Page 213 of 297 [ 4752 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216 ... 297  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2018, 8:26 pm

Mr.Robot wrote:
If audiobooks count, then i am listening to the German version of "the Lord of the rings: The fellowship of the ring"

I am feeling a little homesick right now

Do you hail from Deutschland? If so, what part?

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2018, 8:47 pm

I was born in the east back when the wall still surrounded us and grew up in Bavaria

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2018, 11:54 pm

Mr.Robot wrote:
I was born in the east back when the wall still surrounded us and grew up in Bavaria
Kurpfalz

My people had come from Germany way back in the 19th century. My paternal ancestors were Black Sea Germans - that is, they came from the Kurpfalz or Electoral Palatinate (present day northwest Baden-Wurttemberg i.e. the Kraichgau) before immigrating to Czarist Russia. My maternal ancestors came from East Prussia and Bavaria.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2018, 12:10 am

I'm reading the Introductory essay in The Cambridge Companion to the Brontës, Edited by Heather Glen. I hope to finish the first chapter before going to bed.

I want to finish all the Brontë books in my collection by August; then I might have another go at George Eliot's Middlemarch.

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2018, 4:59 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Mr.Robot wrote:
Kurpfalz

My people had come from Germany way back in the 19th century. My paternal ancestors were Black Sea Germans - that is, they came from the Kurpfalz or Electoral Palatinate (present day northwest Baden-Wurttemberg i.e. the Kraichgau) before immigrating to Czarist Russia. My maternal ancestors came from East Prussia and Bavaria.

Have you ever been to Europe to see for yourself where your ancestors originated, then?

My family is mainly of Hungarian/German and Silesian descent

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2018, 6:01 am

Mr.Robot wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Mr.Robot wrote:
Kurpfalz

Have you ever been to Europe to see for yourself where your ancestors originated, then?

My family is mainly of Hungarian/German and Silesian descent

I have not. I'd like to, though.

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2018, 6:18 am

I hope you will! It is absolutely worth every single penny

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2018, 8:47 am

A Brief History of Rock Off the Record - Wayne Robins

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2018, 10:21 pm

The Cambridge Companion to the Brontës, Edited by Heather Glen

Yes, I'm that predictable.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2018, 12:50 am

poetry booklet to celebrate 40 years of poetry open podium my late mother started and presented for the most time,
mix of dutch and the regional (dutch) low saxon participations

Sianann
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jun 2018, 4:08 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:

I daydream anout having a massive oak bookcase filled with a copy of every version of Wuthering Heights ever published. Sigh.

Sianann
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jun 2018, 4:09 am

Or even ‘about’ :D

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2018, 9:16 pm

Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

I daydream anout having a massive oak bookcase filled with a copy of every version of Wuthering Heights ever published. Sigh.

WAIT WHAT?! DO I HAVE A PARTNER IN MY LOVE OF THIS BOOK???? :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
I have a walnut "Brontë Cabinet" with 49 (soon to be 58) Brontë books -- multiple biographies of each of them including Branwell and Patrick, social histories, poetry, juvenilia and novels -- multiple copies of every novel. WH is my thing. It's my spirit novel and unending obsession, along with Emily.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2018, 2:16 am

I'm reading "Room" at the moment, written by Emma somebody (I think). Well, I'm not reading it as such, I'm listening to an online audiobook. The audiobook is about 10 hours long, so I've been listening to half an hour or an hour a night.

I've seen the film already. This may seem strange, but I prefer to watch the film first then read the book, because it gives me a better picture of what the book is about, as reading books isn't really my thing (although writing is).

Sianann
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jun 2018, 8:58 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

WAIT WHAT?! DO I HAVE A PARTNER IN MY LOVE OF THIS BOOK???? :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
I have a walnut "Brontë Cabinet" with 49 (soon to be 58) Brontë books -- multiple biographies of each of them including Branwell and Patrick, social histories, poetry, juvenilia and novels -- multiple copies of every novel. WH is my thing. It's my spirit novel and unending obsession, along with Emily.

O, lol, perhaps!

I read WH every year for years...not so in the last few years. I used to have biographies, etc. but my interests started to cast a bigger net and I gave books away (I know, I know...) in order to make room for other worlds. I actually went to Haworth two decades ago as a sort of pilgrimage...the house is a museum but I was not happy walking around it as I felt it to be so very intrusive on Emily’s still lingering sense of privacy. However, the moors were absolutely beautiful.

I am so impressed with your book-filled walnut Brontë cabinet...sounds like a work of art in itself. :heart:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2018, 11:52 am

Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sianann wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

O, lol, perhaps!

I read WH every year for years...not so in the last few years. I used to have biographies, etc. but my interests started to cast a bigger net and I gave books away (I know, I know...) in order to make room for other worlds. I actually went to Haworth two decades ago as a sort of pilgrimage...the house is a museum but I was not happy walking around it as I felt it to be so very intrusive on Emily’s still lingering sense of privacy. However, the moors were absolutely beautiful.

I am so impressed with your book-filled walnut Brontë cabinet...sounds like a work of art in itself. :heart:

How nice to hear from you! I also read WH once a year, always in the late autumn so I might enjoy tumultuous storms and dreary weather turning to snow along with Lockwood's travels. My ancestors were woolcombers who lived in Haworth at the time of the Brontës, and for generations beforehand, most having been baptized and / or buried by Patrick himself at St. Michael's. I'm intensely drawn to the area but also aware of Emily's desire for privacy. What a shame you gave away your books. If you decide to reread WH, let me know. I'd love to have a Brontë book club :) By the way, The Cambridge Companion is extraordinary. I love Juliet Barker's work in particular.

Do you think you will seek an assessment for neurodiversity?