Are you aware of your lacking Theory of Mind?

Page 6 of 8 [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 3:14 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
"People infer what is probably inside another person's mind, based on the context."

So they're guessing. I figured as much.

There's a difference between making a projection based on previously determined facts (most people in the above circumstance are looking for something), and a "guess".

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 3:49 pm

Ettina wrote:
Quote:
I think autistic lack of ToM is sufficient for some degree of Executive Dysfunction and Weak Central Coherence. I'm not saying it's a necessary condition. It's:

(ToM deficits) => (Executive Dysfunction) + (Weak Central Coherence)

Regarding weak central coherence, Dawson and Mottron have proven that autistics do not have that particular issue. (Although some NLDers might.) Block Design peak requires strong central coherence as well as good detail perception. Autistics tend to have enhanced perception of details along with normal perception of the gestalt.

http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/content/129/7/1789.full

There is a condition that does cause weak central coherence, though it's usually not described that way. A rare chromosome disorder known as Williams Syndrome. People with this condition, if asked to copy an H made out of tiny Xs, will draw tiny Xs in no particular pattern. They draw 'exploded' pictures - all the right pieces, but scattered all over the place. They also really suck at the Block Design task.

There is controversy about their theory of mind performance, but in general, it appears to be on par with their IQ. (Which is usually around 50, by the way. But their picture-drawing and figure copying and Block Design are all poorer than IQ-matched controls.) Certainly, it's clear that WS people have better ToM than central coherence.

I've used this definition of Weak Central Coherence:

"Weak central coherence: an inability to bring together various details from perception to make a
meaningful whole"

Weak Central Coherence

I definitely agree that autistics have enhanced perception of details - but normal perception of the gestalt...isn't that what is autistics problem? Do you disagree with what is written in the above link about Weak Central Coherence:

Quote:
WHAT IS THE CENTRAL COHERENCE THEORY?

Central coherence is the ability to focus on both details as well as wholes. People with autism however,
appear to have a heightened focus on details rather than wholes, a cognitive style termed 'weak central
coherence'. This is the reason why some individuals with autism have hypersensitive sensory perceptions.
This inability to understand wholes resides in the frontal cortex of the brain, which in turn also explains
theory of mind deficits in people with autism. The inability to hold information in mind in order to use it later in
other tasks is what causes the autistic individual to lack central coherence.
Grandin (1995) states: "I cannot
hold one piece of information in my mind while I manipulate the next step in the sequence".

muff
Toucan
Toucan

31 May 2013, 5:44 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Popsicle wrote:
I have never and still do not understand what Executive Function or Theory of Mind are.

in a nutshell-

*executive function=effectively running your life with all its myriad details ordered correctly.
*Theory of Mind=understanding that other people have entirely separate thought processes from one's self - "I know that you know, that I know that you know..."

cool. thank you for the simple breakdown.

i also do not see how the two connect.

also, ive never seen theory of mind applied to ones self, only to ones understanding of others.

is this the OPs own theory? they say the best information we can get out of a theory is a peak into the psyche of the theorist.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 5:51 pm

muff wrote:
also, ive never seen theory of mind applied to ones self, only to ones understanding of others.

Theory of mind

Quote:
Theory of mind (often abbreviated "ToM") is the ability to attribute mental states—beliefs, intents, desires, pretending, knowledge, etc.—to oneself and others and to understand that others have beliefs, desires, and intentions that are different from one's own.[

Of course one could question Wikipedia as any other source.

But I actually think it's true that autistics are less able to attribute mental states to themselves due to lacking ToM, unless done through some coping mechanism, i.e. not naturally.

Tori0326
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jun 2013, 8:47 am

Callista wrote:
Certainly executive dysfunction (such as that found in ADHD or certain brain injuries) is not the sole explanation--it seems to be more that the brain develops differently. Autistic-style development may be only one way that the brain deals with the problem.

Is it possible that Autism is a result of the brain reconfiguring itself while it's still developing due to some sort of injury? (Not necessarily physical trauma.) I can't totally ignore the hereditary factor because I have other family members on the spectrum and it's not very likely we all suffered a brain injury, but I personally found out I did have a head injury as a young child. I did not know this until I was an adult and had an MRI. Maybe I was NT until I suffered that trauma. Perhaps that could also explain the apparent vaccination link where they say the child was developing normally and then regressed after being vaccinated.

I don't know how anyone can figure that ToM is causative of executive function problems or vice versa.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 9:59 am

Quote:
I definitely agree that autistics have enhanced perception of details - but normal perception of the gestalt...isn't that what is autistics problem? Do you disagree with what is written in the above link about Weak Central Coherence:

Yes, I do. Read the link to Dawson and Mottron's study.

The Weak Central Coherence theory was thought up to explain the Block Design peak that is common among autistics. (They can't let an autistic strength be an autistic strength, no, they have to make it a weakness.) However, this actually makes no sense, because someone with weak central coherence would actually do very poorly at Block Design.

See, the Block Design task requires that you segment the image into equally sized squares, regardless of the color contours. This is not how the perceptual system (autistic or NT) naturally segments things. (And I know the autistic perceptual system doesn't segment this way because that would impede very basic skills such as grasping objects.) We naturally segment things along color contours and inferred objects, and in the harder Block Design items you need to overcome that tendency in order to well. (People with Williams Syndrome can't overcome that tendency, and try to reproduce the color contours while not maintaining a square shape.)

So the biggest argument for autistics having weak central coherence falls to pieces when you examine it more closely.

Also, this quote:

Quote:
The inability to hold information in mind in order to use it later in other tasks is what causes the autistic individual to lack central coherence. Grandin (1995) states: "I cannot hold one piece of information in my mind while I manipulate the next step in the sequence".

That's not central coherence, that's working memory. Completely different skill. (And yes, autistics often have poor working memory - it's part of executive function. But poor working memory has nothing to do with weak central coherence.)

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 11:25 am

marshall wrote:
Anomiel wrote:
marshall wrote:
Anomiel wrote:
marshall wrote:
Anomiel wrote:
marshall, I guess my first assumption is that most people experience the same sort of emotions I do, which means my innate ToM/empathy is poor, but I know that they don't. Maybe many NTs ToM is poor too, but they are often right in their assumptions as they are so "normal"?

I agree it's easier to have empathy if you're in the middle of the distribution than if you're at one of the far ends. That's part of it. The other part is being able to use your imagination to put yourself in someone else's shoes based on certain vague building blocks you already have in yourself. If you're so far towards the end of the normal distribution you might be missing some building blocks. But even if you're towards the middle you might still have trouble empathizing if your ability to imagine yourself in different situations you haven't ever directly experienced is limited.

In summary there are two aspects, 1.) being towards the center of the spectrum and having the same building blocks as the majority of others 2.) having a good emotional imagination. If either one is missing you're going to have trouble with ToM / cognitive-empathy.

You really clarified it, thank you.
This is a bit off-topic, but I've read that if NTs saw/read descriptions of life-experiences of people they were prejudiced against they got less prejudiced, showing that at least prejudiced NTs must be lacking (or unwilling to deploy) emotional imagination.
But from what I've experienced autistics are much less likely to be prejudiced than NTs, so there must be some other factor there.

I find the people with the best empathy tend to be people I would consider "mild" or sub-clinical BAP. Since they are somewhere between AS and NT they can relate to both sides. Some of it is a personality trait though. There is a willingness component to empathy as well as an ability component.

So they act like translators?
I think the people that are best at empathy are those educated in how people work, but of course that is different than innate ability.

But what if they're educated in how people say people think rather than in how people really think? If people who study psychology have such great theory of mind why did a lot of them in the past accept Freudian theories that are half truth and half crap?

TLDR-version: Use critical thinking. Everyone no matter their empathy-level must learn. I love sociology a lot and want to make it mandatory for everyone :)

I wonder why people let Freud run around and say sex (and cocks) was the most important thing for humans. But psychology have moved a bit past that (I hope neuroscience will enable it to catch up) and there are lots of other branches that study humans. I am a bit shocked by the suggestion that they are all wrong. Obviously, autistics do not think like NTs. Most fields discuss NTs, so from our perspective they are somewhat wrong. But wrong for the general population? I don't know.
Sociologists are doing a pretty good job using statistics and surveys, so then they know what people say they think at least. There are lots of important thinking and speculation too, so its not just data.
I think solid cross-disciplinary learning about human nature will result in a better theory of mind, due to the time spent thinking about how humans work. :shrug:
Of course you'll have to use critical thinking when learning too.
You could be born with "strong empathy", but even then you would have to hone it somehow. It is the same thing as "inborn talent" in anything - people dismiss how much work talented people have put into their area of expertise, which both elevates and discredits them at the same time.

muff
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jun 2013, 11:35 am

qawer wrote:
muff wrote:

Theory of mind

Quote:
Theory of mind (often abbreviated "ToM") is the ability to attribute mental states—beliefs, intents, desires, pretending, knowledge, etc.—to oneself and others and to understand that others have beliefs, desires, and intentions that are different from one's own.[

Of course one could question Wikipedia as any other source.

But I actually think it's true that autistics are less able to attribute mental states to themselves due to lacking ToM, unless done through some coping mechanism, i.e. not naturally.

i am reading what you're saying. i dont mean to argue, but only to disagree. even in dissociation, wikipedia suggests that 'most' do not want to separate derealization from depersonalization because ones view of the world, self and others are all inseparable. this sounds fun to believe in a unifying way, but i know i have moments when i literally get scared (spooked might be a better word for it) thinking about how another person is a whole other real person and i never think that i am not real.

Anomiel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 12:14 pm

muff wrote:
this sounds fun to believe in a unifying way, but i know i have moments when i literally get scared (spooked might be a better word for it) thinking about how another person is a whole other real person and i never think that i am not real.

Here's a brilliant talk that mentions something similar:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFt7EzpsZQo[/youtube]

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 12:44 pm

Ettina wrote:
That's not central coherence, that's working memory. Completely different skill. (And yes, autistics often have poor working memory - it's part of executive function. But poor working memory has nothing to do with weak central coherence.)

Personally, I believe that Central Coherence, Theory of Mind and Executive Functioning are closely related. That these are merely manifestations of how the autistic brain processes complex information. I believe that poor working memory plays a huge part because these seem to be (at least for me) “real time” deficits.

With unlimited time (i.e. time for thought, reflection and, particularly, time to ask detailed/probing questions to my heart's desire), these deficits magically disappear (for me).

It seems like others in the WP community can “bypass” these issues via intellectualization. Which means it requires them to think about it. Rather than being “intuitive” (which, in effect, is “real time”).

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 12:51 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
Ettina wrote:

Personally, I believe that Central Coherence, Theory of Mind and Executive Functioning are closely related. That these are merely manifestations of how the autistic brain processes complex information. I believe that poor working memory plays a huge part because these seem to be (at least for me) “real time” deficits.

With unlimited time (i.e. time for thought, reflection and, particularly, time to ask detailed/probing questions to my heart's desire), these deficits magically disappear (for me).

It seems like others in the WP community can “bypass” these issues via intellectualization. Which means it requires them to think about it. Rather than being “intuitive” (which, in effect, is “real time”).

I agree with this I think they're all tied together and influence one another. When I have unlimited time and no distractions and a quiet environment my reading comprehension including making social/ emotional inferences is quite good but I can't make these inferences and apply them (or even really basic ones) in real time social interaction.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 1:42 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
Ettina wrote:

Isn't working memory one of the executive functions? There are tests that can measure working memory without being influenced by processing speed.

Maybe what happens in real life is that most tasks require all three skills. Could a deficit in one function place a burden on the others to compensate making them appear to be impaired as well?

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 2:34 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
Ettina wrote:

I would also take into account sensory processing differences and general social processing speed (unless this is related to executive functioning?). Many people I know on the spectrum have issues with one or both of these things and this interferes with their ability to gather, respond, and process social information. I also used to have very slow social processing speed, but this changed due to exposure to social situations and by spotting predictable patterns within them.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 2:55 pm

Anomiel wrote:
marshall wrote:
Anomiel wrote:
marshall wrote:
Anomiel wrote:
marshall wrote:
Anomiel wrote:
marshall, I guess my first assumption is that most people experience the same sort of emotions I do, which means my innate ToM/empathy is poor, but I know that they don't. Maybe many NTs ToM is poor too, but they are often right in their assumptions as they are so "normal"?

I agree it's easier to have empathy if you're in the middle of the distribution than if you're at one of the far ends. That's part of it. The other part is being able to use your imagination to put yourself in someone else's shoes based on certain vague building blocks you already have in yourself. If you're so far towards the end of the normal distribution you might be missing some building blocks. But even if you're towards the middle you might still have trouble empathizing if your ability to imagine yourself in different situations you haven't ever directly experienced is limited.

In summary there are two aspects, 1.) being towards the center of the spectrum and having the same building blocks as the majority of others 2.) having a good emotional imagination. If either one is missing you're going to have trouble with ToM / cognitive-empathy.

You really clarified it, thank you.
This is a bit off-topic, but I've read that if NTs saw/read descriptions of life-experiences of people they were prejudiced against they got less prejudiced, showing that at least prejudiced NTs must be lacking (or unwilling to deploy) emotional imagination.
But from what I've experienced autistics are much less likely to be prejudiced than NTs, so there must be some other factor there.

I find the people with the best empathy tend to be people I would consider "mild" or sub-clinical BAP. Since they are somewhere between AS and NT they can relate to both sides. Some of it is a personality trait though. There is a willingness component to empathy as well as an ability component.

So they act like translators?
I think the people that are best at empathy are those educated in how people work, but of course that is different than innate ability.

But what if they're educated in how people say people think rather than in how people really think? If people who study psychology have such great theory of mind why did a lot of them in the past accept Freudian theories that are half truth and half crap?

TLDR-version: Use critical thinking. Everyone no matter their empathy-level must learn. I love sociology a lot and want to make it mandatory for everyone :)

I wonder why people let Freud run around and say sex (and cocks) was the most important thing for humans. But psychology have moved a bit past that (I hope neuroscience will enable it to catch up) and there are lots of other branches that study humans. I am a bit shocked by the suggestion that they are all wrong. Obviously, autistics do not think like NTs. Most fields discuss NTs, so from our perspective they are somewhat wrong. But wrong for the general population? I don't know.
Sociologists are doing a pretty good job using statistics and surveys, so then they know what people say they think at least. There are lots of important thinking and speculation too, so its not just data.
I think solid cross-disciplinary learning about human nature will result in a better theory of mind, due to the time spent thinking about how humans work. :shrug:
Of course you'll have to use critical thinking when learning too.
You could be born with "strong empathy", but even then you would have to hone it somehow. It is the same thing as "inborn talent" in anything - people dismiss how much work talented people have put into their area of expertise, which both elevates and discredits them at the same time.

I never said people can't learn and I never said psychology is all wrong. I just think people have this tendency to follow established thinking and don't bother to use their own intuition enough. I'm not saying I'm always right or anything, but I do find that using my own intuition to look for explanations is more fun than reading what studies have to say. This is how I like to think about science in general. If I'm wrong at first, so be it. I'm usually more open to persuasion and changing my beliefs than others too. I don't discredit book learning completely as it's good to have a starting point. I just think people tend to spend too much time reading what others have to say and this diminishes their ability to learn objectively. I don't think this is arrogant.

I don't think innate theory-of-mind is necessarily 100% accurate either. If you really think about it, it isn't necessarily an evolutionary advantage to know exactly how others think all the time. Prejudice and delusion can be a survival advantage. Knowing too much about what others are thinking can be sometimes be a disadvantage in real life. Some things you are probably better off not knowing. Even self-delusion can be a valuable psychological survival tool. NTs seem to be better than aspies at positive self-delusion.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 3:00 pm

seaturtleisland wrote:
Quote:
Isn't working memory one of the executive functions? There are tests that can measure working memory without being influenced by processing speed.

Maybe what happens in real life is that most tasks require all three skills. Could a deficit in one function place a burden on the others to compensate making them appear to be impaired as well?

I could be wrong, but I presumed that there was a causal relationship between poor Working Memory and Executive Functioning. That is, poor Working Memory causes issues with Executive Functioning. For me, I am suggesting the same is true for Central Coherence and Theory of Mind.

Note: I presume other things could cause issues with Executive Functioning. But for me, the main contributor (according to the psychologist who diagnosed me) was issues with complex Working Memory.

I believe I have Theory of Mind deficiencies due to an inability to Multi-Task. According to Tony Attwood, Theory of Mind is defined as, “the ability to recognize and understand thoughts, beliefs, desires and intentions of other people in order to make sense of their behavior and predict what they are going to do next”. That requires a lot of Multi-Tasking. And, poor Working Memory also causes issues with Multi-Tasking (at least for me, according to the psychologist who diagnosed me).

As part of my diagnosis, the psychologist used the Wechsler Memory Scale (WMS-IV), the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale (WAIS-IV) and the Wisconsin Card Sorting Test (WCST-R).

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 3:12 pm

anneurysm wrote:
I would also take into account sensory processing differences and general social processing speed (unless this is related to executive functioning?). Many people I know on the spectrum have issues with one or both of these things and this interferes with their ability to gather, respond, and process social information. I also used to have very slow social processing speed, but this changed due to exposure to social situations and by spotting predictable patterns within them.

I agree that both sensory processing differences and overall processing speed can impair things as well. I was mostly reflecting on my own situation, which is mostly impacted by complex working memory.

You can imagine a "controlled" environment, where the sensory processing differences are "muted". In such an environment, I would still have issues with Central Coherence, Theory of Mind and Executive Functioning.

I am fortunate that my general processing speed is OK. It's not exceptional. But, it's good enough (to not be the primary cause of deficiencies in those areas).