Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 3:07 pm

I have severe sensory issues.

I do not habituate to the information. I do not get used to it.

I do not filter information. I receive all of it, until I get so extremely overwhelmed that I snap somehow.

Sense by sense:

Smell: Severe hypersensitivity. Causes migraines. Pretty much anyone that might be imagined to cause headaches does. I react to smaller amounts than people can imagine me being able to smell and am frequently told its entirely pschyosomatic. Multiple people have told me it sounds like I have Multiple Chemical Sensitivity when I go through and give them all my symptoms.

Taste: Hypersensitivity yet seeking. Salt is the worst. I cannot stand salt. I cannot stand meat and when I was forced to eat it as a child tasted an aftertaste nobody else ever described but makes me ill. I'm vegetarian. Processed foods tend to bother me a lot, which is a problem because I have executive functioning problems with cooking. Textures of food limit my diet. I also have sensory seeking tendencies, especially towards peppermint. My boyfriend teases me a lot with me and my peppermint. I will take straight, 100% peppermint oil and put it in my mouth and not understand why others find this strange.

Touch: Hypersensitivity. Limited in what I can wear. Problems with people touching me. HUGE problems walking through grass. Lots of problems with this. I don't stop perceiving touch input. Also, give me deep touch.

Hearing: Hypersensitivity with discrimination problems. I not unfrequently need to wear ear muffs, and when I'm wearing both my ear plugs and my ear muffs I still can have normal conversations without either me automatically raising my voice or my boyfriend needing to. I have lots of problems with high pitched noises - ultrasonic ones especially, and get headaches from them. Sudden loud noises reliably cause me to suddenly freeze and my boyfriend will need to drag me outside after the bird squawks because I cannot function in any way shape or form. They also interfere with my vestibular senses, which I'll get to later. I sometimes hear sounds as coming from different places than they are.

Sight: Hypersensitive. Florescent lights immediately drop my functioning level. I can't see with too bright of lights - and "too bright" is things other people consider things that are expected. I get headaches. I get visual distortions. Too many things, too busy of an environment, just makes me meltdown, if I try to interact with it because I cannot visually process it all.

Propioception: Hyposensitive. I don't know where my body is in space. I have to use vision to know where I am.

Vestibular: Hypersensitive. I can't so much as walk in a circle before I'm getting dizzy. I get carsick. I have random episodes of my head suddenly spinning that are according to a PT probably because I looked at something wrong while I was walking and that's enough to set off my head spinning. Simple moving wrong makes me feel ill.

I'm in constant overload. I cannot remember being out of overload other than the fact that I remember that there were times I was a child that I was not overloaded. There are times it gets worse, and times it gets better, but it never goes away. I have meltdowns and shutdowns from my sensory issues. I cannot be in a basic simple office with 5 other people in it for 2 hours without being in such severe overload that I must leave.

I cannot sort out information reliably. I dissociate. I stop effectively seeing. I stop being able to identify what things are that I'm supposed to interact with. I am unable to process what people are saying to me.

Day to day things others do, are things I just cannot do because of my senses. I can't drive. I can't walk outside at night. I can only sometimes go grocery shopping. I can only sometimes take a bus. I have been deemed unemployable, and am struggling to find work despite that. There are days I can't even eat.

I deal with my sensory issues always. It's not enough. But when they're doing better my autistic symptoms overall are doing better.

littlebee
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2013, 1:46 am

Quote:
I'm in constant overload. I cannot remember being out of overload other than the fact that I remember that there were times I was a child that I was not overloaded..

Quote:
I deal with my sensory issues always. It's not enough. But when they're doing better my autistic symptoms overall are doing better.

Tuttle, my heart goes out to you for the suffering you have and are experiencing, and I do not intend to discount it by saying this, but you are quite young, and though the symptoms could get worse, I suppose, there is also a chance they could get better....yes it is probably an uphill climb with many setbacks along the way, but gradually things can begin to get better and better, one small but significant increment at a time....I do not know about your spiritual life, but God will help you....

One fortunate thing is that you really are able to employ language very skillfully, and no one can take that away from you...and also you have a boyfriend:-)...wish I did....well I did kind of love someone but he moved quite far away.... maybe it is for the best, but that was and is a deep love....I want to respond more to what you wrote. but no time right now......

motley
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jun 2013, 2:30 am

I am perfectly normal in a one-on-one conversation. At least I come across as calm and in control. If someone else begins speaking nearby, the sensory overload is immediately intolerable and I must remove myself or I "freak out". Touch-wise I am very up and down. Very sensitive to smells. Light is fine, but a messy visual environment is not. I have an inability to find objects I am looking for, due to vision-overload when scanning the room. Sound, though, is definitively the worst. It takes a lot of self-control and energy to be out in public and attend activities with my children.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2013, 2:47 am

My sensory problems are mostly tactile but sometimes auditory.

Ever since I was a kid the feel of certain fabrics (eg velvet) would make me shudder and feel really nauseous - queasy in my stomach like I was going to throw up, and sometimes I would dry reach. Some sorts of touch would make me feel claustrophobic, as though I was suffocating. It took me years before I could stand being held by anyone, and I still can't sleep if I am in contact with somebody else's body - although I have recently managed to sometimes (but not all the time) sleep with my boyfriend's arm in contact with me (but the rest of him not in contact) and this is a massive achievement. I am most comfortable sleeping with no physical contact though.

In contrast, other sorts of touch would bring about great pleasure (not sexual pleasure, but a sort of euphoria deeply pleasurable sensation), the sorts of things that other people wouldn't normally associate with intense pleasure - like somebody lightly touching my hair, or my mother playing with my pony tail while she was talking on the phone.

The touch sensitivity sometimes occurs with eating too; for example, although I really like the flavour of tomato, sometimes I can't stand eating it because of the texture. When I was a kid I would never eat raw tomato, but I would eat it in any other form. The same applied to other "squidgy" sorts of foods, like ripe fruit, I wouldn't eat any of it. These days sometimes I can put up with raw tomato, but sometimes it makes me feel too queasy so I use capsicum (called red pepper in America) in my salad instead.

In terms of auditory sensitivity, when I'm in places that are too loud and crowded I find the noise quite painful. After a short time I can get a sort of "numbing" effect, where it's like my sensory system sort of shuts down, and I get a sort of dream-like sensation of being underwater. It's a pity because I love rock and symphonic metal music but the two times I've been to a live concert I haven't been able to really enjoy it because of the crowds and the noise.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2013, 9:18 am

sunshower wrote:
My sensory problems are mostly tactile but sometimes auditory.

In contrast, other sorts of touch would bring about great pleasure (not sexual pleasure, but a sort of euphoria deeply pleasurable sensation), the sorts of things that other people wouldn't normally associate with intense pleasure - like somebody lightly touching my hair, or my mother playing with my pony tail while she was talking on the phone.

My tactile sensitivity is definitely not as severe as yours. My sensory problems are more auditory but I've always had that intense pleasure at light touches too. Sometimes if I brush my own arm in the right way I get it too.

Faye712
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jun 2013, 9:54 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
Yes, sensory issues are definitely among the things I suffer from that started making me aware that I might have Asperger's.

When I was a child I could be easily upset and overwhelmed by noisy, crowded places, and I would have a meltdown. As I grew older, I think I learned how to somehow overcome it to some extent, as I became so highly motivated to fit in socially and be able to be in clubs and bars, etc -- sheer desire to be able to socialize in all the usual over-stimulating locations made me "stuff down" any discomfort.

But gradually I reverted back to intolerance and over-sensitivity to sensory overload once again, and now I cannot bear the noise and the physical proximity on a subway train; I cannot stand loud traffic noise and if I'm walking along a trafficky street with a friend, I can't focus on a conversation because of the noise. I also can't talk over a radio blaring. I have a friend who often has a talk radio channel on, and she chats away to me over the sound of these other people talking too!! I feel horribly overwhelmed and can hardly form my own thoughts with that happening, let alone speak them without feeling really agitated. I'm still trying to get to grips with the fact that it's okay to say woah, can we turn the radio off? Etc.

When my TV is too loud -- like when a show or movie has been quiet then the commercials come on at a ridiculous volume, if I can't grab the remote in time I feel on the verge of panic/meltdown.

My sensory overload used to happen even in a Blockbuster store, back in the days when renting from a bricks and mortar store was the thing you did, rather than Netflix. I would go look at the shelves of new releases and feel so overwhelmed by the physical sight of ALL those cases that I didn't know where to look first. I had to consciously make myself just systematically start at the left-top and very methodically eyeball each title one after the other. It worked and I started to be able to just look along the shelves very systematically and calmly, instead of feeling helpless and like I would never be able to pick out something of interest because I was overwhelmed.

So, my visual sensory overload stuff is somewhat managed now, by just having to be very, very systematic in literally what I'm focusing on, but my noise issues seem to be actually getting worse at the moment.

I've also always had sensory issues with how my clothes feel on me. I seem to be more obsessed than most of the world with the fact that something's riding up or riding down -- in childhood it was my socks, which I was also a bit OCD about, but the OCD kind of arose out of the fact that it was the sensation of the socks that bothered me and I had to reposition them. I have the same issues today but with all other items of clothing -- if my bra is moving around or has ridden up from my having reached up to a high shelf or something, I feel crazy to distraction until I can pull it back to where it ought to be. I have to also have a private moment of space to arrange my clothes before I leave to go out in public, and everything has to be "in place" or I feel so uncomfortable that I'm getting angry, close to meltdown, have to find a private spot to fidget my clothes back into place. Oh god, I sound like I'm completely insane.........This is the FIRST time I've ever publicly told anyone this!! 8O

Wow, we need to talk!! Its like I just read all about myself. I have all this for sensory and then some. Temperature and movement and smells are really bad for me too.

NT: 44
MBTI: INTP

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2013, 1:38 pm

I am SUPER sensitive to smells and sensitive to sound. I can hear the clock ticking by my bed or a drip from the faucet at night and it will drive me up the wall. Smells make me gag all the time. After a party or family get together i need downtime to decompress because I get really touchy. It's rough.