Parents made a terrible mistake not vaccinating their kid!

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2013, 1:01 am

1000Knives wrote:
Lol no. I will agree that you can MANAGE it with good nutrition and exercise and whatnot, but genetics is genetics. I get my ASD from my mom's side as my uncle has a really bad case of Aspergers and he has a fully autistic son.

I agree with the first half as well. We can MANAGE it with various strategies but we don't know [yet] that it's a genetic trait we inherit. For example (and this is not a good comparable, I realize, so don't attack me):

A mother who drinks during pregnancy may likely have a child (say a daughter) with FAS. That daughter will also drink during pregnancy and has another child with FAS. FAS is not a genetic trait - it's an environmental effect. It's hard to tell at this point whether or not our learned behaviours, habits and medical practices have impacted our family genes pool. It may not be the right answer but it's yet to be proven wrong. Just a theory I believe in.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2013, 10:20 am

Zodai wrote:
It's even stupider when you consider that people are born with Autism. A vaccination or not won't change that.

Here here!

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 12:17 pm

I get very angry when I hear about parents not vaccinating their kids. There was an article in my local paper a couple weeks ago that talked about a mom who didn't vaccinate her kids and she was taking her kids to a "chickenpox party" that weekend so her kids can get the virus and fight it off and in turn wont get it again. It made me SO ANGRY!

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 3:09 pm

Soccer22 wrote:
I get very angry when I hear about parents not vaccinating their kids. There was an article in my local paper a couple weeks ago that talked about a mom who didn't vaccinate her kids and she was taking her kids to a "chickenpox party" that weekend so her kids can get the virus and fight it off and in turn wont get it again. It made me SO ANGRY!

This kind of ignorance pisses me off. You still can get chicken pox again, especially when you are older. The same virus is also responsible for shingles, which is a horribly painful and contagious condition.

If people would just suck it up and vaccinate their children for EVERYTHING, then we could completely wipe out so many preventable diseases in a few generations, instead of having a resurgence every generation.

It has actually gotten to the point (in the US, anyway) that it is more likely for a child to contract whooping cough than the risk of minor vaccine related side effects.

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 3:47 pm

sonofghandi wrote:
Soccer22 wrote:

This kind of ignorance pisses me off. You still can get chicken pox again, especially when you are older. The same virus is also responsible for shingles, which is a horribly painful and contagious condition.

If people would just suck it up and vaccinate their children for EVERYTHING, then we could completely wipe out so many preventable diseases in a few generations, instead of having a resurgence every generation.

It has actually gotten to the point (in the US, anyway) that it is more likely for a child to contract whooping cough than the risk of minor vaccine related side effects.

I just realized that I meant to say "whooping cough party"! GRR I'm sorry!

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Aug 2013, 5:43 pm

ASDsmom wrote:
1000Knives wrote:
Lol no. I will agree that you can MANAGE it with good nutrition and exercise and whatnot, but genetics is genetics. I get my ASD from my mom's side as my uncle has a really bad case of Aspergers and he has a fully autistic son.

I agree with the first half as well. We can MANAGE it with various strategies but we don't know [yet] that it's a genetic trait we inherit.

There is strong evidence that it is at least partially genetic. We do know it is not a simple genetic cause- it isn't caused by one gene in isolation.

We know that identical twins share all the same genetics, as well as the same conditions in the womb and they are raised in very similar ways.
Non-identical twins do not share identical genomes, but they do share conditions in the womb and they are raised in very similar ways.

Studies have shown that if one twin is autistic, the other is more likely to be autistic if they are identical than if they are non-identical. This can only be the case if the difference is due to genetics.