Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mackico
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 May 2013, 3:14 am

So I went and got my hair cut today.

Not really a big issue any for me any more, but it used to be. It was such a nightmare going in to the salon, and having the hairdresser ask me what style I wanted, when all I needed was for it to be shorter, and something low maintenance. The hairdressers would always hand me a magazine and tell me to flick through until I found something I liked the look of, when all I ever wanted was just a couple of inches off. But they always wanted to know what style to cut it into, and I never knew what they were even talking about. All those styles that they seem to be able to be able to tell the difference between all look the same to me.

Anyone else ever have this issue with hair dressers?

How did you solve it?

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 3:22 am

I hate getting my hair cut and I don't. I get it trimmed a maximum of once a year and not always that much.

The last time I got it trimmed the hairdresser said to my mother "she'll kill me if I cut off more" so now I know I have someone I can trust to not take too much off.

Ignace93
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 May 2013, 3:31 am

I cut my own hair with clippers since recently. Before that my dad always used to cut it, I've only been to a hairdresser a couple of times in my life lol.

Rattus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 May 2013, 3:32 am

As a child, I always just did what I was told to by my parents, it never occurred to me not to. However, as an adult I really don't like having my hair cut what so ever and as a result I haven't had a hair cut since the last time my parent's marched me to the hairdressers due to a family wedding, that was 2 years ago.
Like you, all I ever want is something easy and a trim, the hairdresser was rude to me last time and tried to 'girlify' me and I came out with something I really didn't want. As a result I really don't want to go to the hairdresser again, I know I'll have to eventually though.
The only recommendation I have is to find someone who you know can cut hair. Previously (before the last time) I had someone who was lovely and would always cut the bare minimum off and would always do the same thing each time. I trusted her a lot and never had a problem.
On a side point, does anyone else have a real problem with hair in their clothing after it's been cut? I always have to wear something to the hairdressers that I am prepared to never wear again because after they cut my hear that item of clothing is always itchy.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 3:33 am

When you get a good haircut, one that you like, take pictures of yourself. Next time you go show the pictures.

Popsicle
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 3:34 am

Most of them don't really listen. That's why they want a photo to look at. They are trained to have you choose a photo and point to it, so that's what most of them do. If all you wanted was a trim that seems especially idiotic but that's how most of them do it.

I used to have one disaster after another when I still had my hair cut in salons (now I just trim it myself.) From having it dyed a color I didn't agree to, to having my long hair chopped above my ears, without permission. And that was with bringing photos in.

I don't know why they are like that. It's irritating.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 3:37 am

After my next trim I was thinking of trying to do it myself. I've seen some instructions before on the long hair forum I read on how to trim it yourself and make it look ok. Some don't even do real trims and just do what they call "search and destroy" which means looking through the ends for split ends and only trimming those.

mackico
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 May 2013, 3:43 am

I hate having long hair because it always itches.

So I have quite a short hair cut even though I'm a girl.

And that makes it harder. So for the last three years, my way of solving the haircut issue, has been to just walk in, and honestly ask for a mohawk. Completely shaved on the sides, one inch long on the top, an inch and a half long on the top, an inch and a half wide. Works like a charm, looks exactly the same every time. My hair never gets in my eyes and the hairdresser never bothers with the annoying magazines or asking me what style I want or anything like that.

I do notice that some people give me "funny" looks in the street. I have not yet been able to decipher these looks that they give me, but I actually think they're kind of amusing. I also have tattoos. I imagine seeing someone with tattoos and a mohawk might give someone a bit of a misleading impression, when really I'm quite a conservative and shy person.

Bubbles137
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 3:54 am

I hate getting my hair cut so I usually only go about every five years to get it short then let it grow really long again! I don't like people being that near me or touching my hair or trying to make conversation with the hairdresser or sitting in a room with people I don't know for that long. Once, the woman I work with cut my hair for me and that wasn't too bad- it was at school lunchtime and the kids thought it was hilarious that my hair was in the bin when they came back into the classroom!

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 6:20 am

Popsicle wrote:
Most of them don't really listen. That's why they want a photo to look at. They are trained to have you choose a photo and point to it, so that's what most of them do. If all you wanted was a trim that seems especially idiotic but that's how most of them do it.

I used to have one disaster after another when I still had my hair cut in salons (now I just trim it myself.) From having it dyed a color I didn't agree to, to having my long hair chopped above my ears, without permission. And that was with bringing photos in.

I don't know why they are like that. It's irritating.

A large proportion of people are not very good at their jobs, even if they think they are.

You need to find a new hairdresser if you can. Tell them to become a dog groomer instead, if they don't care what the customer wants.

You can always refuse to pay if they have done something you specified not to, for this you have to be really clear though.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 6:34 am

I just tell them " I want something shorter and low-maintenance.".

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 8:07 am

I hate going to the hairdressers because they always tell me where to look, how to place my head and to sit still and stop moving, and I can't do all that because I hate having people that tell me what to do and I can't stop stimming and (therefore) moving.

The last time I got an haircut was 4 months ago and finally I had my hair cut short again (it had grown longer since the last time I got to the hairdressers), because long hair is always itchy and I hate it expecially during summer because it makes my neck even more sweaty.

The problem is that now my hair is growing longer again, I would want it to be cut short again when they'll be long but don't want to go to the hairdressers because I hate it and I'm too lazy and careless to cut it myself.

scyphozoa
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 May 2013, 10:40 am

i also haaaaaaaate getting my hair cut! i've always wished they'd have an option to put you to sleep while the procedure is done haha. i just mumble i want it shorter then stare at the floor and think about stuff i'm interested in until its over. i tried cutting my hair myself a couple times but then was really self conscious if i did it wrong and it looked weird so i went back to letting the pros doing it and putting up with it.

RenegadeRaven
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2013, 10:49 am

I stopped going to the barber's years ago. I was sensitive with strangers pulling and cutting my hair so I just shaved my head for a while until just using a trimmer for a very short buzz cut.

I love the feel of my scalp being able to feel cold air and I hated the extra heat generated from my excess hair. Plus I hated having my hair try to penetrate the outer rim of my ears. Do not know why but it bothers me as much as unibrows.

Chrisicus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2013, 10:54 am

I hate getting my hair cut, my parents used to have a hairdresser to cut all of our hair but I used to kick off so much of a fuss that my mum taught herself how to cut hair and did mine instead. I couldn't imagine getting my hair cut by someone else. I always have it short so I only have to wash it!

xMistrox
Toucan
Toucan

31 May 2013, 11:02 am

Most of the time my mother cut my hair, and I always hated sitting there for so long and getting my scalp and ears prodded with sharp scissors. I've always had a bowl cut essentially, but in my teens I started doing my own hair and I just use a pair of clippers on the highest length and give myself a buzz cut about once every 2 months. Cost efficient and quick with little discomfort other than the vibrating/buzzing sounds.

RAADS-R: 189 total
Diagnosed 9/2013