that Chuck guy. First it's a story about the world coming to the end, which you learn is actually happening inside Chuck's head as he's dying, which I had actually liked. But then, it's as if it becomes a whole different story about Chuck as a kid learning about the secret room in his grandparent's house, where he sees his future death. It would have worked better as two different stories. I suppose the story about him dancing to the street musician was amusing. Over all, King should have just stopped with the first. I found myself irritated with the disconnected parts of the story.

Charleyjustchillin
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jun 2021, 4:36 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Charleyjustchillin wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

The one about that Chuck guy. First it's a story about the world coming to the end, which you learn is actually happening inside Chuck's head as he's dying, which I had actually liked. But then, it's as if it becomes a whole different story about Chuck as a kid learning about the secret room in his grandparent's house, where he sees his future death. It would have worked better as two different stories. I suppose the story about him dancing to the street musician was amusing. Over all, King should have just stopped with the first. I found myself irritated with the disconnected parts of the story.

Yeah, I was annoyed in a similar way. Though, in the end, I thought the book hung together well and I wouldn't throw that part out.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2021, 12:01 pm

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2021, 12:16 pm

When Dr. Sobraashii’s archeological research team found the Rule Of Man-era ruins they'd been seeking for the past year, the whole camp erupted into an impromptu party.  Everyone drank too much, including Tallei Haalein the research assistant.  When the party finally died down, Tallei the civilian stumbled over her friend Duek's boots in the tiny prefab they shared, then fell into her bunk and was instantly and deeply asleep.

But when shots rang out in the compound three hours later, the civilian was gone and Lance-Corporal Haalein, Imperial Army Rifle Instructor and all-round hard case, was back.

She woke to find that she was already rolling from her narrow bunk in the prefab living unit.  Twelve years of soldiering in the Emperor’s name had left certain useful instincts behind.  Like the one that got her moving before it woke her up.

Her Army-issue reflexes slipped feet into boots, ballistic vest over t-shirt, and draped her overjacket on top of that.  By the time her mind had realized it was awake and started to demand coffee she had scooped up her rifle and magazine bandolier.  She opened the door a crack to eyeball the situation...

-- from Characters & Combat, the Traveller's Handbook, copyright (C) 2006 by Quicklink Interactive

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Peter Crawford
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jun 2021, 3:59 pm

Finishing :