Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

19 Jan 2007, 1:39 pm

Yesterday at work, I found out my boss was going to have to lay me off next week because we are going so slow. Things are slowing down at work a lot. I was quitting my job anyway because I am moving to Oregon and looking for another job there.

Has anybody else been laid off? Now I'm, working on my letter to SSI and tyring to figure out how to put it. The problem is the check goes to my mother because it's under her name for me but I'm going to have to figure it out when I get there. My dad said they'll mail it but i also want to try and have it out under my name only so it gets mailed to me instead.

alex
Developer
Developer

19 Jan 2007, 2:26 pm

do you work in retail?

19 Jan 2007, 2:32 pm

housekeeping.

alex
Developer
Developer

19 Jan 2007, 2:54 pm

likedcalico wrote:
housekeeping.

can't you get another job or start your own housekeeping company?

sderenzi
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Jan 2007, 3:41 pm

Hey Alex!

I'm sorry to ask this, but you do realize you resemble Clay Aiken, at least to me :-> Are you his brother?

alex
Developer
Developer

19 Jan 2007, 4:12 pm

sderenzi wrote:
Hey Alex!

I'm sorry to ask this, but you do realize you resemble Clay Aiken, at least to me :-> Are you his brother?

well i'm not his brother

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Jan 2007, 4:24 pm

Would it help to have the cheque paid by direct deposit into a bank account?

20 Jan 2007, 7:22 pm

I am going to get another job but where I live, there isn't much jobs here. Kind of jobs I like to have are an hour away and i don't want to drive that far to work so I'm moving. I have ideas what kind of job I like to have. Living in a small town sucks you know. Lack of jobs and hours. Not very busy this time of year. I never liked living out here so i'm moving back where I came from. I do know it might take me as long to get to work as to kalispell or Missoula because of congestion but hey at least i won't be driving 67 miles to work or 50 something and there is transpotation there in Portland. There are buses in Missoula but not in Kalispell.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2007, 7:37 pm

likedcalico wrote:
Yesterday at work, I found out my boss was going to have to lay me off next week because we are going so slow. Things are slowing down at work a lot. I was quitting my job anyway because I am moving to Oregon and looking for another job there.

Has anybody else been laid off? Now I'm, working on my letter to SSI and tyring to figure out how to put it. The problem is the check goes to my mother because it's under her name for me but I'm going to have to figure it out when I get there. My dad said they'll mail it but i also want to try and have it out under my name only so it gets mailed to me instead.

My dad was laid off in 1982, it was a recession year. He worked as a pipefitter. He went back to school and got a technical degree. He became a computer technician in 1985 and has been at his job ever since.

As for me, I have never been laid off.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2007, 2:58 am

I got laid off, but then again, I was seasonal retail, so I wasn't surprised when I wasn't kept on after Christmas was over. Apparently sales weren't as high as they had hoped, so everyone who was a seasonal employee was laid off.

I'm back looking for work, but have several possibilities including a sales floor position at the same company, other stores, and the post office. Hopefully I'll have at least one interview in the next week or so.

steelback
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2007, 2:38 pm

The company I work for laid me off from the position where I had worked for the past seven years, to a different one, where I would spend most of my time in a tiny little box of an office, which isn't good for me since I also live in a tiny little box of an apartment. I was used to being in a big, open office, where I was free to wander from my desk from time to time, and somebody else would be there to hang out with. When I was forced to leave, I lost that sense of security, and since then, I have had to spend almost all of my time alone, both in and out of the office. I HATE BEING ALONE!! ! (don't mean to shout, but I don't say it often enough)

Anyway...as depressing as this career change has been, though, it may actually have been the best thing to happen to me. Being alone has forced me to deal with my depression If I hadn't been laid off, I might never have sought the counselling that helped me discover my AS, and I would go on indefinitely wondering why I feel so out of place.

Also, there's more good news for me, as I learned a couple of weeks ago that I was being called back to my former office. But even though I'm looking forward to reuniting with my friends, I want to be more ambitious. I'm thinking of using this as a step forward, to something more rewarding. But that's another topic I might post on later.