Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

aspiekelly
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 May 2013, 9:44 pm

Just wondering if you do any volunteer work.

Our local SPCA animal shelter opened 4 years ago, I started volunteering there and it really helped my social skills. At first, I only wanted to spend time with the cats, and go when they were closed to public. Then I ended up really enjoying when they were open to public and potential adopters, I knew a lot about the cats, and talked to people and no one ever guessed anything was 'wrong' with me. It did really help me tremendously.

For two years, I've volunteered at GEMS Girls Club at church and was very shy at first, it's for girls ages 8-13. I didn't really 'know' any of the other leaders that well and it ended up being nice. I helped out another leader with the 11-year-old age group class, and this September I'll have my own class, with the help of a teenage counselor-in-training!

I volunteered at a summer daycamp for 20 autistic children last summer, it was an eye-opening experience, all areas of the spectrum were represented. I'm going to volunteer again two days at it this summer (it is 5 days but not in my town), and the following week, I'm volunteering for 5 days at another daycamp, each child has a volunteer with them, it's for all disabilities.

I am also going to help out at the autism walk in June, and recently we went to a grocery store and all we had to do was put bags in carts and customers shopping left us a donation if they wanted, very easy fundraiser, and we raised $953 for our group.

Volunteering has really helped me to get skills and helped get my job because I was able to list my volunteering because I did not have any work experience listed on my resume. If you find somewhere to volunteer with a particular interest or hobby of yours, it's even more enjoyable. I had volunteered with St. John Ambulance volunteer medical response for years, but did not enjoy it or the people... I stayed up at night knowing the next day I'd be volunteering and full of anxiety.

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2013, 9:52 pm

This is all fabulous! I did a lot of volunteering while growing up and I absolutely agree with you! It really helped me learn how to interact (if only briefly) with a wide variety of people!
Aside from interaction, it really fueled my desire to do good work because it was right (and not just to be paid). This was well-reinforced because the people I worked with were really appreciative and made me feel good about helping!

SPtread
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 May 2013, 11:45 pm

I volunteered at a hospital when I was in high school. It was a good learning experience, and I got to interact with some nice people.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2013, 4:19 pm

So, I handed back a form today. Maybe some good will come from it, I don't know, just wait and see I guess. :roll:

Moonranch
Raven
Raven

04 Jun 2013, 3:21 pm

I do voluntary work. It took me a while to find a placement that's right for me but I think I finally have now. Since November last year I've helped out a charity that gives riding lessons to disabled children. I feel more confident with the horses than the children but I am getting better at interacting with the kids and have been pushing myself to do this more often. I have also been practising my "small-talk" skills with the other volunteers. I think I'm getting better at this! I wouldn't say I enjoy going, exactly, but I think I could get there. I certainly don't dread it like I did with some of the other placements I tried out! I think it is helping me to build up my confidence and will help me with getting a job because it shows I am doing something whilst unemployed. Overall I think it has been a very positive experience!

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 6:01 pm

I volunteer frequently with Habitat for Humanity. It's really a great organization and I always have a lot of fun when I go. Not to mention, you learn a lot of practical skills related to construction and home repair!

GCAspies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jun 2013, 8:08 am

aspiekelly wrote:
Just wondering if you do any volunteer work.

I have done plenty of volunteer work in the past. Got my accounting experience that way. May be working for yet another nonprofit on a volunteer basis this summer with accounting-related stuff (I am an accounting major at my university). Given that, I've volunteered in soup kitchens, overnight shelters, and other places. I recommend volunteering for anyone, regardless if that person lives with autism/AS or not. Volunteering is a means of giving back to a community.

Scott

The mission of GCA Centre for Adult Autism:
"Empowering the lives of autistic adults and young adults and their parents/caregivers by serving as a resource center to provide mutual support, information, and activities" in the Southeast USA
http://www.gcaspies.org

2nd Annual Southeast Adult Autism Symposium
- Early Bird online registration starts in late March 2018
- More information can be found at http://www.gcaspies.org/symposiumhomepage

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2013, 2:02 am

I volunteer at a train museum.

I like trains.