Do you like having an autism spectrum disorder?

Page 1 of 6 [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

fMR1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 May 2013, 7:23 pm

If so, post what you like about it, if you have one.

Neuromancer
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2013, 8:09 pm

I really like to be myself.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2013, 8:57 pm

Why don't you go ask a cripple if he enjoys being crippled? Why would I like having an ASD?

CheredIsTyping
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 May 2013, 10:32 pm

Neuromancer wrote:
I really like to be myself.

Precisely! I like being different, and the admiration or (even disdain from my coworkers with my cleanliness at work) is great. Yes I enjoy disdain. Maybe I enjoy my brain because I'm a chick and better at empathy and reading people or because I'm a bit lighter on the spectrum than most people I know with it. My little brother and I have our own version of English and since he's worse than I am, I have to translate for him. It's also insanely stressful at times but hey- everyone gets stressed. Just ASD people tend to get more so, more often. Although it does suck when humans think I'm bitchy or rude just because I'm not smiling. Sorry I did not have the energy to show you my teeth. It all works out. Have to weatherproof yourself from others and their inability to see everything- or anything if it's a customer!

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2013, 7:43 am

I don't like nor dislike it.

Thornybum
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 May 2013, 7:47 am

I think mixed blessings, really. Since I've learned to control it, it's been one of the best things for me. However, it makes it very awkward to talk to people/when I'm clumsy it has negative consequences :S

Rudywalsh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 May 2013, 7:56 am

Autism has opened my eyes to a different view of the world, I wouldn’t want to see it any other way...

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2013, 7:57 am

I have nothing to compare it to.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2013, 8:10 am

I love having intense interests.

Plus, I'm comfortable with being who I am.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2013, 8:27 am

XFilesGeek wrote:

That's how I feel. To use an example I think planet Earth seem okay with both good and bad points but I've never lived in any other planets so I have no idea what life is like elsewhere on other planets or galaxies. Maybe it's time to get back my obsessive interest in space travel :lol:

seaturtleisland wrote:
Why don't you go ask a cripple if he enjoys being crippled?

I don't know how true it was but I remember reading an article that discussed how contrary to popular belief, most disabled persons don't want to be cured and (at the time) didn't admire Christopher Reeve. I've known persons with Down Syndrome, Blindness and Deafness and you know what they all have in common? They are ALL noticeably happier than the average person. Granted I'm not about to gouge my eyes and ears but I reject the idea that ASDs are 'disabilities' even if the NT world can be cruel to us. Once I accepted that I had Aspergers (or HFA) and finally accepted myself for who I am my life took a sharp turn for the better.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2013, 8:41 am

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

That's how I feel. To use an example I think planet Earth seem okay with both good and bad points but I've never lived in any other planets so I have no idea what life is like elsewhere on other planets or galaxies. Maybe it's time to get back my obsessive interest in space travel :lol:

seaturtleisland wrote:

I don't know how true it was but I remember reading an article that discussed how contrary to popular belief, most disabled persons don't want to be cured and (at the time) didn't admire Christopher Reeve. I've known persons with Down Syndrome, Blindness and Deafness and you know what they all have in common? They are ALL noticeably happier than the average person. Granted I'm not about to gouge my eyes and ears but I reject the idea that ASDs are 'disabilities' even if the NT world can be cruel to us. Once I accepted that I had Aspergers (or HFA) and finally accepted myself for who I am my life took a sharp turn for the better.

I can say I HATE it because it has been the reason I've failed to obtain any of the goals I truly cared about in life.

YES, I know the grass may not be greener on the other side of the fence, but most days I don't even feel like I have any grass of my own.

I'm still trying to be "happy" with who I am.

Grimdalus
Raven
Raven

30 May 2013, 8:52 am

I hate it. I would do anything to be normal.

Cilantro
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 May 2013, 9:07 am

I don't have any feelings about it in particular. I'd have liked to grow up without so many obstacles to achieving things that are important to me, but if not this it would probably be something else and it may not have been something with much hope for adaptation.

Jainz
Raven
Raven

30 May 2013, 9:30 am

It was hell during school and early in my employment. I'm alright with it now. I quite like it actually, until it comes to being trapped in unfamiliar situations.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2013, 10:14 am

It doesn't bother me.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2013, 10:17 am

Quote:

I've asked two. They both said yes.