Do you like having an autism spectrum disorder?

Page 6 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2019, 12:14 am

Not particularly. I don't like having autism any more than I like having dyspraxia. But I am accepting of it. Most of the time.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2019, 1:00 am

It doesn't give me any gifts so there is nothing to like about it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2019, 11:33 am

Knofskia wrote:
AceofPens, I agree.

I do not know how symptoms can "cause clinically significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of current functioning" in order to qualify toward a diagnosis and not be a negative. For example, if your restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior (e.g. special interests) are positive and do not impair your functioning, then how did it qualify toward an autism diagnosis? Would you not just have a social pragmatic communication disorder?

My hyper-focus is not a positive trait. It is not about being able to ignore outside distractions when beneficial (e.g. ignoring distractions when hyper-focused on studying); it is about not being able to focus on anything else though detrimental (e.g. ignoring self-care when hyper-focused on studying). Being stuck on a task like that is, at best, frustrating and, at worst, terrifying.

I have had similar experiences with the hyper-focus trait and, there's usually burn-out waiting for me on the other end of the tunnel to cap it off. It's wearying, even if it is sometimes enjoyable at the onset, and the people around me usually find it obnoxious (I can't say that I blame them, given the mundane nature of my interests). Narrow interests mostly lacking the obsessive quality are much more enjoyable but are also useless except on a personal level.

Like you, I find the application of the diagnostic criteria to harmless or positive traits confusing and frustrating, especially when the different-not-disordered type is pushed as the defining image of autism, ignoring the vast majority of us. I have seen it again and again, especially here on WP. Everyone wants to remake autism in their own image, usually at someone else's expense. This is why the ASD umbrella doesn't work.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2019, 2:45 pm

No, but I mostly accept that it’s the way things are.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2019, 2:46 pm

It's a pain in the tushey----but, like LivingWithAutism stated, we are sort of stuck with it....

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2019, 2:55 pm

I don’t like to self-pity either.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2019, 3:12 pm

People on WP don't have to like being aspie or autistic, but they don't have to say other people who do or accept it are delusional or brainwashed or whatever. :(

I guess homosexual people shouldn't like being gay, either. Why would someone want to be gay when so many people still think they're sick or evil and go around with signs saying GOD HATES F**S? If there was a cure for homosexuality that would be great because their lives would be easier and there would be no problems with them getting married or starting a family. And why do they have parades and public events celebrating homosexual culture when they didn't *choose* to be gay. People should never celebrate or be rewarded for anything they choose to be or didn't work at being, including being black or born female or even the day they were born.

I'm left-handed. It wasn't that long ago (and still is in some cultures), that being left-handed supposedly meant you were cursed by the devil, you were stupid because you couldn't use your right hand, you were a hopeless klutz and you'd die at an early age due to being so accident-prone (from being forced to use dangerous things that were made only for right-handers) and burn in hell for eternity. But instead I'm proud and happy to be a leftie. But no, let's never be proud and happy about our uniqueness ever again. :|