Should Barack Obama be impeached?
Yes 39%  39%  [ 24 ]
No 61%  61%  [ 37 ]
Total votes : 61

MacDragard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 12:34 pm

Impeachment will do nothing. All of the Federal government and all of wall street, including those who claim to disagree with him, suck up to him. Even if he resigns (which he won't), someone like him will replace him.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 1:22 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH63SSlwXKQ[/youtube]

To be sure, Barry's overstepped his bounds with this preventative detention BS - even for me.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 8:52 pm

I'd have pegged Carter as a worse president than Bush the Second, personally. Bush II may have been - er - somewhat lacking in intellectual rigor or curiosity, he may have been willing to endorse whatever statements were necessary to try the Neo-Conservative idea that forcing Iraq into democracy would cause the entire Arab world to follow suit (a notion that ignores the fact that Iraq isn't an Arab nation), he may have been a terrible human being, but at least he could lead. Jimmy Carter couldn't lead an Easter parade down a three-block street. His activities since leaving office suggest he's have made a hell of an HEW secretary, or possibly even State - but as Presidents go, he sucked pretty bad.

I'm not quite old enough to remember the Wilson or Harding administrations, of course...

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2013, 3:55 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Please make no mention of my wife in an insulting manner, or my father - I make no personal attacks on your family.

I didn't attack your family, I pointed out that you're so enamored of this president that you'd allow him virtually any trespass and still support him, and you yourself have brought up your father's union affiliation numerous times in when explaining your own uncritical support of labor unions, I merely speculated that your uncritical support of the Democratic party may have similar roots. I used some crude hyperbole, but my intention was not to offend, but rather to shock you into a substantive reply, so I apologize for any offense taken.

Kraichgauer wrote:
If you're getting frustrated, you have to ask if the argument is worth your while.

Ever seen a friend getting cheated by a smooth talking con man and tried to convince him that he's getting screwed, only to have him get pissed at you? Similar dynamic at work here.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2013, 12:40 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Please make no mention of my wife in an insulting manner, or my father - I make no personal attacks on your family.

I didn't attack your family, I pointed out that you're so enamored of this president that you'd allow him virtually any trespass and still support him, and you yourself have brought up your father's union affiliation numerous times in when explaining your own uncritical support of labor unions, I merely speculated that your uncritical support of the Democratic party may have similar roots. I used some crude hyperbole, but my intention was not to offend, but rather to shock you into a substantive reply, so I apologize for any offense taken.

Kraichgauer wrote:
If you're getting frustrated, you have to ask if the argument is worth your while.

Ever seen a friend getting cheated by a smooth talking con man and tried to convince him that he's getting screwed, only to have him get pissed at you? Similar dynamic at work here.

I have been in a situation - before I met my wife - where an evil young lady with Borderline Personality Disorder was taking advantage of me, and my friends had tried repeatedly to warn me. I only broke it off with her when I learned she was protecting another guy she was involved with who had beaten up her son. So yes, I have been in that situation.
While President Obama and the Democratic Party may not be perfect, they still represent my interest better than the alternative. And who's to say I don't actually agree with the positions I'm defending?

I accept that you were not attacking my family - s'kay. 8)

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2013, 1:47 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:

To be sure, Barry's overstepped his bounds with this preventative detention BS - even for me.

I would love to see what the opposition would think of Obama if one of those detainees were released and then went on to commit terrorism against us.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2013, 4:54 pm

AspE wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:

I would love to see what the opposition would think of Obama if one of those detainees were released and then went on to commit terrorism against us.

There are to be sure plenty of people who the military and the intelligence agencies admit have no business being there. These people should definitely be released. Those who are known to be threats ought to be tried, and sent to real prisons. Chances are, they'd have much less chance of survival among the general prison populations. The notion that they could somehow escape regular federal prisons is fantasy and paranoia. These guys probably aren't Houdini.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2013, 5:08 pm

If I was detained and harassed for something I didn't do,I might have a mind to do it,if I got free,because I would be pissed off. Now it's a no win situation,they now have a reason to hold a grudge.A good percent most likely didn't deserve to be there.Dammed if you do,dammed if you don't.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 10:52 pm

At this point its clear he just doesn't give an f. The white house could burn down, we could get militarily invaded, and no one would think twice on whether he's doing a good or bad job (at least no-one left of center).

The only way I'd want to see Obama impeached though is if his own party did it. Every time impeachment has been brought up by an opposite party it instantly becomes a motive mongering event, both parties make an absolute embarrassment of our system, nothing goes anywhere, and Congressional approval goes down to about half of what it was before any attempt was made. Huge train-wreck, nation-sized face palm, and no impeachment.

IMHO we're probably under judgment as a nation. Barack just happens to be a sizable chunk of that punishment.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 11:50 am

Talk of impeaching Obama is emotional pap. It was emotional pap when the anti-Bushites talked about it too.

The FISA courts are 30 years old. The Patriot Act is 10+. Congress created the laws, a judge signed off on each program and the WH executed them. Along the way various leaders of Congress were briefed. We went through this "scandal" about seven years ago and no one cared enough to make it a big issue during the election and if anyone does start to care they can pressure Congress to repeal the laws that empower the activity. Seeing as you have Republican and Democratic members of Congress defending the program's legality and utility that will be a tough road.

Compare that to Nixon's "plumbers". An entirely illegal group of mercenaries devoted to coming up with schemes to advance Nixon's political fortunes. These schemes ranged from kidnapping and drugging to breaking and entering, theft and blackmail. Only a few of the plans were executed but afterwards some of figures became heroes of the far right. Like Liddy. Because he had used any available means in the jihad against the Democrats. Nixon resigned before impeachment because it was clear that he had no support in Congress.

Two very different cases.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 2:47 pm

simon_says wrote:
Talk of impeaching Obama is emotional pap. It was emotional pap when the anti-Bushites talked about it too.

The FISA courts are 30 years old. The Patriot Act is 10+. Congress created the laws, a judge signed off on each program and the WH executed them. Along the way various leaders of Congress were briefed. We went through this "scandal" about seven years ago and no one cared enough to make it a big issue during the election and if anyone does start to care they can pressure Congress to repeal the laws that empower the activity. Seeing as you have Republican and Democratic members of Congress defending the program's legality and utility that will be a tough road.

Compare that to Nixon's "plumbers". An entirely illegal group of mercenaries devoted to coming up with schemes to advance Nixon's political fortunes. These schemes ranged from kidnapping and drugging to breaking and entering, theft and blackmail. Only a few of the plans were executed but afterwards some of figures became heroes of the far right. Like Liddy. Because he had used any available means in the jihad against the Democrats. Nixon resigned before impeachment because it was clear that he had no support in Congress.

Two very different cases.

Thank you for the cogent argument! 8)

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2013, 2:03 pm

simon_says wrote:
Talk of impeaching Obama is emotional pap.

Yes.
Quote:
It was emotional pap when the anti-Bushites talked about it too.

No, because Bush actually wiretapped Americans without a warrant which was illegal.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2013, 12:55 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcZnj499B1c[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList