Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2013, 1:39 am

I recently sunk into a depressive state after moving the 9th time in my life and after loosing some friends for reasons i do not understand, my grandmother dying and my sister moving in, i shut down and ended up staying the hospital for a few days. While i was there, i spoke to a phsyciachrist and a phsychologist. They said that "aspergers diagnoses doesnt fit!" And i asked what doesnt fit. They said "well you want friends! Aspergers kids dont want friends, and you aknowledged you were different, aspergers kids dont acknowledge that. We just dont think you have aspergers" i respected them and didnt argue, i let them know an aspergers diagnoses did fit REALLY well to me so they said "well we will test you, but we think you have a mixture of a nonverbal learning disability, ADHD, OCD and social phobia." I agree about adhd and ocd but nonverbal learning disability doesnt explain EVERYTHING, for example

-i cannot understand verbal lectures in school

- i have a good grasp on how long time has passed

- i have a great visual memory

- im a visual learner

- not much empathy

- compolsivly stacked and piled as a child, loved to build.

Doctors know best anyways...

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jun 2013, 1:47 am

I have NLD and there are different subtypes of the disorder. Everyone who has been diagnosed with NLD is not the same as someone else with it. I hope you get what I'm saying.

Also, I don't comprehend verbal lectures either. The verbal information is so overwhelming that my brain overloads and I can't remember half of what I was supposed to remember.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2013, 1:58 am

Quote:
They said "well you want friends! Aspergers kids dont want friends, and you aknowledged you were different, aspergers kids dont acknowledge that.

They were incorrect.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2013, 1:59 am

RaspberryFrosty wrote:
I have NLD and there are different subtypes of the disorder. Everyone who has been diagnosed with NLD is not the same as someone else with it. I hope you get what I'm saying.

Also, I don't comprehend verbal lectures either. The verbal information is so overwhelming that my brain overloads and I can't remember half of what I was supposed to remember.

I dont know much about the disorder, but thanks for letting me know

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2013, 2:00 am

It seems that Asperger's Syndrome is one of those conditions best recognized by someone who specializes in that field. Regular doctors and psychologists aren't often aware of the subtleties where it's manifested. I specifically went to a clinical psychologist who specializes in Autism and Asperger's to see if I was on the spectrum or not.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

Who_Am_I wrote:
Quote:
They said "well you want friends! Aspergers kids dont want friends, and you aknowledged you were different, aspergers kids dont acknowledge that.

They were incorrect.

I agree

thechameleon
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
They said that "aspergers diagnoses doesnt fit!" And i asked what doesnt fit. They said "well you want friends! Aspergers kids dont want friends, and you aknowledged you were different, aspergers kids dont acknowledge that. We just dont think you have aspergers" i respected them and didnt argue,

It's kinda ridiculous that there's still 'professionals' out there that are so hopeless. Majority of aspergers kids do want friends but find them too hard to get/hold.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2013, 2:04 am

redrobin62 wrote:
It seems that Asperger's Syndrome is one of those conditions best recognized by someone who specializes in that field. Regular doctors and psychologists aren't often aware of the subtleties where it's manifested. I specifically went to a clinical psychologist who specializes in Autism and Asperger's to see if I was on the spectrum or not.

Thats where i got my aspergers diagnoses as well, my therapist works with all sorts of aspergers teens.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2013, 2:12 am

Hello, ZombieBrideXD! Welcome back!

There still seem to be some doctors that don't know much about AS. That makes it really hard for us to get a correct diagnosis. Not being able to make/keep friends is certainly one of the AS difficulties.

Dutchy
Raven
Raven

03 Jun 2013, 2:53 am

Pfff doctors huh? You might as well go to a 'chickenbar' when it comes to doctors and the understanding of autism/asperger these days. I must say, i have a NLD diagnosis too, but i can recognize myself more in an autism diagnosis than the NLD. Everybody's different you know, and i think that autism is too much stereotyped to be honest. Especially when it comes to women (a lot of the autism criterium are based on men with autism, despite that women are totally different!). My advise to you: just listen to your own feeling. You know yourself best. A diagnosis can explain a lot, but you're still a holistic human being, with your own typical way of being, just unique, one of a kind. Hope your depressive feelings are going down the drain and you're seeing another doctor, one who does understand the many faces of autism. Good luck! :wink:

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2013, 6:24 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
They said that "aspergers diagnoses doesnt fit!" And i asked what doesnt fit. They said "well you want friends! Aspergers kids dont want friends, and you aknowledged you were different, aspergers kids dont acknowledge that. We just dont think you have aspergers"

Idiots! This just shows the ignorance that abounds in the professional world regarding autism. "We don't want friends" - that's ridiculous. And of course we know we're different - how could we miss that!
It is so hard to find someone who actually knows about the disorder.
Good for you to push them to test you!! ! They should have done that in the first place.

BlackSabre7
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2013, 8:07 am

I agree. I do like friends - admittedly only sometimes, in small groups, in non-loud situations, when they are not full of s**t, and for no more than a few hours, or I overdose. But I do like them.
And I did always know I am different. I confirmed this with years of detailed analysis of the specific behaviours that I had that seemed to be different from how others behaved.
And I know that doctors are often wrong. I mean, KNOW that.
Give yourself some credit, and trust yourself. If you are capable of understanding what the condition is about, and you believe it fits you, don't tie yourself into knots just because some doctor thinks differently. That's what second opinions are for.
At the end of the day, you are an individual and unlike anyone else, so don't be surprised you don't quite fit into their little boxes.

Scia
Raven
Raven

04 Jun 2013, 2:19 am

I have heard it said outright that Aspies (or maybe Spectrumites in general) do often long for connections. Yes, we like to be alone a lot of the time, but that doesn't mean we don't get lonely. No, we don't like having a lot of friends, but that doesn't mean we don't want one or two.

And there's always an occasional exception to the 'non-social' thing, though I hear it's generally in a 'talk too much' manner.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 3:35 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
I recently sunk into a depressive state after moving the 9th time in my life and after loosing some friends for reasons i do not understand, my grandmother dying and my sister moving in, i shut down and ended up staying the hospital for a few days. While i was there, i spoke to a phsyciachrist and a phsychologist. They said that "aspergers diagnoses doesnt fit!" And i asked what doesnt fit. They said "well you want friends! Aspergers kids dont want friends, and you aknowledged you were different, aspergers kids dont acknowledge that. We just dont think you have aspergers" i respected them and didnt argue, i let them know an aspergers diagnoses did fit REALLY well to me so they said "well we will test you, but we think you have a mixture of a nonverbal learning disability, ADHD, OCD and social phobia." I agree about adhd and ocd but nonverbal learning disability doesnt explain EVERYTHING, for example

- im a visual learner

- not much empathy

I think they are talking out of their asses. The biggest load of bollocks ever. I think they are getting paid per diagnosis... :roll:

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Panddora
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Jun 2013, 4:50 am

whirlingmind wrote:
ZombieBrideXD wrote:

- im a visual learner

- not much empathy

I think they are talking out of their asses. The biggest load of bollocks ever. I think they are getting paid per diagnosis... :roll:

Couldn't have put it better myself!! I have always wanted friends and always recognised I am slightly 'different'

UDG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jun 2013, 5:03 am

Panddora wrote:
whirlingmind wrote:
ZombieBrideXD wrote:

- im a visual learner

- not much empathy

Couldn't have put it better myself!! I have always wanted friends and always recognised I am slightly 'different'

Something doesn't fit..... and that thing is the doctor. What an ignorant.....