Page 259 of 297 [ 4752 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261, 262 ... 297  Next

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2021, 8:28 pm

A fun and interesting book arrived today!
It is a veritable cornucopia of inspiration for model builds which will:
a, probably never happen
b, be even slower than the ones I already have going.

Question for the group: When can I expect people who are shipping books to universally engage their brains and go, "Oh, if I ship this large and/or heavy hardcover IN A BAG the cover corners will get crunched!"?
Other than that it is in excellent shape.

Book is also informative to the degree that there are listings of the products in the endpaper montages.

EEngineer75
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Feb 2021, 12:01 am

A Complaint Free World

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think." --Buddha
There are two things upon which most people can agree:

1. There is too much complaining in the world.
2. The world is not the way we would like it.

In my opinion, there is a correlation between the two. We are focusing on what is wrong rather than focusing out vision on a healthy, happy, and harmonious world."

PS Checkout 1:40 for good definitions or descriptions of differences between complaining and feedback as a healthy communication skill:

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2021, 8:25 pm

I got a Warrior Cats book from the library, but it ended up being the manga version because I'm apparently illiterate, so I guess I'm reading cat manga now. lol

NettyLoki
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Feb 2021, 12:38 am

Hello Everyone I'm currently reading Manga named Komi Can't Communicate I'm finding the series relates too me in so many ways.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 12:03 pm

I’m currently reading “Wild”, having already read “Into the Wild”. I’m usually into psychological thrillers, but am finding Wild really speaks to me. Really loving it, so far. It’s about finding yourself, after loss. I also love nature and the wilderness, so this is right up my alley.

EEngineer75
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Feb 2021, 11:05 pm

The Four Loves, by CS Lewis

I’d been intrigued since a teenager hearing a sermon about the different types of “love” the Greeks knew of by a priest & professor.

This book is less scholarly but more... like a challenging essay by a smart, clever, but sincere college buddy on both the benefits and potential pitfalls of the various qualities of ... various driving forces—loves—in relationships of all kinds: familiarity, familial, fellowship, kindred spirits, infatuation, sexual, and more. (I’m likely botching the descriptions.). Anyhow, he offers a take on much more in human relations than just the word “love” can convey. And, it is a good thing the Greeks at least offer us more than one word for allowing us to appreciate so many complex relationships.

PS I want to listen to this radio interview/discussion on Think, and maybe read the related article.

https://think.kera.org/2021/02/24/why-t ... important/

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... ds/617839/

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Feb 2021, 11:09 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I got a Warrior Cats book from the library, but it ended up being the manga version because I'm apparently illiterate, so I guess I'm reading cat manga now. lol

Your post made me laugh out loud... a lot. Not sure why I found it so funny, maybe because I need sleep or because I've done something similar? Anyway, the manga looks pretty cool to me.

I'm reading: The Other End of the Leash: Why we do what we do around dogs by Patricia McConnell

"I sat with my anger long enough, until she told me her real name was grief."

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2021, 11:47 pm

The Jungle by Upton Sinclair

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2021, 2:34 pm

My Name Is Red by Pamuk

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2021, 2:58 pm

:skull: :skull: :skull:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2021, 9:49 pm

The Jungle by Upton Sinclair.

Jason Thayer
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Mar 2021, 11:09 am

Currently reading "Concrete Rose", a prequel to "The Hate You Give", written by Angie Thomas.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 12:46 pm

Shikamaru's story: A Cloud Drifting in the Silent Dark by Masashi Kishimoto and Takashi Yano.

Fixxer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2021, 2:21 pm

Emotional Intelligence
Book by Daniel Goleman

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 11:24 am

King Rat by China Mieville.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 3:39 pm

I'm seriously not keeping up well with my reading ambition... but I just picked up a few classics for a bargain at a downtown bookstore... So here we go: