Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Kaelynn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2013, 11:19 pm

I have terriable nightmares just about every singel night. Last nights was that I was walking down one set of train tracks with another set running parrell to them. A short, slow train came down the tracks next to the ones I was walking on. A man was standing on top of an emty fright car with a needle in his hand. He shouted to the world "One must willingly die from this needle I hold. In return, I will not end end the world. If no one comes forward to die, YOU ALL WILL DIE!" So 20 people from Simpsonville South Carolina came forward. They knew it would be the right thing to do. One life for 7.5 billion lives. Me being one of the 20 people, stood in silence along with everyone else, not knowing what to do. The man became angry and shouted, "If you don't decide in the next 10 minutes, all 20 of you will die. Write your names on a sheet of paper and hand it to me. Which ever paper I choose out of a random selection, will be the one person to die!" All of us wrote down our names and basically applied for death. I wrote mine on a blue sheet of paper. Most peoples were yellow or orange, some green. We all turned in our papers and the man paused not knowing which to pick. I couldn't take it anymore! I didn't want to die! I selfishly jumped onto the stopped train the man was still standing on and shoved other peoples papers closer to him. But I pushed mine be mistake, thinking it was someone else's. He chose mine, but I ran and he couldn't catch me.

I have horriable dreams like this almost every night. I don't know how to get rid of them. I even had one dream where I thought there were bugs on me and I scratched my leg until I woke up and it was bloody.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2013, 11:24 pm

that is a terrible nightmare. you could try reading something pleasant before you go to bed. are there things in real life that are troubling you? I would confide this to my shrink if it were happening to me.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2013, 12:02 am

My dreams are nearly always quite pleasant. Even the ones that aren't quite pleasant are hardly nightmares.

I think that my last actual nightmare was in 1978 or 1979.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2013, 12:09 am

Yeah. Every night with the usual waking up sweating.

Mine seems to be PTSD though.

Other than the sweating (annoying having a wet shirt when you wake up), it doesn't bother me.

Franic
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 May 2013, 12:21 am

if there's anything scary in life that you haven't faced, try facing it and maybe the fearful nightmares will stop as well.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2013, 12:29 am

Franic wrote:
if there's anything scary in life that you haven't faced, try facing it and maybe the fearful nightmares will stop as well.

That just makes new nightmares. :P

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2013, 5:06 am

perhaps you can try some lucid dreaming techniques; if you are sucessful in generating one, you might be able to defeat the nightmare inside the dream itself (ooh; inception all over again).
i myself dream lucid almost every night, and i never have nightmares; if a dream goes bad i either change it or leave the story

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2013, 9:46 am

I wake up in a cold sweat just about every night. I have nightmares about my past experiences and people who have hurt me. And sometimes more abstract things - being chased, being tortured.
Just this morning I dreamed I was being pursued by a psychopath with a syringe.
I think it's because I have a lot of unresolved issues.

allegrorules
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 May 2013, 12:16 pm

yep.... I've had some scary nightmares before as well, though mine are not as frequent as yours. I suggest sleeping with music on (I do this every night as I can't sleep with music) and listen to nice, calming music that isn't the least bit scary. This often helps me with nightmares.

Zwapp
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 May 2013, 12:44 pm

my 15 years of depression has left me with little left to fear.
(with a mindset of: "what's the worst that can happen", and the answer is mostly: Death, my responce thought being: "well that's not so bad", its hard to be frightened of something, or so my reasoning goes)
Now add to that the fact that I'm an experienced lucid dreamer, makes most of my dreams go like: "f**k this s**t, I wanna walk through walls"

anyway, a little while ago I had a bit of a bad time, more then my meds could handle I guess, I got a nightmare.. of a different sort.
This was not a nightmare of fear, there was no dramatic surroundings, I was simply in my room, on my bed, feeling sad.... very very sad..
there was no reason, nothing else happened, It was just overwhelming sadness.

Up until then I had thought myself immune to nightmares, guess I was wrong

sparrowblue

28 May 2013, 6:01 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your nightmares...that is a pretty horrible thing to dream. I also suffer from nightmares sometimes. I have vivid dreams most nights, but at the moment they're okay; I tend to go through phases of really bad nightmares, usually when I'm feeling really stressed or anxious or depressed about something in waking life. I've woken up screaming, crying and just generally feeling horrible before.

Like other posters said trying to do something calming before going to bed might help, as might something like keeping a diary to write down all the things that are bothering you to "get them out of your system" so that it doesn't end up seeping over into your dreams. Maybe even writing the dreams down and trying to figure out whether they might mean anything could help?