Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mackico
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 May 2013, 3:47 am

Out of interest, who else here is on the spectrum and also has tattoos? I imagine quite a few people can't deal with needles, so they just wouldn't even go there. But long before I found out I had ASD I was in a tattoo parlour getting inked.

Does anyone else have any tattoos, or is this something that most people with ASDs don't do?

Bubbles137
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 3:51 am

Have a look at this thread :)

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt230859.html

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 4:56 am

I have 1. Hidden from view though as it for me and no one else. Also means it won't fade from the sun and look terrible like so many people's do

It's starts black at the bottom and fades into electric blue. Only had it a year but still love it like the day I got it done.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 7:26 am

I don't have tattoos and I'm not interested in having one because I see no point in putting ink on my skin.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 May 2013, 8:36 am

I have 8 tattoos with the thought of possibly getting a 9th.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 12:19 pm

No I don't care for tattoos and no it's not an ASD thing because I know more people with tattoos than without, as though it's become a trend in this country, just like hair-dyeing.

Barefoot_Boy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 May 2013, 9:27 pm

I've got some major tattoo work planned this summer to go on my body. I'm really excited about the whole tattoo process and seeing the finished results on my body.

John Greenleaf Whittier

Wivil
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jun 2013, 4:26 am

I would never get a tattoo.....i have a low pain tolarance, in sum cultures known as being a wimp.

I thought this looked cool and theres really no other thread to post it in.....
http://www.tattoostime.com/new-bird-and ... o-on-back/

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 5:52 am

I have always thought they were pretty ugly other than the old military tattoos

I hate when people get tattoos just for the sake of getting one it always looks stupid

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 4:26 pm

I have one with intention of getting atleast two more

PowderHound

21 Oct 2013, 4:49 pm

Resurrecting an old thread, eh? I don't have any tattoos yet, but for a few years I've been wanting a back mural and a few on my arms that match with wilderness and Greek mythology themes. My only concern is that I might later feel silly with Greek icons on my body when I'm mostly Scottish and German, and 0% Greek. I honestly have not seen that many good Greek mythology tattoos that weren't of Medusa, though. If anyone has a link to pictures of good ones, feel free to chime in (esp if they involve Hephaestus, Athena, Apollo, or volcanoes). Too bad sleeves are still a problem in white collar jobs :(

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2013, 6:51 am

I certainly respect others opinions, but I have made it clear I HATE tattoos with a passion. I've even told my GF it's an instant deal breaker because I just despise them so much. I wouldn't mind so much as to the fact they are permanent and if I were to take a marker and draw on myself people would think I was crazy yet those same people see nothing wrong with tattoos. I also hate that it's a fad among seemingly all young women just like like nearly every boy had their left ear pierced in the 90s. I always laugh at those who express their individuality.... just like everyone else.

You have to question in such a tight economy why people get tattoos on their necks, faces, hands, arms, etc when that makes them pretty much unemployable in many fields. What are they thinking? No answer the OPs question of all the people I suspect are Aspies I've never met one who had a tattoo and other than a single ear piercing in a female, none of them have any piercings so it might be a ASD thing.

Tori0326
Toucan
Toucan

22 Oct 2013, 7:35 am

Technically, I have three tattoos but the third was redoing the first that had faded significantly and adding an RIP for my brother onto it. I got my first tattoo before it was the thing to do, I'm pretty certain it was 1990 so I've had it over half my life at this point.

My second tattoo I designed a Celtic knot band tattoo and two friends got the same design tattooed with me, all around our lower leg. Different thicknesses though. Mine is the thickest of the three.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2013, 11:19 am

I have one. I just couldn't imagine myself, at the end of my days, saying "Wow. Made it all the way and managed to NOT get a tat!"

I've found, despite AS, life is for living, not for hiding from.

You only get to go around once; just once. So throw yourself at life and experience as much as you can.

P.S. Yes you do get bumps and frights and scrapes along the way, but "so what!" It's beautiful.

den

PowderHound

22 Oct 2013, 2:15 pm

Tattoos are very much a fad right now, but for some people they are more than that. They are art and a form of expression. I would agree that generic tattoos are equivalent to guys with pierced left ears in the 90's, but there are plenty of custom designs that aren't. Tattoos also have significance in many cultures (historically speaking). Tattoos were very much a part of Celtic societies, and in Greece they were considered disgraceful--often criminals would be tattooed to signify them as such. Celtic tattoos could be a way of embracing one's heritage and culture, and Greek tattoos could be a way of rejecting social hierarchy. I think there are a number of reasons to get tattoos, some of which are pretty shallow, but many of which are not. Some people don't like tattoos, but others do. It is disrespectful to criticize what other people do with their own bodies, however, and I think generalizing people with tattoos is a bit prejudiced and narrow-minded.

Trying to express individuality or show non-conformity by copying others can seem counterintuitive, but really I think that most people who do so are trying to reject specific social standards while relating to people who share similar values. Expressing one's individuality (in a potentially non-conformist way in this case) is not only a matter of being different, it's a matter of associating with like-minded people. Thinking of non-conformity and individual expression as trying to not fit in at all is a misconception, much like people often confuse anti-social and a-social behavior. Not wanting to fit in at all would be a-social (schizoid/schizophrenic), and anti-social would be wanting to only fit in with a minority of like-minded people. I think a good example of this would be tattoo festivals, which show how people expressing themselves through anti-social behavior can associate. To be completely honest, one reason I want visible tattoos is to make myself more approachable to like-minded people, and less approachable to people who would judge me negatively because of tattoos. I also wouldn't mind covering up some scars.

As for tattoos in the workplace, things are changing. Lots of employers still discriminate, but an increasing number of them don't, showing a trend towards acceptance that is not slowing down. With how common tattoos are becoming in younger generations, and with these younger generations replacing the old, it seems like tattoos will only become more and more acceptable.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2013, 2:32 pm

I have several.

They mean absolutely nothing. I got them because I felt like it.

But I've found that they're very effective at keeping stupid people away from me.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)