Page 1 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 10:34 am

My dad listens to BlueGrass stuff all the time and it can get on my nerves. I'm not sure if it's just the music I can't get into or the culture that comes with it.

Country music also tends to be weak on beats and percussion.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 12:18 pm

There's plenty of good country out there, but the stuff that's popular today is just atrocious. Toby Keith, Keith Urban, Lady Antebellum, Rascal Flatts, Shania Twain, Faith Hill, Taylor Swift, Sugarland, Carrie Underwood, the Dixie Chicks, Reba McEntire, Tim McGraw... the list of things I'd rather do than listen to five seconds of any of this shrill "music" is sordid indeed. Give me Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, David Allan Coe, and Dwight Yoakam. I can even respect older artists I don't even particularly enjoy, like Hank Williams. This modern "pop country" crap is to them what Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Nickelback, and Staind are to Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, and Slayer.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 2:36 pm

I once't played a country music record backerds.

Muh dawg came back to life ... muh truck started workin agin ... ex-wife left her boyfriend and told me she loved me ... her maw was nice to me, too ... my maw got out on parole ... dad stopped drinkin and got a job ... crops started growin ... tractor flipped back up on its wheels ... Timmy got up outta the well all by hisself ... muh bruther went back to school and gradiated with onners ... muh sister wernt pregnint after all (guess ah dunt hafta marry her now) ... and muh boss shook muh hand and gave me a raise ...

Scart the livin Bejeezus outta me.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 4:04 pm

:hail: Tears are a'rollin down my face :lmao:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 6:01 pm

It gets worse...

I sold the double-wide
With all the cars in the yard
Took classes at the college
They weren't all that hard.

I bought a real house,
With the toilets inside!
And electric light bulbs!
I've never felt such pride.

"Ain't" is now a word
That I no longer use.
And now the TV remote
Is all I ever abuse.

Sometimes, it's really funny
Inside this white picket fence.
All it takes is some money,
And a lot of common sense!

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

31 May 2013, 6:25 pm

:lmao:

Now you're cracking me up!

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 6:26 pm

:hail:

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 6:26 pm

I prefer BlueGrass, in fact this Haley Bonar track :- CLICK LINK THEN PRESS PLAY is about my favourite record at the moment.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 6:29 pm

"why, baby, why" [George Jones, RIP] is as good a basic country record, as any of the old classics.

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 6:34 pm

I have great respect and affection for bluegrass music, but country old or new just does not appeal to me. Now some of the picking can be really good, but then when they start singing both the subject of the lyrics and the way they sing them both turn me off.

Too many songs are about wallowing in self-pity and I don't like being that way. And the twang (as someone else pointed out) is also annoying. Even singers who aren't from the south affect a fake accent when they do country.

A lot may have to do with what you grew up with. For me rock and roll has always been the ticket. There is a lot of noise out there, but some rock songs are musically complex and with intellectually challenging lyrics. Country on the other hand seems to have dumbing down lyrics. Also there is much Christian singing in country music, and I am not a Christian.

On the other hand, the main reason I started playing guitar and writing my own songs is because I really didn't like anything I was hearing out there, even in the rock genre. That said, most of my original songs are in the style of the classic rock from the late 1960s to the late 1970s, with some pop punk and reggae influences mixed in.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 9:03 pm

Well, I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison
And I went to pick her up in the rain
But before I could get to the station in my pickup truck
She got runned over by a damned old train

Excerpt from "You Never Even Call Me By My Name", by David Allan Coe.

Zombie369
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 May 2013, 9:55 pm

I don't mind the really old country songs as much as the new music. It seems like all country singers want to sing about these days is how much they hate city slickers and liberal democrats. It's just like how rap singers are always singing about drugs and how they think all women are hoes. It's all offensive and degrading in my opinion, I perfer music that doesn't deliberately try to offend people.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 10:04 pm

^^^
that is why I prefer instrumental music such as that produced by the glorious Wurlitzer theatrical pipe organs, who are offensive only to those who cannot stand schmaltz.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 10:19 pm

Now, this is music!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSH0eRKq1lE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkL7n46J6nY[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOW_TmbrTt8[/youtube]

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 11:04 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIHRgisdbeY[/youtube]

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 2:29 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
But Rap and Rock music sound like primitive noise to me. I dont understand why people like it.

Funny you say that because technically speaking there is nothing primitive about the sounds in Rap or Rock, they are dependent on modern technology. The only primitive thing about them is they have roots in African rhythm music, though a lot of Rock has ditched those roots, and Rap is sort of it's own thing. Anyway, there is nothing in Rock that is more primitive than anything in Country. Country is a form of Folk music at art, which is regarded to be the most primitive form of music. Call Rock and Rap noisy or unruly, but technically they aren't primitive at all, not that there is anything wrong with being primitive.

Anyway, there is some Country I like, mainly stuff in the realm of Bluegrass or that's somehow been mixed with Rock, but for the most part I just don't find it very interesting, not stimulating in any way, I really don't like the sound of Southern Drawl, and modern crap like Taylor Swift is just plain awful.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html