Machinery are the dinosaurs reincarnated ...

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jun 2013, 5:20 am

I think at times that the machinery we create are really reincarnations of the dinosaurs. We serve the machinery rather than creating it to serve our purposes; its just that we are in a double-bluff situation and haven't quite realised it yet.

There are science fiction movies and books about this so my ideas are not novel.

As slaves of the machine we are (in its mind) mere grist and we should be watchful of anything approaching autonomous replication by the machinery. I fear that the new self-directing drones and robotic soldiers (currently experimental) are a step closer to a mechanised hell. A really serious issue would arise if the macinery could manipulate living tissues/organisms for its own purposes. Imagine part-machine part organism replicating itself furiously ... parasitising innocent people that are unfortunate enough to get entrapped by the machines.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 2:15 pm

What's the proper term for fear of machines?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 2:18 pm

Mechanophobia.

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 3:14 pm

Machines don't have 'minds'. How are we slaves to non-living objects.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 3:18 pm

Out attitude toward our artificial human made devices is more like idolatry than slavery.

ruveyn

PsychoSarah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 4:37 pm

Why does everyone assume that, if machines became conscious, they would hate humans? Maybe they would worship us as their creators. Maybe they would continue the stupid task we assigned them anyway. I see no direct benefit machines would have from destroying or enslaving us.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 5:32 pm

Fnord wrote:
Mechanophobia.

Thank you.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 6:02 pm

Jabberwokky wrote:
I think at times that the machinery we create are really reincarnations of the dinosaurs. .

I get being afraid that machines dominate our lives. What I don't get is this metaphor. How does this make them like dinosaurs?

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jun 2013, 9:49 pm

Janissy wrote:
Jabberwokky wrote:
I think at times that the machinery we create are really reincarnations of the dinosaurs. .

I get being afraid that machines dominate our lives. What I don't get is this metaphor. How does this make them like dinosaurs?

They run on the fossils fuels that originated from the dinosaurs and that is what I base the linkage on. Dinosaurs and modern machinery share in common their relative largeness. I don't think that reincarnation necessarily implies that the reincarnated thing physically resembles what it used to be in a previous life.

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Jun 2013, 9:54 pm

CSBurks wrote:

Machines do have minds; rudimentary ones that are dependent on us but in time they could become independent and self-replicating. On a more metaphysical level I suspect that machinery does have a mind. Then again, I am a bit of a fringe lunatic in that I believe inanimate objects have minds, just not the type of mind that humans are familiar with. Their minds are not minds as in the human sense but rather, minds in a cosmic sense and if you ask me to explain that it will be an extensive discussion of cosmology as I see it and you don't really want to get dragged through all that; or do you?

Technically, I am a Christian Catholic but in reality I'm closer to what is termed Animism.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 10:12 pm

Jabberwokky wrote:
CSBurks wrote:

Machines do have minds; rudimentary ones that are dependent on us but in time they could become independent and self-replicating. On a more metaphysical level I suspect that machinery does have a mind. Then again, I am a bit of a fringe lunatic in that I believe inanimate objects have minds, just not the type of mind that humans are familiar with. Their minds are not minds as in the human sense but rather, minds in a cosmic sense and if you ask me to explain that it will be an extensive discussion of cosmology as I see it and you don't really want to get dragged through all that; or do you?

Technically, I am a Christian Catholic but in reality I'm closer to what is termed Animism.

I think we Aspies often tend to anthropomorphize inanimate objects - I know I always did. I sort of think Stephen King might have been onto something in his short story, Trucks (don't bother with the terrible movie version, Maximum Overdrive), where the narrator suggests that maybe we gave the now sentient trucks a collective consciousness.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 8:56 am

Jabberwokky wrote:
Janissy wrote:
Jabberwokky wrote:

They run on the fossils fuels that originated from the dinosaurs and that is what I base the linkage on.

I wondered the same thing lol "The Dinosaurs' Revenge"

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jun 2013, 6:34 pm

I am sure the chimp smashing away at the bones is yelling, 'Stop existing!' However that would be to imbue the whole situation with speech. In fact, to say the chimp 'speaks' to the bones is not quite true but certainly the chimp is communicating through its body language. Any actual language imposed by me on the chimp is certainly anthropomorphisation but to humour myself, maybe the chimp is saying,

'Don't (hit) even think (smash) of coming back (hit hit) as machinery driven by (smash) your bones (thrash) as fossil fuels (shriek hit) ...'

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 11:20 pm

Jabberwokky wrote:
I am sure the chimp smashing away at the bones is yelling, 'Stop existing!' However that would be to imbue the whole situation with speech. In fact, to say the chimp 'speaks' to the bones is not quite true but certainly the chimp is communicating through its body language. Any actual language imposed by me on the chimp is certainly anthropomorphisation but to humour myself, maybe the chimp is saying,

'Don't (hit) even think (smash) of coming back (hit hit) as machinery driven by (smash) your bones (thrash) as fossil fuels (shriek hit) ...'

Chimp, or Australopithecus?

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jun 2013, 11:58 pm

Not sure; I haven't watched the movie from whence the picture came. Australopithecus would may have muttered profanities; did they have language of any sort? I am of the mind the most of our 'modern' profanities have primal origins so potentially the a-pithecus is saying f_k etc.