Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 11:11 am

greyjay wrote:
My community still has a living memory of residential schools and forced sterilization, so there is a distrust of institutions, including 'western' based medicine. My experience was a little different because I was adopted out, but I found that I had difficulty communicating with psychologists that I was sent to because they were ignorant about my background. Initially my lack of eye contact was explained as attachment issues because of the adoption and legacy of residential schools in my bio family, even though I was adopted at birth. I've also found Anishinaabe people more accepting of my social differences, so in those spaces my AS traits are less of a problem. I think that a combination of factors could be at play. Raising awareness is good, but unless inequalities and the violent historical relationships institutionalized medicine has had with some communities are addressed, it will not be sufficient.

I feel you on this one. Certainly here the memories of residential schools and the stolen generations are not far from the surface.
Especially since 25% or 26% of the prison population here are natives, despite being less than 3% of the population as a whole. As far as they are concerned the more they stay away, the better.