Teen Arrested For Using Counterfeit Cash At McDonald’s

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 11:58 pm

Teen Arrested For Using Counterfeit Cash At McDonald’s

Canandaigua, N.Y. – A Clifton Springs man was charged Tuesday with possessing a forged instrument in the second degree, a class D felony.

Canandaigua Police said Desmond Miller, 18, passed a counterfeit $20 bill at the McDonald’s location on Booth Street on May 10.

The Secret Service assisted in the investigation that ultimately led to Miller’s arrest.

Police said that Miller received the counterfeit money from Rodney Goodrich, the Wayne County man who was recently charged with forgery and grand larceny.

Goodrich will appear at Canandaigua City Court Friday morning.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2013, 11:33 pm

Some may say that a counterfeit hamburger deserves...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2013, 11:43 pm

Either way, someone was going to get what he deserved - either the counterfeiters or the luckless counter person who took the bill.

I'm glad that it's the criminals who will face the judge this time. One will certainly go to prison for a parole violation, while the other may face a lesser sentence if he cops a plea.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2013, 12:16 am

I was checking out these counterfeit money stories and often the people caught are very young... McDonalds can afford to absorb counterfeit money by the way, of course it is possible that they truly are Evil and force the cashiers to absorb the loss.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2013, 3:07 pm

Counterfeit cash for counterfeit food sounds like a fare trade.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2013, 5:25 pm

How does one know if they are in possession of counterfeit money?
I imagine most people don't look closely at the bills they have. If the bill is of the correct denomination and is of the right color and texture then they assume it's legit without ever thinking about it.
For all I know I could have a 20 in my wallet with a picture of Santa Clause on it and I'd never notice.
I very rarely actually look at money for signs of it being counterfeit.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2013, 5:10 pm

I have just asked my lawyer, and she commented that the question of guilt may depend on the law of the land. Is the crime of passing forged money a simple liability offence (without any need for an intention) such as speeding. Or is it a crime where a person needs to have the intention to pass bad money ?

Could someone who lives near where the event occurred tell us what the law says.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2013, 5:17 pm

Counterfeiting is a federal issue that is the responsibility of the Secret Service.