Hi.....new and a bit overwhelmed......

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Wibbly
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jun 2013, 7:10 pm

Hi. :)

My children (14 & 16.5) have just been diagnosed with ADHD and "Very high functioning" Aspergers, successively. I have been diagnosed with both Aspie and ADHD, which explains my whole life! After research....both husband's family AND mine are completely riddled with it....including a successful and famous author who, when identified after passing away as being Aspie or High Functioning Autistic threw the family into a huge temper. (So I am NOT telling them now!! ! lol).

I have a neuroscientist sis-in-law who just diagnosed herself about 6 weeks ago. So we are going to further our research together.

I am happy....I am reeling and tearful.....I have been told I've everything right so far for both of my boys.......just feel very overloaded.

So - am here.....ummmm.....to say hi...maybe connect with people who have experienced similar - or not - dunno really. Wanting to find somewhere safe. Quiet.....anonymous in a way for a bit......:roll:

How are you guys and what are your stories?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 1:25 am

hiya Wibbly :) welcome to our cool club 8) you are in good company here.

Wibbly

04 Jun 2013, 1:30 am

Thank you. I have just had a good counsellor who we have been to before (Truth Training - awesome stuff)...panic a bit and not want me to do anything till she chats with me. I am open minded - the truth training has us all where we are today - but I don't think there is harm in finally finding the piece of the puzzle that "gives you your place in the world"....finally.

=)

She's worried that some over diagnose - and she's right. She worried about, i think, using labels as excuses. But I'm not like that - I use labels to educate and move on with NO excuses left. Just understanding for some things we cannot change.

xx

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 1:35 am

I was dx'ed as AS in my early 40s. finally I had some kind of sensible answer to the big question of my life, which was- why was I such a misfit? now my misfitness at least makes some kind of sense.

Wibbly

04 Jun 2013, 2:03 am

I am 45 tomorrow. So yeah - I know what you mean. And when I was telling a close friend the other day (I have managed to accumulate an odd collection of NT mates who just love my quirks, over the years - but most can;t tolerate me even tho mine is really hard to spot).....and she interrupted gently and said....you're an Aspie aren't you? She's known for ages about me and the kids. A special kind of friend.

=)

I am so glad you have your answer too. We finally belong somewhere. :D

Moomingirl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 3:31 am

Welcome Wibbly :D

I am in NZ too. I just got diagnosed a few months ago, and I know exactly what you mean about it finally explaining your whole life. It takes a bit of getting used to, suddenly finding there is a reason for everything you have been through.

Make yourself at home here, you will find lots of people understand you here.

Wibbly

04 Jun 2013, 4:46 am

Thank you Moomingirl. :)

I love the Moomins. When my eldest was born prem, and still in hospital, I would wake every morning and sit at the end of our bed in front of our 14 inch tv, watching the Moomins while I expressed milk to take in to him for his tube and then eventual bottle feeding. I find the Moomins charming, in the best sense.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 4:49 pm

SSJ4_PrestonGarvey wrote:
ThisAdamGuy wrote:
SSJ4_PrestonGarvey wrote:
Really, that is surprising. I would expect them to shrug off report of just simply an annoying irritating guy but I wouldn't expect threats of violence to be ignored.

It sounds surprising because it isn't true. If you go to the police because someone is threatening you, no matter how they're doing it or what gender you are, they will take action against whoever is threatening you. Saying otherwise is, again, just giving yourself a victim complex.

That's in line with what I'd expect unless perhaps I lived somewhere with sky high crime, where maybe they'll tell me to join the club if I say I got threatened. Maybe Detroit or something?

I'd think it to be the kind of negligence they could lose their job for if people got murdered when they could have acted to prevent it, where it happened because they disregarded reports of threats.

Women get harassed a lot online. The cops don't want to be bothered with it most of the time because it's so prevalent. And they certainly don't want to be bothered by women who brought the harassment into their own lives by dating the guy they are being harassed by or by voluntarily giving away their phone number to the harasser. If you've never had the police refuse to press charges against someone threatening you or abusing you, you've never been a woman having to deal with the police.

Last edited by karathraceandherspecialdestiny on 04 Jul 2018, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 4:50 pm

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
This is a support forum for people who have social difficulties. Most people who post here are looking for advice, especially in this particular section. Most of them appreciate feedback from women because it's women they are trying to date and getting a woman's perspective can be helpful. That was why I posted what I did. So yes, we get the picture and we all understand why you were rejected now. Thank you for clarifying.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 4:52 pm

ThisAdamGuy wrote:
This is a support forum for people who have social difficulties. Most people who post here are looking for advice, especially in this particular section. Most of them appreciate feedback from women because it's women they are trying to date and getting a woman's perspective can be helpful. That was why I posted what I did. So yes, we get the picture and we all understand why you were rejected now. Thank you for clarifying.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 4:54 pm

Women get harassed a lot online. The cops don't want to be bothered with it most of the time because it's so prevalent. And they certainly don't want to be bothered by women who brought the harassment into their own lives by dating the guy they are being harassed by or by voluntarily giving away their phone number to the harasser. If you've never had the police refuse to press charges against someone threatening you or abusing you, you've never been a woman having to deal with the police.

But obviously my input is not welcome in this thread. That has been made clear. For future reference though, if you don't want feedback from women on your threads you should probably state that in the title or OP.

Peacesells
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 5:38 pm

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 5:44 pm

ThisAdamGuy wrote:

But obviously my input is not welcome in this thread. That has been made clear. For future reference though, if you don't want feedback from women on your threads you should probably state that in the title or OP.

I keep saying and saying it, but: VICTIM COMPLEX. You're aware that all a woman has to do these days is point and scream "RAPE!" and whoever's unlucky enough to be on the other side of finger is going to have his life ruined, right? Even if the accusations are proven false, the damage will have been done and it will be almost impossible for him to find work or a place to live, not to mention friends or a significant other. I'm not saying that happens often, but the fact that it can happen is enough to prove your "Boo hoo, nobody cares about the ladies!" crap as false.

Wow. She’s really missing out.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 6:15 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
ThisAdamGuy wrote:

I keep saying and saying it, but: VICTIM COMPLEX. You're aware that all a woman has to do these days is point and scream "RAPE!" and whoever's unlucky enough to be on the other side of finger is going to have his life ruined, right? Even if the accusations are proven false, the damage will have been done and it will be almost impossible for him to find work or a place to live, not to mention friends or a significant other. I'm not saying that happens often, but the fact that it can happen is enough to prove your "Boo hoo, nobody cares about the ladies!" crap as false.

I'd rather stay single than have to spend the rest of my life walking on eggshells because she gets set off easier than a firecracker in a matchstick factory

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jul 2018, 6:40 pm

ThisAdamGuy wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
ThisAdamGuy wrote:

I'd rather stay single than have to spend the rest of my life walking on eggshells because she gets set off easier than a firecracker in a matchstick factory

Amen! Why do people think that kind of behavior is acceptable? If her feelings are hurt that easily, falling in love with her is going to be hell on you.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2018, 7:11 am

Peacesells wrote:
Peanut butter is better than nutella=you hate black people
That was my first thought to.