Go for it! 90%  90%  [ 26 ]
You're crazy 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 29

rpm2004
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2007, 7:35 pm

Hi,I'm Robert

Last year I weighed approximately 305 pounds (138 Kilos or 21.7 stone).I now weigh 227 pounds (103 Kilos or 16.2 Stone).I am still in the process of losing weight and by my estimation I should be done in June.I now enjoy walking,I walk about 4 miles a day.I also enjoy sightseeing and going to places I've never been.For these reason I am seriously considering finishing off my weight loss with a cross-America trek.I Haven't decided my start or finish points (LA to NY seems a little Over done)but I do know that I would have to walk at least 20 miles a day if I wanted to get done before winter (assuming I would start in June).What do you guys (and gals) think? Is it do-able? am I crazy? too many questions?

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2007, 2:05 am

8O wow

You're already on the right track man, 20 more kilos and you'll be great (I'm asumming your height is about 1.75 meters), are you sure about it?

rpm2004
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2007, 8:38 pm

Yeah I'm pretty sure...I'm already trying to get sponsored.This is what I sent to a bunch of cmpanies.

"(This email is concerning a possible sponsorship by your fine company)

Hello, My name is Robert. I am 19 years old and I have Asperger’s syndrome ( a form of Autism).I have recently gone through drastic lifestyle changes and approximately one year ago I weighed three hundred and five pounds, I now weigh two-hundred and twenty pounds. Obviously I still have some pounds to lose and I know I can do it.

A question came to mind one evening “What will you do when you finish the loss?; .how will you celebrate your new life as a healthy and fit individual?”. The answer was as simple as it was daunting. I enjoy walking (something I used to consider a chore) and I walk every chance I get, usually 1-2 hours a day so it naturally occurred to me that a walk was the perfect answer; By walking across America (from sea to shining sea) I am hoping to kick-start my healthy new lifestyle and ensure good nutritional and motivational ideals are imprinted in me forever.

I want to do this not just for my health but also for my confidence. As an autistic person with which socially impediments are abundant; I have had poor self-esteem my entire life, being overweight didn’t help much in that category either; By completing something that most people would think of as a tremendous feat or downright crazy, I will always have that memory to give me confidence when such a situation arises that I am in need of it .Whether it be taking a risk at work or talking to an exceptionally pretty young woman, I’d think “hey, you walked 3,000 miles, you can do anything”.

Just imagine the news report…”A young autistic man finishes his journey of weight loss and self-affirmation by walking across the US and I’m told we’re going live to the finish line where he’s about to give a heartfelt thanks to the company that made it all possible”. Please be that company which I can thank.

Excitedly awaiting your response,

-Robert p. Morency"

Anxiled
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Feb 2007, 7:29 pm

I am delighted with your progress and your willingness to challenge yourself. Nevertheless, I am skeptical about the logistics of walking across the country, and I worry about your safety. Will you have a buddy following you in a car? You would have to walk along interstates or turnpikes, which I don't think is allowed, or at the very least, safe. For example, I live in the suburbs, and if I wanted to walk into the city, I would have to walk along a highway, then cross a toll bridge. Most of the country, even in heavily populated states, is in the middle of nowhere. Walking 4 miles a day sounds like plenty of exercise, as your results have already proven. Have you considered jogging? Perhaps you could travel by car, and along the way, find parks and walking trails along the way. If you live near a large city, perhaps you could walk every street and avenue. I hope this is not sounding too critical, but I don't want to see you get run over or attacked by rednecks.

rpm2004
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2007, 9:22 pm

Thanks for your concern,I've thought about all of those things you mentioned and I have figured it out.

I can walk along highways and interstates,there is a federal law that restricts states from making it illegal.

I'm going to follow route 50 which and if I finish a day of walking and I'm still in the limits of a city,I will stay in a motel.When I'm not in a city I will sleep in a tent.

I will bring some form of protection (mace,stungun,et cetera) so that I don't get attacked.

I'll always have a cellphone with me in case of emergency or if I just want to call my family.

Walking isn't a strenuous exercise and 20 miles a day should be no problem once I lose some more weight.(I now weigh 220)

I've consulted my doctor and she sees no reason why I won't be able to do this.

rpm2004
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2007, 7:24 pm

Update:I'm recieving partial sponsor ship from the following companies

Camelbak (Water holding backpacks)
Sorbothane (Insoles)
ASICS (Shoes)
Newlife (Energy foods)

Anxiled
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Feb 2007, 6:54 pm

Congrats!! !! !
Good luck and most of all, be careful.

rpm2004
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 9:31 pm

Thank you :)

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2007, 1:06 am

If you plan it right, I doubt you will have any trouble finding safe roads to walk on. I believe the only places in which you must travel an interstate highway to get where you need to, are in states with vast expanses, like Kansas.

I’ve traveled across the state of Virginia in two days, on human-powered wheels. I can tell you that I felt much safer doing that with a rear-view mirror that clips on my sunglasses, than I probably would’ve without the mirror.

rpm2004
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2007, 10:57 pm

Thanks for the tip Flismflop!

Update:

I just got interviewed by a local independent news organization,and they are gonna give me a camera to take with me and document my trip with.

I'm working on a self-narrated video slide show and it will be done by the end of the week.When I finish it I'll upload it to youtube™ and link to it from here.

I now weigh 213 lbs. (96.6 Kilos or 15.2 stone)

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2007, 2:24 pm

Well done, you have great motivation to have come this far and organised so many things. Hope it all goes well.

rpm2004
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2007, 4:26 pm

Thanks Graelwyn,I need all the support I can get. :)

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 3:11 am

congrats man! and good luck :)

rpm2004
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 5:34 am

My youtube video is finally complete.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JxCQMxpSBdg

Enjoy!

Dundunduuun
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Mar 2007, 3:59 pm

What you are doing is fantastic, and you've already nearly lost 100 pounds! :D

Being overweight is real knock to your self-esteem, particuarly in Autistic people, so I have to really congratulate you on taking this effort! :D

rpm2004
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 6:27 pm

Thank you :D