Page 234 of 297 [ 4750 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 231, 232, 233, 234, 235, 236, 237 ... 297  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2019, 3:39 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
^
I really enjoyed "Olive Kitteridge" too.

Anybody here likes re-reading books? More than once?

I reread my books multiple times, some of them with rituals about where and when.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2019, 3:53 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
^

I reread my books multiple times, some of them with rituals about where and when.

Cool :) - I've read a few of my favourite books enough times to almost know them by heart. I do find new things in them every time though, or maybe it's just me changing. I do read very fast though and can't fall asleep without a couple of hours of reading, it calms me down.

I have rituals related to some of them too - usually those that have "sentimental" value to me.

When I cannot read in the original language, I also like to read different translations in other languages to compare, speaking of pedantic :oops:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2019, 4:10 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
^

Cool :) - I've read a few of my favourite books enough times to almost know them by heart. I do find new things in them every time though, or maybe it's just me changing. I do read very fast though and can't fall asleep without a couple of hours of reading, it calms me down.

I have rituals related to some of them too - usually those that have "sentimental" value to me.

When I cannot read in the original language, I also like to read different translations in other languages to compare, speaking of pedantic :oops:

I collect different editions of the same books, and I take notes while I read (even with fiction). When I read literary criticism or biographies, I cross-reference the sources and read biographies of the biographers.

You could call me pedantic as well.

kayell
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Apr 2019, 5:17 pm

The Darkening Age: The Christian Destruction of the Classical World
by Catherine Nixey

I mostly read non-fiction: botany and other life sciences, history, environmental, nature, evolution, feminism, some philosophy, secular buddhism... Some fiction, mostly scifi, speculative fiction of other kinds, some mysteries

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

breaks0
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2019, 5:33 pm

"Living Well on the Autism Spectrum" b/c my grad student therapist's post made her read it and assign it to all her patients, as the boss told us in our support group meeting this week. lol

"Shining a Light on the Autism Spectrum" is also good.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Apr 2019, 6:14 am

I'm re-reading The Sirens of Titan (Vonnegut) for the umpteenth time, and it still surprises me.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2019, 6:19 am

Claradoon wrote:
I'm re-reading The Sirens of Titan (Vonnegut) for the umpteenth time, and it still surprises me.

I read that in January for the first time. Poor Martians.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Apr 2019, 9:55 am

domineekee wrote:
Claradoon wrote:

Did the main characters strike you as examples of Poor Us?

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2019, 9:59 am

I've just finished this:

A damn good read. I learned a heck of a lot about the cultural trends of 40s Russia, as well as about the background of my favourite composer. I was disappointed about his seeming lack of interest in Dostoevsky, over whom he much preferred Chekhov, but have renewed my understanding and appreciation of S's music.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2019, 10:03 am

Wretched Strangers, a poetry anthology. It's great.

It has a mix of British poets who are living abroad and poets who were born elsewhere but live in the UK. Mostly poems about immigration or identity.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2019, 10:14 am

Claradoon wrote:
domineekee wrote:
Claradoon wrote:

I see your point!
I didn't feel too sorry for the main characters, eventually they submit to their fate with grace. Is that like us?

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Apr 2019, 3:50 pm

domineekee wrote:
Claradoon wrote:
domineekee wrote:
Claradoon wrote:

I see your point!
I didn't feel too sorry for the main characters, eventually they submit to their fate with grace. Is that like us?

Yes, but if I put my mind into any one of them, their individual fate winds out as very similar to my own. That's what freaks me about Vonnegut. I'm always asking, "How did he know?"

Of course I didn't really start out as an obnoxious rich young man or like a woman who is just too good for anybody else. But the *way* they fall.

I inhabit each character as I read. Re Mars - I'm the one finding a note I wrote to myself before I killed my best friend, the note saying 'this isn't the real you, try to remember.' Mars is the business world to me. All those rules. All that brain-washing.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2019, 5:20 pm

An anthology of short cyberpunk stories called Cyber World.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2019, 5:43 am

The Wild Blue: The Men and Boys who Flew the B-24s over Germany by Stephen E. Ambrose.

WildColonial
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2019, 3:25 pm

Romantic Outlaws: The Extraordinary Lives of Mary Wollstonecraft and Mary Shelley by Charlotte Gordon for my book club discussion.

Stitch and b***h Crochet: The Happy Hooker by Debbie Stoller because I want to teach myself how to crochet.

A People’s History of the United States by Howard Zinn for my own education. It’s been a while since I picked it up, though.

“‘Why was I chosen?’ ‘Such questions cannot be answered,’ said Gandalf. ‘You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess: not for power or wisdom, at any rate. But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.’”

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2019, 3:31 pm

The Most Beautiful Woman In Town, by Charles Bukowski.

Birthday present from my wife. Anthology of Bukowski's short fiction, set in the theme of alcoholism, poverty, and mental illness, his stories range from the truly sad, to the hilarious, to the truly bizarre. So far, a great read.