Does extreme physical or mental fatigue reduce your stimming

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jun 2013, 8:34 pm

I have recently become aware that when very physically or mentally active, my stimming subsides substantially. It is more so with extreme physical exertion. In the case of mental exhaustion, its more related to physical fatigue caused by sacrificing sleep for purposes of the mental activity. With extreme fatigue I often experience a state of euphoria in which all troubles seem to vanish.

Do any of you have the same experiences?

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2013, 8:44 pm

Yeah, I find that as well. If something has got me to the point of fatigue, item I don't have the energy to do a thing, including stimming. I'm unsure what I feel like during these energy lows, the feeling of being drained si is the best way I can describe it.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 4:32 am

physical activity reduces my stimming inded, but only during the acivity.
i am usualy repressing my stimming a lot (well, physical stims, i prefer mental ones), so fatigue makes them more prevalent, as i cannot supress as well when tired.
also, mental activity means i rederect brainpower i use to reduce stimming for the task at hand, also making my (visible) stims increase...

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 5:28 am

Just the opposite. I only stim when I'm fully hyperactive and exhausted at the same time (I can't barely move but I can't stop at the same time). Though perhaps this is not really austist stimming but more related to the ADHD.

charlottez
Raven
Raven

02 Jun 2013, 7:58 am

Opposite. This can be very challenging if I'm stressed or exhausted at work or in public. I have to cover up the stimming with socially normal behaviors. I have a few stims that I do with my wrists, arms, shoulder and sometimes fingers. I try to turn it into what looks like a stretch if the compulsion is too great not to give into.