Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

nintendogurl1990
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jun 2013, 2:48 pm

Does anyone use the bus or a subway system to get around? (In the DC area, it's called the Metrorail) I'm just starting to use the Metro, and it's nerve-racking. The noise that the train makes when it goes inside the tunnel is so loud it hurts my ears. Plus, it can get crowded at times. On top of all that, I worry that I'll miss my stop or get off at the wrong stop. Does anyone else have fears or apprehensions about public transportation?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 2:52 pm

nintendogurl1990 wrote:
Does anyone use the bus or a subway system to get around?

Not I.

It takes an hour to get to or from work by private car, and two or more hours by public transportation.

I live in the Anaheim / Los Angeles area, where public transportation really sucks!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 6:02 pm

big city public transit is lots better than out here in the sticks.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 6:07 pm

I have never learned to drive (anxiety plus no money), so have always depended on buses.

The autocrats who run the local transit system put even the nastiest Roman Emperors to shame.

Sylkat

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 7:43 pm

I just get sick and tired of waiting for the bus and crowding on to the bus as that's what I rely on. I have no patience when it comes to buses anymore but I don't complain other than now because I choose not to drive for anxiety reasons and I don't expect people to drive me around.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 7:47 pm

When we lived in the DC area I rode the Metro a few times. I kind of enjoyed it. Being from Alabama I had never seen a subway and it was exciting. I have ridden the bus a few times when we lived in Birmingham, and I didn't mind it that much but I really didn't like the wait, etc. I also didn't like the long routes it took and the changing to other busses.

Now that we lived in the country and I don't have a car, I'd kill for even the crappy bus service. We don't even have a taxi out here, so if you don't have a car, you walk. Well, there is the "bus lady" who is sort of like a taxi but you have to book in advance because it's only one or two vehicles. There is the elderly and handicapped bus that takes people from the nursing home out shopping a few times a week, but you cant just go up to it and get on it.

I don't like public transportation, but right now I'd love it.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 7:48 pm

DC had a superlative public transit system, 2nd only to San Francisco/NYC.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 9:50 pm

I've been using public transport all my life because I cannot drive. Because I'm so used to it, I'm not that uncomfortable with it. The only things that make me uncomfortable are noisy people/trash people etc and the unreliability of the trains/buses.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 11:34 pm

If you can ride a bicycle, fire the bad bus drivers and shrink oil company profits and get a moped (or even one of those China bicycle engine kits)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2013, 11:50 pm

I take the bus to work and back. Only thing that sucks is if technical errors happen or if we have to wait for the train up ahead or if a car accident happens over the tracks like today. I had to walk to a transit center just to get on the train there for work and I was only ten minutes late. My boss said nothing about me coming in late so I didn't make a big deal about it. But they don't happen often.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

05 Jun 2013, 12:27 am

I do whenever I'm in downtown Portland (it's TriMet over here). It doesn't really bother me, but there's a chance of getting hurt or robbed by the occasional mugger.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

05 Jun 2013, 1:09 pm

King County Metro is alright to me. It can sometimes get crowded, but I have RARELY had anything bad happen to me.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Last edited by equestriatola on 05 Jun 2013, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heatherbk
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jun 2013, 3:10 pm

I'm not fond of public transportation (very loud noises, crowding during rush hours, rats, homeless people, crimes, smelly trains, and frequent delays or service change)
But living in NYC makes avoiding public transportation close to impossible.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Jun 2013, 6:51 pm

Me & my girlfriend use buses here in Vermont sense neither of us can drive. I've always ridden them with her. I handle the experience pretty well for the most part but I'm not ready to use them by myself because I haven't learned the bus system & I have low vision so I cant see the signs on the buses that show which route it is. The biggest problem I have taking them is when they're crowded &/or noisy. I get kind of claustrophobic like & feel kind of like I'm on the verge of a panic attack. I talked to my GP about it & she gave me a script for the benzo Klonopin to take only before I ride which is usually a couple times a week. I think it helps but I only ridden a crowded bus a couple times sense I got it a few weeks ago & I only take it when I think we might be on a bus that could be crowded. It may work better for me if I take a whole instead of a half(it's written for me to take half or whole) but I'll need more expedience on crowded buses taking the half to gauge if I should take a whole or not.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Last edited by nick007 on 06 Jun 2013, 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2013, 9:16 pm

Gainesville is small enough that you can get almost anywhere with a bicycle (and sometimes a little patience). I used to use the bus to get around and use the bike for shorter distances, but I later realized that it would be much faster to just ride the bicycle everywhere. I have no problem using the bus when I do need to use it though, such as if I have a flat tire. Since getting a road bike, I have started riding more "on the roads", to some extent. I try to avoid busy main roads with high speeds, but side streets, bike lanes, and sidewalks (it is legal to ride on them here) are all fair game. For longer trips I will use the car.

Last time I was in London, public transport was probably the best way to get around. With the amount of traffic and the layout of the city, taking the trains (and the Underground), buses, and/or taxis, was much quicker and saved time needed to find a place to park, feed the meter (and go back to feed it again because you needed more time), etc. Unfortunately most of America is hooked on "car culture". Travelling during rush hour is quite an adventure and probably not the best thing for those who have sensitivity issues - getting packed onto the tube trains like sardines - I once caught a cold from being in such close quarters

techman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2013, 9:49 pm

my family used to use it infrequently when we lived in Philly and sometimes I use it here in Lancaster but the local transit kinda sucks. I agree that the noise sucks but noise cancelling headphones and an mp3 player/ipod of any sort will work wonders

http://afteralliveseen.blogspot.com/