Parents made a terrible mistake not vaccinating their kid!

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 3:10 pm

I just read an article off Facebook about two parents who were abso-freaking-utely foolish, and wouldn't get their son vaccinated. Then he got a cut on his foot and soon developed tetanus. He was hospitalized and in so much pain (they said it's like having a horrible cramp in every part of your body) that the doctors had to artificially induce coma so he wouldn't suffer. :( You'd think this would make other parents reconsider not getting their child vaccinated because of media hype about autism and other nonsense, but the same article mentioned two other parents who chose not to vaccinate their daughter because they believe the cons outweigh the pros. GRRR!! ! :x

Why in the world do people always overreact to what they shouldn't and underreact to what they should?

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 3:21 pm

It's even stupider when you consider that people are born with Autism. A vaccination or not won't change that.

Author/Writer

Laddo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 4:28 pm

Zodai wrote:
It's even stupider when you consider that people are born with Autism. A vaccination or not won't change that.

So true. How could a vaccine comprised of inactivated tetanus toxins somehow modify the way a child's brain works? It couldn't. It's just like the nonsense about cannabis apparently causing schizophrenia.

I thought that it was proven that certain vaccines don't and won't cause autism, anyway. It's ridiculous how many people still believe that breeze.

I am no longer using this account or this website. Do not bother contacting me because any messages will be ignored. The fact that you can't delete your profile while all your information is retained is also disgraceful.

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2013, 1:29 am

There are mny reasons prents chose not to vccinate. Not all of them re due to the fact they do not wish their child to develop autism.

RaspberryFrosty
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jun 2013, 1:52 am

Laddo wrote:
Zodai wrote:

So true. How could a vaccine comprised of inactivated tetanus toxins somehow modify the way a child's brain works? It couldn't. It's just like the nonsense about cannabis apparently causing schizophrenia.

Someone actually thought cannabis caused schizophrenia? That's ridiculous.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Jun 2013, 11:55 am

I had a friend, whose family for religious reasons, would not see doctors. First his little brother died at age 13 or so, of natural causes (an infection of some kind), then his mother died at age 49 of a heart problem which could easily have been prevented, and then my friend died suddenly of the same heart defect that his mother died of, and he was only 29. This family, by the way, was a vegetarian family and they were all in excellent shape physically, and my friend was in such good shape that he had just gotten back from Australia where he won a surfing championship trophy.

Very misinformed, very stubborn, and with all due respect to the departed and to their religion, STUPID in the 21st century.

If we have technology and medicine and knowledge, let's consider using it!! !! Immunizations save people from dying of illnesses, and one in a zillion children get sick or die from the immunizations. Who knows if those children might or might not have died anyway from other unusual conditions???? To me, it's foolish not to use knowledge when we have it!!

Charles

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 7:32 pm

Zodai wrote:

That's an opinion. We don't know what causes Autism so to state this in such a way is misleading. Personally, I believe Autism is developed by environmental toxins and if the body is not supported by a healthy dose of gut flora, than the body becomes unable to protect it from these toxins. There are multiple reasons as to why an infant may be born with an inadequate supply of flora.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2013, 1:38 pm

kx250rider wrote:
I had a friend, whose family for religious reasons, would not see doctors.

The majority of my extended family (and it is a huge one) has views like these. It is seen as "interfering with The Lord's will" (you have to somehow pronounce the capitol T and capitol L or you might get a slap upside the head for disrespect). It doesn't seem to bother them that there is a disturbing number of children in the family that do not make it to adulthood for easily preventable reasons. I guess maybe that's why they feel the need to have as many babies as possible.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2013, 1:24 am

Zodai wrote:

I can tell you, with all due respect, that no one really knows the cause of autism. I tend to side with neurological and environmental factors, from what research I have seen.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2013, 5:34 am

sonofghandi wrote:
kx250rider wrote:
I had a friend, whose family for religious reasons, would not see doctors.

The majority of my extended family (and it is a huge one) has views like these. It is seen as "interfering with The Lord's will" (you have to somehow pronounce the capitol T and capitol L or you might get a slap upside the head for disrespect). It doesn't seem to bother them that there is a disturbing number of children in the family that do not make it to adulthood for easily preventable reasons. I guess maybe that's why they feel the need to have as many babies as possible.

Your family wouldn't be primitive Baptists or any of those sects that are poisonous viper handlers, would they?

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2013, 9:05 am

They started as Baptists, but they split off when I was in elementary school. They split off from that church for differences on opinion regarding divorce. They split from that church for differing opinions of what constitutes medical care and what doesn't in terms of interfering with The Lord's will. I think their church is down to 15-20 members, all of whom I am related to (including the pastor). I did spend a chunk of my childhood with snake handler neighbors, though.

FlanMaster
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2013, 4:03 pm

ASDsmom wrote:
Zodai wrote:

That's an opinion. We don't know what causes Autism so to state this in such a way is misleading. Personally, I believe Autism is developed by environmental toxins and if the body is not supported by a healthy dose of gut flora, than the body becomes unable to protect it from these toxins. There are multiple reasons as to why an infant may be born with an inadequate supply of flora.

and the "being born without sufficient gut flora" is also a theory. may be true but isn't necessarily the cause of autism. mercury from the mother's amalgam fillings, or toxins still in her body from her own vaccines, or chemicals from foods the mother eats (preservatives, fertilizers, pesticides) MAY all contribute to the development of autism in utero, but we don't KNOW. While it's true that gut flora has shown to play an important part in the body's ability to heal itself, it is still not known for certain exactly how much. Every thing so far is just environmental observation, on which are based educated theories.

for me, my mother had amalgam fillings AND I received thimerosal preserved vaccines during infancy. I recall trying to analyze and understand events at a very early age. I have valid memories, never mentioned by others until I recounted them, then verified by others, of when I was a toddler still in diapers, trying to understand the events unfolding. had I not had the symptoms of hfa from birth, I might not have had such memories. but I can't discount the cases where children 5,10,12 or older "became autistic" following vaccines or other toxins.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2013, 2:01 pm

I used to worry about vaccines causing autism before I knew I had it myself and I've never been vaccinated. I had severe allergies to so many things as a child that the pediatrician said not to give me any. I don't like the Pertussis vaccine and didn't get it for my kids anymore after my oldest daughter had a reaction to it and had to be hospitalized for a few days. Doc said not to give that one to them.

I don't mind some others, and I think they are beneficial, but I think they go overboard. I think that the immune system is there for a reason and if you vaccinate your kid against everything, it's going to make them less able to fight off infection and disease themselves. I'm for the tetanus and Diptheria (although the chances of catching diphtheria are small unless you live in squalor) and usually when you get an injury you can get a tetanus shot right then. I don't think either of those hurt anything. I'm against MMR though because it's mild when kids are small. It's only when older kids and adults get it that it's serious (most of the time, but then again a trampoline can kill you too). Remember when the vaccines started wearing off and those kids caught Measles and died in colleges? Wait and give it when they are older. I'm also against the chickenpox vaccine too. My kids didn't have the vaccine, had the pox and are fine. They are now pushing the HPV vaccine for all girls, even those not sexually active and those who are but who are in committed monogamous relationships.

The oral polio was a bad one from what I've read. The Salk polio vaccine was better and that's what we got ours.

I think you can go overboard both ways with this. Get the shots for the dangerous things. Get the shots for things if you are going somewhere that you might catch it or are doing something that puts you at risk. But don't go overboard and get every vaccine that comes out, because eventually your immune system will be completely useless.

That's just my opinion though.

ETA they could have taken in him right when he got hurt and got the tetanus shot. It doesn't have to be given beforehand.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 7:52 pm

FlanMaster wrote:
ASDsmom wrote:
Zodai wrote:

and the "being born without sufficient gut flora" is also a theory. may be true but isn't necessarily the cause of autism. mercury from the mother's amalgam fillings, or toxins still in her body from her own vaccines, or chemicals from foods the mother eats (preservatives, fertilizers, pesticides) MAY all contribute to the development of autism in utero, but we don't KNOW. While it's true that gut flora has shown to play an important part in the body's ability to heal itself, it is still not known for certain exactly how much. Every thing so far is just environmental observation, on which are based educated theories.

I agree. My point was more about being careful when we post "facts" vs opinions. I was pretty clear that I was stating my personal belief.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2013, 10:01 pm

ASDsmom wrote:
Zodai wrote:

Lol no. I will agree that you can MANAGE it with good nutrition and exercise and whatnot, but genetics is genetics. I get my ASD from my mom's side as my uncle has a really bad case of Aspergers and he has a fully autistic son.

ASDsmom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2013, 1:01 am

1000Knives wrote:
Lol no. I will agree that you can MANAGE it with good nutrition and exercise and whatnot, but genetics is genetics. I get my ASD from my mom's side as my uncle has a really bad case of Aspergers and he has a fully autistic son.

I agree with the first half as well. We can MANAGE it with various strategies but we don't know [yet] that it's a genetic trait we inherit. For example (and this is not a good comparable, I realize, so don't attack me):

A mother who drinks during pregnancy may likely have a child (say a daughter) with FAS. That daughter will also drink during pregnancy and has another child with FAS. FAS is not a genetic trait - it's an environmental effect. It's hard to tell at this point whether or not our learned behaviours, habits and medical practices have impacted our family genes pool. It may not be the right answer but it's yet to be proven wrong. Just a theory I believe in.