Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

SpiderFan14
Raven
Raven

31 May 2013, 5:24 pm

Does it feel like, if you have autism/on the spectrum, you're a robot? Like, you're this machine that is to make sure everyone is happy but have to put up with the organics, whose various flaws drive you mad because you know you're in control of your emotions but they aren't?

Sometimes within my family, I feel like that. Like Hal 9000, watching the organics flail about while you know you have to do the sacrifices they programmed you for but they get mad at you for doing them. I just wish I was like the Borg, able to convert them to my perspective, make them fear me when I get mad when I fear them.

Is this a common problem or is it just me overreacting?

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 5:32 pm

I love robots. I think that it is great that I share some traits with robots.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

31 May 2013, 5:34 pm

I don't think like this, but I have been accused of thinking like this. Mostly as a joke.

I find robots quite fascinating.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 10:07 pm

Oh yes. I very much feel like I'm just a passenger in this biological chassis.
I'm not really sure what's happening until it does.

Or a bit like a captain on a ship, I can give directions but someone-else actually increases the engine speed and/or steers it.
All my motions, dance, martial arts, music - especially physical things feels like its "the crew" running the actual controls.

I'm often amazed at how immensely fast, or precise, or even klutzy I can be.
It's a bit embarrassing.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 10:24 pm

Do autistics dream of autistic sheep?

Scia
Raven
Raven

31 May 2013, 10:26 pm

I'm not sure I'd say I feel like a robot (I'd have to think on that one), but I have always liked computer/robot/cyborg-type characters. When I was growing up, my favorite Star Trek characters were Data, Seven-of-Nine, and the Doctor. My favorite game series is MegaMan (particularly the X sub-series). I enjoyed watching the Tron movies. The Portal games are a recent addition, as well. (It is fun to act out GLaDOS, including facial expressions and movements that just FEEL appropriate.)

Hmm... I suppose I have felt that it seems like my mind, and the way I comprehend and organize information, is more like a database than, say, a text document, or even a spreadsheet. Does that count?

Kafke
Raven
Raven

01 Jun 2013, 8:50 am

1401b wrote:
Oh yes. I very much feel like I'm just a passenger in this biological chassis.
I'm not really sure what's happening until it does.

Or a bit like a captain on a ship, I can give directions but someone-else actually increases the engine speed and/or steers it.
All my motions, dance, martial arts, music - especially physical things feels like its "the crew" running the actual controls.

I'm often amazed at how immensely fast, or precise, or even klutzy I can be.
It's a bit embarrassing.

Wow. That's a surprisingly accurate description of how I feel. Most of my actions I don't really think about. I just think "crew, go do this" and they do. Like the good crewmen they are. I can even command crewmen that I [i]don't[i] have, if that makes any sense. Like, if I had a third arm, I know exactly how to tell it to do what I want.

However, none of it feels like it's actually me controlling it. Which sometimes causes me to trip over myself for no reason.

You are very likely an Aspie

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 8:54 am

No.

azaam
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jun 2013, 10:42 am

All I know is I used to draw army robots when I was a kid. I think I'll go watch Iron Man 3 now.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 11:14 am

Makes me think of David from Prometheus.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 11:37 am

My daughter has a special interest about a robot character and likes robots.

I don't feel like a robot, they can be scary as they are too emotionless, although I admire their logical approach and too much emotion is a hindrance and difficult to deal with. I can appreciate robots and wouldn't mind having one to do tasks, or even to have a good conversation with.

Maybe those people on the spectrum who feel like robots, do so because they have really severe alexithymia.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 12:43 pm

I think that is half-true in my case. In my opinion, although I do share some traits with robots, such as the fact that I am intelligent, most robots do not have the ability to express or show emotions. I do have that ability, though I do hide them from time to time.