My accomplishments maybe aren't that legit

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 1:26 pm

Putting out fires from work: I can do it only if it fits into a scenario that I've learned before. I do rely on advice from my coworkers in order to carry through. Like today, I had no clue at first, until my coworker started giving pointers. After some "hints," the path I needed to take became clearer.

International trade and monetary theory class in college: This was a 4000-level class. Even though I'm normally good at math it was not easy for me to grasp and due to its early time I kept missing it. I tried discussing the theory with the teacher, but I was shown to be totally clueless about how partial derivatives worked. At the final exam, which I took early with my teacher because I needed to go to my grandma's funeral, I was totally clueless and looking to get an F in the class, when the teacher walked me through the test and in a not-so-direct way basically gave me the answers. It was both relieving and guilt causing at the same time, and ever since then I've considered myself a fraud. In fact, that happened with lots of my college classes. I wouldn't attend class, get in trouble, and then go running to the teacher for help--at least I'd do that. In a way, I juggled my way through college.

Driving: I can drive pretty well, but I've increasingly become aware that I have a tendency to move in and out of my lane, especially if my mind wanders. I can do all the good keeping on things, but have trouble staying in my lane. I also suck in the parking lot.

All this has left me feeling like a fraud.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 3:25 pm

beneficii wrote:
Putting out fires from work: I can do it only if it fits into a scenario that I've learned before. I do rely on advice from my coworkers in order to carry through. Like today, I had no clue at first, until my coworker started giving pointers. After some "hints," the path I needed to take became clearer.

"If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - attributed to Issac Newton.

If anyone seriously claims they know exactly what to do without any experience or instruction, then they are full of themselves. EVERYBODY learns how to do something at work, ethier from experience, "pointers", "hints", case studies, etc.

You don't sound like a fraud.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 9:16 pm

AgentPalpatine wrote:
beneficii wrote:

"If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - attributed to Issac Newton.

If anyone seriously claims they know exactly what to do without any experience or instruction, then they are full of themselves. EVERYBODY learns how to do something at work, ethier from experience, "pointers", "hints", case studies, etc.

    Who can answer better than this? I second this motion.

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 12:48 am

1401b wrote:
AgentPalpatine wrote:
beneficii wrote:

    Who can answer better than this? I second this motion.

A motion has been brought to the floor and seconded.

A vote is in order, and I vote in favor of the motion.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 1:44 am

I don't think that getting help to do things means that you didn't legitly do the things that you did.

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 3:25 am

Love the you you've yet to know.

EQ: 6.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 4:32 am

I'll vote for the motion.

You have people in your life that appreciate you and your character.
The other option would be that nobody offers advice at work and you have to learn the hard way.
I'm sure your lecturers wanted you to succeed, this would not happen if you had not put in any effort.

As for the driving, it's a co-ordination issue that many of us have, it is very important that you remember that driving 2 tons of metal around should be given the utmost respect. Many peoples minds do wander and is often the cause of "accidents". You have been warned...........