Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2013, 6:06 pm

Historically such hospitals committed political dissidents etc... but now they're closing them because they think they're harmful, to be replaced by 'community care', and I'm just afraid of this situation. I mean, using hospitals as a form of oppression is one thing, but if I absolutely must get out of my house for a while because I'm going insane in it... please, 'community care' is completely ineffective! (Of course, it defeats the point.)

My main problem had been loneliness, and I was going to try all the options I had to make doctors commit me at one point, so much that if I don't go there I would have rather went to jail (if things get out of hand)... but, suddenly I hear from national news that even some diagnosed schizophrenic who told a doctor that they couldn't cope and were going to kill a random stranger wouldn't be committed (and they ended up killing that stranger)... I mean, how more hopeless could it get? The ret*d judge said she was just pretending or something, but how the hell could one feign such a desperate state when they're ready and actually kill a stranger?

If I deteriorate more is that my fate, 40 years in jail, just because people have some sort of fetish with 'community care'? I often felt extreme states, and though I was never quite ready to kill myself or others it's like walking on ice that is probably going to cave in at some point... and with decades ahead in my life, would that almost make it a certainty, considering the time span? Most people don't care about others' lives because their families are usually helpful, to some degree at least... mine destroyed my life from inside out, and I certainly don't have the support of a family for 'community care' to be remotely 'effective'. What utter retardation from mental health services here! Even while visiting psychiatrists... they're like hens just clucking away! I seriously don't know why they still haven't been replaced by robots... or even anything at all, considering all they do is prescribe the same thing over and over, and if it doesn't work just prescribe another... a random lottery would probably be more effective than these useless pieces of f***s!

Otherside
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jun 2013, 7:22 am

I dont think they can get rid of them completley. "Community care" won't do much if you truly are psychotic/manic to the point that you're a threat to other people if you're left out in the community without treatment. I mean, really, what if I get ill to the point that I refuse to take any medication because I feel so full of energy again? There's no way that left out on my own with some stupid community care system with the meds is going to help...probably because I won't take the bloody things! At least if I'm hospitalized and under a section, I somewhat don't have a choice. Thankfully, it has never come to a section, but still, being somewhat sane at the momment, I can see that hospitilaztion might be needed if that happens again.

What bugs me is how they're cutting back the crisis team. But since I've already had to be seen a few times by that team, and it was in fact that team that decided I was actually unwell and not just "acting normally" as the usual psychiatrists said when I asked for help . Really, if somebody had just bloody listened instead of deciding I was "imagining these highs" or some other rubbish that they came up, chances are, it wouldn't have come to a trip the Crisis team before anyone bothered to do anything.

The mental health services over here are rubbish. Seriously. And they're cutting them? Next thing we know the governments going to decide that these problems are in fact, all in are head, and we don't need any sort of help or medication. I'd love to be able to "get better" and I would make an effort to...it just seems that nobody has actually offered any sort of help or support, and about the only time they'll step in is when the Crisis Team are once again called because I've gone absolutley crazy.

Sorry, that turned into a rant. But I agree with you. Closing hospitals just won't be good for anyone. Even if they aren't the most pleasant place to be.

Bubbles137
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 1:40 am

Mootoo wrote:
My main problem had been loneliness, and I was going to try all the options I had to make doctors commit me at one point, so much that if I don't go there I would have rather went to jail (if things get out of hand)...

I can kind of relate the that. My last ED admission was at least partly because I lost enough weight to go into the 'death possible' category so I would be readmitted because I was so lonely and fed up with feeling s**t and empty the whole time. Ironically, I couldn't deal with the 'social side' of being an inpatient and discharged myself three months later! But at the time, I didn't really care if something major did happen because I felt so lonely.