Aspies from well-to-do Families – Do you feel like a Failure

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 1:07 pm

My Dad was a very successful, career-minded individual (having himself grew up from very humbling beginnings). My parents were very active in their community (both professional and religious) and associated with other very successful, leaders (both professionally and within their religious community).

Both my Mom and Dad expected their kids to overachieve (as they had). As such, there was tremendous pressure on me (and my siblings) while I was growing up – to do well in school, to be “active” in school activities, to get into a good college, to get married, to have a good career, to raise my kids with the same values and expose them to the world, to be active in the community, to achieve.

Simply put, I was raised to live a neurotypical life with neurotypical aspirations. To no fault of anyone’s. As I grew up in the 1960s/1970s, before Aspergers was a formal diagnosis.

Anyways. I am now 50. And, I am regularly reminded that I was not as successful as I should have been.
- Career-wise (I have been unemployed for the past year and when I was had great difficulties)
- Socially (I have no social life)
- As a Parent (I didn’t “properly” prepare my kids by exposing them to various experiences)

Yeah – I know that I should ignore those “should” thoughts. And, most of the time I do (especially when I am by myself, at home, doing my own thing).

But, whenever I am out in the world, and meeting with people – especially family members or people in my parent’s social circle – which, thankfully, isn’t all too often – I am reminded of the fact that I live a what amounts to a “do nothing” life.

My older brother was quite successful (effectively retiring by my present age). My younger sister was quite successful (and very active in her social community). The children of my parent’s friends are all very successful.

Me. Nope.

I would be embarrassed to tell any of them how much time I spend on WP or how much time I spend walking my dog in deep thought (while singing to myself). They would consider me a failure.

I am embarrassed when I hear about all the things other parents do with their kids. The vacations. The summer camps. The clubs. I feel bad that my kids didn’t have these experiences.

So, how do I deal with this? I try to limit my associations with these people. So, as to minimize these feelings.

But – I am curious? Are there other Aspies who grew up under these same circumstances? Who feel that they underachieved (between what they are and what they “should” have been)? Who feel sad about this?

Or, are you just thinking, “Rocket, Get over yourself”? This is what my wife would say. By the way, I am still trying to analyze what the phrase “Get over yourself” actually means. LOL.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 1:30 pm

Hmm, I know what you mean but from a different perspective. My family aren't all successful in an intellectual/financial way. But they are all NTs, doing different things with their friends and having a social life, and it makes me feel like a loner towards them. OK I may have my family proud of me for having a part time job as a cleaner at minimum wage, and none of them look down on me for it either. But if I choose to think that drinking and partying is stupid, I get ridiculed for that. I also get interrogated for not going on holiday with friends and going different places with friends.

So although sadly I don't have any advice to offer and I'm not from a family like yours, I still feel like the black sheep and I would be happier if there were more Aspies in my family instead of just me being the only one, or even if somebody had Mental Retardation or any other mental health problem that affects their life and makes them different from the norm. Just so I don't feel like I'm the only one who is limited while I watch all my cousins going away to different places and doing different things with their friends. It just makes me feel so jealous. :(

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 1:58 pm

This post shouldn't be here!

Last edited by Thelibrarian on 07 Jun 2013, 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 2:01 pm

Rocket, I'm your age and can relate to what you said, except both of my parents are now dead. All my father could think about was making money. If it didn't make money, it was "useless".

I was born with very high intelligence, and my parents had plans for me to attend Harvard, Yale, or a similar elite school. When things didn't work out that way, the problems started, and they didn't end until my parents were both dead.

Because of the way my parents treated me, I quit caring about what they thought long ago. Despite fairly severe AS, I am fully self-supporting and have accomplished all my major goals in life. I do consider myself a success even if I will never do as well financially as my father did; that's just not me.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 2:05 pm

Not really. I think my parents understand as well; my dad makes lots of money a year, but he doesn't seem too ashamed. I'm 29, though, and in his view, there's still time, I think. I think once I find a good niche, I should do well.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 2:15 pm

I'm glad I've been successful at driving away those demons, i.e. the normal expectations of the normal family of origin. I've been, thankfully, able to change my frame of reference to one that suits who I am, and not one that suits the denial-born idea my parents and family had of me.

To me, nowadays, feeling successful is a function of how well I've done (for myself, not for society) considering my limitations. I was able to support myself, in spite of horrible difficulties, till today, age 51. I was able to expose myself to a lifetime of interesting experiences that enriched me enormeously and were lots of fun (what I call fun, not what others call fun). I live a meaningful life devoting myself to those like me, abandoned, rejected, useless to society (I care for stray cats) and it gives me a sense of purpose. I have peace of mind most of the time, have cleaned my mind of the brainwashing of those who have very different values from mine (mostly money, and one-upping others as the sole goal in life, sycophancy and machiavellianism).

It was very hard to become independent from the conditioning of what success is, but I've largely succeeded. One thing that's helped a lot is that as time passed, those who liked to teach others how life should be lived didn't become happier than me in the end. And if given a 2nd. chance, they'd do it a lot more my way than they did.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 2:19 pm

My parents were hard working, but not "well-to-do" per se. I suppose we were in the sense that they knew to not live in debt and to save, so we were better off than many.

Also grew up when nobody knew about AS or even HFA for that matter. I had problems in school, but all the tests they did showed nothing wrong (not that they were likely to find anything).

So, with my borderline genius IQ and obvious intelligence, lots of expectations were placed on me.

Granted, my sister hasn't done "better" but she's had more opportunity than I have. Her problem is poor money management (could be very well off if she was more frugal and responsible).

My parents wanted their kids to be better off than they were. Both of us failed to meet that expectation, but where my sister made bad choices that cost her, I supposedly made the smart choices (finishing school, going on to law school), but "success" has never happened for me...and it wasn't until I hit 40 that I even heard of AS and realized it may be why I've always failed where others succeed so easily.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 2:49 pm

Luckily, Rocket, my parents weren't super achievers like yours. My father was an unemployed drunk and my mother eventually became a nurse. I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my house. There were no maids, no nannies, no vans to ride around in in the suburbs. I was smart but I don't think I was expected to join the 9 to 5 corporate world.

In a sense, though, I'm a failure. You and I are the same age but I've never gotten married and had kids. I don't have a house, so no mortgage. I don't have a 401(k) plan and I have no health insurance. For the majority of my life I've lived at the edge and by the skin of my teeth.

I've went through several cars, have been homeless many times, have abused drugs, been suicidal, been hospitalized numerous times, etc. This is my 2nd go around so I'm actually trying to enjoy it. I've put on some weight but that's because I've turned into a foodie. Why should I miss out on what other people enjoy?

You can say I'm just coasting now. I've applied for several jobs but no one's called me back. By next week I'll be applying for a few more and hoping something pans out.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 2:53 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
Rocket, I'm your age and can relate to what you said, except both of my parents are now dead. All my father could think about was making money. If it didn't make money, it was "useless".

I was born with very high intelligence, and my parents had plans for me to attend Harvard, Yale, or a similar elite school. When things didn't work out that way, the problems started, and they didn't end until my parents were both dead.

Because of the way my parents treated me, I quit caring about what they thought long ago. Despite fairly severe AS, I am fully self-supporting and have accomplished all my major goals in life. I do consider myself a success even if I will never do as well financially as my father did; that's just not me.

Thelibrarian - Thanks for the reply

So, for me, the money was only part of what success meant (in my family). There were also the social aspects. And, not just being "good" in social circumstances (i.e. small talk, etc.). But “intermingling” with other people of high social status. And not just doing that. But raising your kids to do those things as well.

In any event, it sounds like you have adapted quite well (particularly after your parents died). You didn’t mention any siblings, so it’s unclear if you have “sideways” pressures on you.

I certainly hope I can adopt your outlook. It sounds quite healthy.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 2:57 pm

The cloud of disappointment eased off somewhat in my mid-twenties. I don't think any of my siblings ended up "successful" to my parents' standards, but they're much less judgmental about it.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 3:08 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:

Thelibrarian - Thanks for the reply

So, for me, the money was only part of what success meant (in my family). There were also the social aspects. And, not just being "good" in social circumstances (i.e. small talk, etc.). But “intermingling” with other people of high social status. And not just doing that. But raising your kids to do those things as well.

In any event, it sounds like you have adapted quite well (particularly after your parents died). You didn’t mention any siblings, so it’s unclear if you have “sideways” pressures on you.

I certainly hope I can adopt your outlook. It sounds quite healthy.

I will never know, but I think my civil engineer father had a touch of AS himself. So, they were never big socializers. All my father wanted to do was make lots and lots of money and celebrate Chamber of Commerce-style boosterism.

I do have three living siblings, but since they treated me the same way my parents did, I haven't spoken to any of them in ten years.

I would have to say that I think my biggest accomplishment in life is being relatively happy--something that was far from the case up until I turned about forty. That's when my life really started to come together.

Catching hell from everybody when I was growing up made me very independent, and I began charting my own course in life at a very young age. Long before I had ever heard of AS, I knew I was different and could not live up to the standards of the rest of the world.

Now, about the only thing I would change, if it were possible, would be some physical health problems that seem to be associated with my AS. But I won't complain.

What kind of work do you do?

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 3:12 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
Luckily, Rocket, my parents weren't super achievers like yours. My father was an unemployed drunk and my mother eventually became a nurse. I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my house. There were no maids, no nannies, no vans to ride around in in the suburbs. I was smart but I don't think I was expected to join the 9 to 5 corporate world.

In a sense, though, I'm a failure. You and I are the same age but I've never gotten married and had kids. I don't have a house, so no mortgage. I don't have a 401(k) plan and I have no health insurance. For the majority of my life I've lived at the edge and by the skin of my teeth.

I've went through several cars, have been homeless many times, have abused drugs, been suicidal, been hospitalized numerous times, etc. This is my 2nd go around so I'm actually trying to enjoy it. I've put on some weight but that's because I've turned into a foodie. Why should I miss out on what other people enjoy?

You can say I'm just coasting now. I've applied for several jobs but no one's called me back. By next week I'll be applying for a few more and hoping something pans out.

redrobin62 - Thanks for the reply

For the record, my dad wasn’t that successful (I suppose everyone has a different definition of "well to do"). I wasn’t born with a silver spoon. There were no maids or nannies. Though, I was fortunate enough to never have to worry about food, shelter or clothing as a child. I never worried about whether my parents could afford to send me to college. It was always the expectation that I would go.

You know the thing about how you perceive yourself – as a success, as a failure, or somewhere between – is more than likely a function of expectations. And those expectations seemed really high (particularly when I was young). And, I need to get over the fact that those expectations were never grounded in reality.

By the way, good luck on the job applications. If you keep at it, eventually something will pan out.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 3:31 pm

Moondust – Thanks for the reply

Moondust wrote:
I'm glad I've been successful at driving away those demons, i.e. the normal expectations of the normal family of origin. I've been, thankfully, able to change my frame of reference to one that suits who I am, and not one that suits the denial-born idea my parents and family had of me.

“Demons” is perfect term for describing these horrific expectations. It’s scary, because my parents are still alive. And, even at age 50, I still here “advice” from them on how to properly raise my teenage daughters. So, they will achieve that success (that I was unable to achieve). Argh...

By the way, how did you change your frame of reference (as this is what I need to do)? Did this require therapy?

Moondust wrote:
To me, nowadays, feeling successful is a function of how well I've done (for myself, not for society) considering my limitations. I was able to support myself, in spite of horrible difficulties, till today, age 51. I was able to expose myself to a lifetime of interesting experiences that enriched me enormeously and were lots of fun (what I call fun, not what others call fun). I live a meaningful life devoting myself to those like me, abandoned, rejected, useless to society (I care for stray cats) and it gives me a sense of purpose. I have peace of mind most of the time, have cleaned my mind of the brainwashing of those who have very different values from mine (mostly money, and one-upping others as the sole goal in life, sycophancy and machiavellianism).

So, with AS comes both strengths and limitations. As such, I think Aspies can be successful along certain dimensions.

As I am writing about this, I am now realizing that I am less concerned about the monetary aspect of success. After all, if all of a sudden I won a $1M prize (or $10K prize or $10M price), I would not alter my lifestyle one bit. I would save every penny (as I am prone to hoarding things of value). As such, it’s more the social thing. It irks me that I am not more successful socially. I suppose I still haven’t accepted being an Aspie.

Moondust wrote:
It was very hard to become independent from the conditioning of what success is, but I've largely succeeded. One thing that's helped a lot is that as time passed, those who liked to teach others how life should be lived didn't become happier than me in the end. And if given a 2nd. chance, they'd do it a lot more my way than they did.

This is a good point. That happiness trumps all.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 3:46 pm

My dad came from humble beginnings, and worked as an SRN. I constantly heard from him the refrain "I always thought you were the one who would make something of yourself". He never had a good word to say to me by way of praise, he was always trying to make me feel guilty for not achieving more. I don't know if it made me feel a let-down, I'd say in some ways I made myself feel more of a let-down when I tried to do things and couldn't understand why I couldn't handle them and would drop out.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 3:50 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
It irks me that I am not more successful socially.

Is it because you miss the relationship with those people that social success would put you in relationship with, or because of the label of "socially successful"? If it's the first, I understand you because it's a longing I'll always have. If it's the second, then it's an illusion. Leave "social success" to those who don't have in them what it takes to pursue and enjoy more interesting goals in life.

What I did to become independent of the voices of others in my head was Psychodrama and lots, lots of observation of others, introspection and logical analysis of others and myself.

There's a very great movie called "The Sparrow" (alas, impossible to get hold of by any means) which (apart from having the most beautiful Photography in cinema) ends with the words: "We're not happy either." It's about the life of someone who wasn't able to succeed socially. The last scene is with the most "socially successful" person, who says these words.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 3:53 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
What kind of work do you do?

Thelibrarian - Work has been a source of frustration for me throughout my adult life.

I started out in software engineering and then (based upon those expectations I mentioned) went back and got an MBA (via a night program). While I enjoyed some of the coursework, I didn’t realize (at the time) that MBA programs are mostly about making social connections. I went through the program without establishing any relationships. Ha Ha.

Since then, I spent the last ~ 18 years in 12 different jobs – as a Project Manager, Program Manager, Product Manager or Business Analyst. My lack of social/political skills caused issues in each position. Basically, I lasted as long as I could tolerate (or until the company went under).

I am currently unemployed (have been for the past year). But am starting a new part-time gig next week. It will be the first job I have had, since my diagnosis. I am hoping that – knowing I have AS – will enable me to better deal with people. I have some concerns. I guess I will know soon enough.

Note: I realize that the roles I have had are not ideal for people with AS. If I had known earlier, I would not have taken this path. But, I am uncertain whether it makes sense to "start over" again at this juncture in my life.