Swelling and pain on my left wrist / hand

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 12:19 pm

I woke up yesterday morning with a swollen spot on the bottom of my left wrist. There's some slight bruising around the exterior of the swelling (which is in an oval shape, about 1 1/2" long). I feel pain shooting up the top of my wrist, and a lot of tingling/numbness near my pinkie finger.

I have been using ice and ibuprofen, and that helps a little. Just a little. I woke up this morning and it hurts even more.

Typing with one hand really sucks. My left wrist is on ice while I type this with my right hand.

I have to go back to work on Tuesday, where I am responsible for maintaining the database. Lots of typing at that job. Yikes.

And I can't afford to have any more medical bills currently, and I know if I saw a doctor, my mother would give me a ton of grief about how I am doing nothing but adding to my debts.

So, that's my dilemma. Lovely, huh?

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 12:27 pm

I wonder if it could possibly be Gout?

Typically, Gout hits the right big toe causing joint pain and swelling, but it could possibly hit another joint area.

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 12:34 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:
I wonder if it could possibly be Gout?

Typically, Gout hits the right big toe causing joint pain and swelling, but it could possibly hit another joint area.

The swollen area is not red. I'm not sure if that disqualifies a diagnosis of gout, though.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 12:43 pm

I vote health over finances...get that checked out. Tell your mother it's an investment in keeping yourself healthy and working. :wink: Besides, catching issues early is almost always cheaper than waiting.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 2:35 pm

could be ganglion cyst. MjrMajorMajor is right about your health first.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 2:40 pm

I actually experience joint problems myself. What I do is to try to avoid activities that aggravate the problem. The second thing that works for me is when my joints are acting up, I go buy myself a couple of pineapples. Pineapples are hardly a panacea for joint problems, but they do contain bromelain, which is a fairly strong anti-inflammatory compound. In fact, you can buy bromelain capsules in any health food store worthy of the name, though I've found it doesn't work as well, or taste as good, as whole pineapples.