Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Quest_techie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2007, 11:56 pm

anyone else on them? I just moved over to my obsession being comic books, specifically green lantern, I'm working on reading them all then I think I'm going to start looking for third party source materials <I think I might also make a diagram of differences before and after the crisis on infinite earths>

anyone else been through comic books? any pointers? any suggestions for material after green lantern?

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2007, 12:29 am

I used to love the WITCH comics by Disney, but they're for girls. :P

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2007, 12:32 am

I love Archie comics

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2007, 2:40 am

I collect Archie Comics.

that's my main stuff I like. I have a lot at home, and I brought some of them with me to college, and now i have a few more here with me in my dorm room. I had a large collection at my original home, and I sold them. wish I hadn't. I had the original three. got them as a present.

rauschenberg232
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jan 2007, 2:55 am

i am a massive comic book geek. my collection is approximately 4000 single issues and 300 or so graphic novels/collected editions (i've been collecting/reading them seriously for about 15 years, and i even worked at a comic shop for a couple years in high school).

if you're looking to cover a lot of continuity quickly (and cheaply) marvel has published quite a few of their "essential" collections that usually comprise 25 or so issues for $15-20 (dc has a similar line now, but i'm drawing a blank as to their collective title).

comics are a much larger, more varied medium than they generally get credit for, so it's tough to give you advice, not knowing what you're specifically into/looking for. if you're into superhero stuff i would recommend the "essential" collections of x-men and spiderman, and there is a lot of good stuff out there for batman. there is also a lot of really great non-superhero stuff out there, too. one of the best things you can do is to find a comic shop in your area and get to know the owner/employees, they will usually be very knowledgable (which seems like a prerequisite for the job, but it's not 100% true) and can help point you in the right direction based on what you've liked/not liked in the past. also, if you want to post more about what you like/dislike here i could make more recommendations (or feel free to pm me if you'd prefer). like most comic geeks, i rarely get tired of talking about comics.

one note of caution, comics can be a very expensive hobby (i currently spend on average $80-100 a month, and have spent as much as $200 a month), but a lot of libraries are starting to carry some graphic novels and collections.

Quest_techie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jan 2007, 4:01 am

right now I'm trying to stick to post crisis DC in terms of continuity understanding and coverage, not so much a marvel fan <I know makes me a charletan in some circles, but I just like DC better> I'm looking at archived collections to avoid spending money <why buy a mint first issue if it's been republished in a 20 dollar book with the entire rest of the series? doesn't happen a lot, but some things like the judas combine story arc from new teen titans got the reissue treatment>

I love batman and green lantern, not a superman, super boy, or other kryptonian fan, I enjoy martian manhunter, but not most of the super hero leagues\societies he landed in

Gamester
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2007, 4:13 am

X men
Superman
Batman.

Basically anything.

I'm a big Manga/Anime fan. So I watch a lot of that.

Right now........soon.............I'm gonna start in on the 4 seaons of Digimon I got off Ebay.

Melantha
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jan 2007, 2:55 pm

My favorite comics are Bone, Spawn, The Tick, Lenore, Aria (Blanc & Noir), Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, V for Vendetta.

When I was a kid I collected horror comics, which my mum hated. I had hundreds, but one day she asked me to pick them up off the floor and I didn't, so she used it as an excuse to throw them all in the fire and burn them. I still haven't forgiven her for that.