Do you like having an autism spectrum disorder?

Page 4 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 5:00 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Indifferent.

I haven't known any different. It's like asking whether I like being left handed.

Same here.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 9:30 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
I like it because I like being different and having a different perspective on the world; it feels like I can see some things about society and the way of the world more clearly than most people, although it does get frustrating when I have no one to share these insights with. In spite of my difficulties, I wouldn't trade my AS to become an NT, because then I'd just wind up with a different set of difficulties to replace the ones I gave up, and I'd be ordinary and just like everyone else.

I like it having autism to.

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 12:12 am

I hate suffering with autism: the difficulty with social interaction; the difficulty with all communication; the difficulty with executive functioning; the difficulty with sensory processing; the inability to work; the inability to live independently; the inability to care for myself; the terrifying helplessness of becoming nonverbal or stuck on perseverations...

And before anyone says, "some Autistics have differences, not difficulty, with socializing, communicating, or repetitive behaviors", it is required in the diagnostic criteria. And before anyone says, "some Autistics can work, live independently, and care for themselves", good for them but I cannot. And before anyone says, "you need to think positively"* or "you need to try harder"*, I was very optimistic, had high expectations for myself, and was a very hard worker for thirty years before I burned out for denying my very real limitations.

*These type of statements just invalidate my experiences, my difficulties, and my effort.

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

Last edited by Knofskia on 22 Feb 2019, 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

CC2501
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Feb 2019, 12:16 am

Sometimes it can be really frustrating. But I feel once I go to college and then get a career, I can be really successful. If my job is something I have an "obsession" in, I feel the sky is the limit and I could do really well. But there are hard parts of having an ASD. So it's a mixed bag, but I'd lean on the positive side. I probably wouldn't be as smart as I am without my Asperger's, and I certainly would not have my work ethic.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 12:36 am

I like to be my own person and an interesting person I am to know and look at.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 2:00 am

*Stranded next to a raging river*
Me: Help!
Person: I will only help you get over to this side safely if you truthfully give me one thing you like about having ASD. If not, then you'll have to risk your life by swimming through the raging river
Three hours later...
*Got carried all the way to the sea. It's a long way back home, but at least I survived the raging river*

f**k ASD. I hate every bit of it. There is NOTHING I like about it AT ALL.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 2:02 am

Dutchy wrote:
Yup, i really like who i am, because of my autism. My autism brings me a lot of good stuff! For instance: i experience life to the fullest, because of my highly sensitive senses. Therefore, my memory is mindblowing, because i experience life very intense. I can remember a lot of stuff! Some people think i have a photographic memory. I see or notice details others don't. Because i look at the world differently, i sometimes come up with things, others don't think about. I have my own creativity. Because of my high verbal intelligence, i'm really good with word and texts. And because i take things always so literal, people always know what they're getting from me, because i mean things exactly how i say them. I say what i think, and i do what i say. I'm always very clear (which most people like). I think in some cases its an advantage to not be overruled by emotions because i don't feel them always at the time others do. I think i'm very intelligence, i'm funny, and i'm a nice person. I'm honest and clear and i think i'm a really good friend! so yeah, i'm really happy about myself. There is nothing wrong with me. Would not want to change a bit! I don't need to be fixed you know. I'm just fine the way i am! Hope y'all feel the same way about yourself! 'Cause i think people with autism are great! :D

Autism is a good thing to have.

Rodland
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2019, 2:28 am

I cannot think of being somebody else anymore but some of those symptoms are freaking annoying. I dislike "autism is good" slogan. It does not get reduced that way.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 2:45 am

It depends. There are a lot of things I dislike about it, but there are some things I like as well. I like having an excuse to lead a simple life. NTs expect each other to be so driven and competitive, to climb the career ladder, get wealthy, have lots of friends, a family, etc. No one expects that of me because of my disability, and I like not dealing with the pressure that NT life so often seems to bring. I also like being exactly who I am. I like being intellectually gifted and having unique interests. If I were just an average-intelligence NT with the same boring interest in sports or TV shows as everyone else, I'd blend into the crowd, and I feel like I wouldn't have much of a real personality.

I hate the sensory problems though. I'd get rid of them in a heartbeat. I'd also lose the meltdowns and shutdowns, and the poor emotional regulation in general.

I go through patches of severe depression during which I hate myself and everything about me, but at this particular moment in time, I'd have to say I'm glad to be the way I am.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 11:33 pm

Special interests are my favorite autistic trait. They have always been my STRONGEST autistic trait too. I've lost friends due to my special interests, but than I gained a LOT more because of them. But than I've never been one of those people who needs friends. I'd rather have my special interests. I feel like I am suffocating if I can't talk about or engage in my special interests. I will probably have a grudge against my mother for the rest of my life for trying to limit me from talking about them because of how painful it was. I don't care what other people think of me.

In a way, my special interests are my friends. Yes, I have a boyfriend now; but I don't think we would even be causal friends if we did not share a special interest.

Rigidity is another trait I love

I am immune to guilt trips and if I feel uncomfortable doing something someone wants me to do.
Rigidity helped me stick to my vegan diet
Rigidity helped me stay in school and accomplish my goals

Last edited by MagicMeerkat on 22 Feb 2019, 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 11:35 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
Special interests are my favorite autistic trait. They have always been my STRONGEST autistic trait too. I've lost friends due to my special interests, but than I gained a LOT more because of them. But than I've never been one of those people who needs friends. I'd rather have my special interests. I feel like I am suffocating if I can't talk about or engage in my special interests. I will probably have a grudge against my mother for the rest of my life for trying to limit me from talking about them because of how painful it was. I don't care what other people think of me.

Me to. I never needed friends either and I love my special interests. Are you an introvert or an extrovert?

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2019, 11:45 pm

Dylanperr wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:

Me to. I never needed friends either and I love my special interests. Are you an introvert or an extrovert?

Aside from my boyfriend, I'm the epitome of an introvert. I even need alone time from him sometimes.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2019, 12:15 am

Not really it would be easier not to have one...but you don't always get what you wan't in life so...there is that.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2019, 12:52 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Not really it would be easier not to have one...but you don't always get what you wan't in life so...there is that.

Why do you say that?

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2019, 8:13 am

I like and dislike being an autistic -- for the same reasons why I like and dislike being a female and being a human.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2019, 8:29 am

I'm proud of having Asperger's and always have been.

As another member here puts it in his signature:

"Silly NTs, I have Asperger's and having Asperger's is g-r-r-r-reat!"