Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 8:46 pm

I get so overwhelmed by emotional people. Don't get me wrong, I have many emotions of my own but I don't drown other people in them. It seems as though most people's actions and decisions are constantly driven by emotion. I get so tired of it and it really wears me down to where I want to run away. I can't handle it well.

I am very private and don't go on about emotion. Instead, if I really need to discuss something, I chose who to speak to and when to bring it up wisely. I don't think it's right to involve other people in my personal affairs whenever I feel like it. That's selfish since people have their own stresses in life to deal with. Also, I don't think everything should be made into a drama, especially when we can handle it ourselves.

I don't know... I've been told I'm overly stoic but those who know me well understand that I'm actually very passionate.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 9:25 pm

I will listen to people who need somebody to listen to them.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 11:35 pm

^ I like you.

As for the thread - I can't stand other peoples' anger. My sister's especially. It's like a dark cloud comes over me and I can't shake it off for weeks. Like the room is filled with emotion.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 11:36 pm

smudge wrote:
^ I like you. As for the thread - I can't stand other peoples' anger. My sister's especially. It's like a dark cloud comes over me and I can't shake it off for weeks. Like the room is filled with emotion.

I like you also :) what about when you yourself are angry, how is that for you?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 11:41 pm

I have a cousin who is so full of energy she acts like a drama queen. It overwhelm me and makes me feel overloaded. It stresses me out. Then I feel worn out being around her.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2013, 11:57 pm

auntblabby wrote:
smudge wrote:
^ I like you. As for the thread - I can't stand other peoples' anger. My sister's especially. It's like a dark cloud comes over me and I can't shake it off for weeks. Like the room is filled with emotion.

I like you also :) what about when you yourself are angry, how is that for you?

Thank you! :D

I did answer that question, but then decided to delete it as it brings back bad memories. :( I genuinely appreciate it that you asked, though. How does anger affect you?

Moomingirl
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 1:28 am

I hate people getting angry.

The other day at work three people shouted at me in the space of an hour, all for things that were nothing to do with me. I try to avoid having to deal with the public, but that day I had no choice, and one person after the other came in already angry. I think there must have been something in the air. It took me all evening to get over it though. :cry:

I get frustrated when things don't go well, but I don't go around shouting at people who are just doing their jobs.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 4:11 am

smudge wrote:
I did answer that question, but then decided to delete it as it brings back bad memories. :( I genuinely appreciate it that you asked, though. How does anger affect you?

it makes me feel like screaming. it takes up all my brain's neural cycles, so to speak. like it sucks all the air out of my mental room so nothing else can manifest itself except for angst. it is NOT GOOD! when i'm good and angry I have to get active in a big way. a long bout of outdoor exercise or indoor straightening and re-arranging will follow.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 10:45 am

There are some people that constantly need attention and make mountains out of molehills. Then they go to everyone they know, whine whine whine, and get angry when no one wants to take part in their pity-party.

These people seem addicted to drama and a victim mentality.

That's what I'm specifically talking about. I have a friend who is this way. It's getting to the point where, for my own mental sanity, I might have to let him go. I am not his therapist and I can't really come out and tell him that he has deep issues. Yesterday, I tried to gently speak to him about therapy and mentioned that I have a therapist on my own. I talked about how good I feel after I see her, etc. He seemed to like the idea, so we'll see.

I was so sapped of energy after his two hour pity session and had horrible nightmares all night. I just want to get away from this type of person. He has some victim mentality and it seems as though he believes he's some type of martyr because of it. (He thinks that because he gets depressed it means he cares more about things than everyone else in the world)

Cilantro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 May 2013, 11:33 am

I try to be accommodating since I know some people's issues genuinely affect their ability to manage themselves emotionally, but I know what you mean. There's a difference between needing an ear once in awhile or struggling with life and being dependent on the attention and sympathy of others.

Quote:
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll eat for life.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 1:19 pm

I think there are natural differences and levels in emotions between people and I don't think its a good or bad/right or wrong thing. I do think it helps friendships/relationships to either be on a similiar level or to be able to tolerate & understand one another. It may not be automatic and require some working out between you. It depends on how much you value the friendship as far as how much effort you wish to put in it. And the sense of value should be equal between the two. There are cases where you just can't, attempts fail, and the difference is too great or creates negative emotions in response. In those cases its just not in the cards and no one is to blame.

On the other hand emotions are a powerful and natural tool/weapon and is frequently used in a agressive or manipulative way.

It takes some natural skill at discernment or experience to tell the difference between the two.

May I ask kouzoku, if there may not be some cultural element here as well ? It has been expressed to me by people from Asia that emotions are not as on display there. Even within the West there are differences. For example Americans and Italians (and Latin cultures in general) are known for being very open or emotional. Germans and perhaps some Nordic cultures are more reserved. I know we are dealing with stereotypes, but if you travel and live among these places you see the basis for them has validity. You just cannot assume any one person has them. They are simply cultural tendencies you may commonly find. If the culture changes, so will the tendencies.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 1:51 pm

Toy_Soldier wrote:
I think there are natural differences and levels in emotions between people and I don't think its a good or bad/right or wrong thing. I do think it helps friendships/relationships to either be on a similiar level or to be able to tolerate & understand one another. It may not be automatic and require some working out between you. It depends on how much you value the friendship as far as how much effort you wish to put in it. And the sense of value should be equal between the two. There are cases where you just can't, attempts fail, and the difference is too great or creates negative emotions in response. In those cases its just not in the cards and no one is to blame.

On the other hand emotions are a powerful and natural tool/weapon and is frequently used in a agressive or manipulative way.

It takes some natural skill at discernment or experience to tell the difference between the two.

May I ask kouzoku, if there may not be some cultural element here as well ? It has been expressed to me by people from Asia that emotions are not as on display there. Even within the West there are differences. For example Americans and Italians (and Latin cultures in general) are known for being very open or emotional. Germans and perhaps some Nordic cultures are more reserved. I know we are dealing with stereotypes, but if you travel and live among these places you see the basis for them has validity. You just cannot assume any one person has them. They are simply cultural tendencies you may commonly find. If the culture changes, so will the tendencies.

I definitely think culture has a part to play. Yesterday we had a discussion about emotion. I was explaining the value of detachment and not displaying emotion too quickly, etc., and that was very radical to him. He said things like, "Without emotions, we are nothing!" and "I would rather die!"... which to my way of thinking is radical. LOL So it might be that we just can't deal with each other's personality. His personality is overbearing to me and can make me literally ill. Like it drains all my energy. He thinks I am too strict. I just tried to accept our differences in the beginning, but it makes us disagree so much since our fundamental paradigms through which we see life are vastly different.

I'm meeting up with him this weekend so maybe things will work out. I don't like losing friends since it's hard to make them in the first place, but it's better than constantly giving each other stress.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 7:12 pm

kouzoku wrote:
I definitely think culture has a part to play. Yesterday we had a discussion about emotion. I was explaining the value of detachment and not displaying emotion too quickly, etc., and that was very radical to him. He said things like, "Without emotions, we are nothing!" and "I would rather die!"... which to my way of thinking is radical. LOL So it might be that we just can't deal with each other's personality. His personality is overbearing to me and can make me literally ill. Like it drains all my energy. He thinks I am too strict. I just tried to accept our differences in the beginning, but it makes us disagree so much since our fundamental paradigms through which we see life are vastly different.

I'm meeting up with him this weekend so maybe things will work out. I don't like losing friends since it's hard to make them in the first place, but it's better than constantly giving each other stress.

It sounds like he has a strong opinion on something but is not able to stop and listen to a different perspective. Or maybe more correctly he is unable to absorb and process another viewpoint. In my experience that is very common, perhaps the inclination of a majority of people. They just get fixed in their ways and thinking very easily, and stop thinking they have much to learn. Its hard for them to change. It will take a serious effort on their part to break out of that deep trench they have dug themselves into. But if they can do it just once, then the window is open and it is easier to do thereafter.

It's not that he doesn't have a point, but it's like only seeing the leaves and branches and thinking that is all there is. They do not see the trunk and roots, almost an entire tree again hidden in the soil. From the roots perspective the horizontal plane can even be inverted. But even if ones eyes are opened it still is I think a difficult bridge to cross, but one very rewarding if you can make accross. The few times I have felt accepted by someone or a group with a different culture were highpoints of my life, though it would be hard to explain why.

Amberlena
Toucan
Toucan

24 May 2013, 8:00 pm

I feel the same way. I don't understand why people get so emotional sometimes.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 9:08 pm

I'm quite tolerant of people like that. I used to be one of them (except I had real problems). I didn't get emotional per se, but I always wanted to talk about what was on my mind. I appreciate now that it upsets people and drains them, so I deal with stuff myself.

I do find listening to other people whine about their problems actually kind of cathartic, they're doing the whining so I don't have to. People bottling things up upsets me more because then I worry about them.

girly_aspie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 May 2013, 10:25 pm

I have a coworker, who I like very much, but she's very, very, very dramatic about everything and likes to go on at length about her miseries, which include her in ground pool not reaching the proper temperature (while I'm struggling to pay my electric bill in a tiny apartment). She seems to create a lot of her own drama and then tries to paint herself as the victim, which is really, really draining to be around eight hours a day.

AQ: 44
IQ: 167
Aspie Quiz Result: 185/200
NT result: 22/200
BAP: 132 aloof, 108 rigid and 121 pragmatic