Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2013, 10:22 am

I don't think that meme picture is talking about that. I think it's talking about the phrase 'inside voice', meaning a volume of voice that doesn't hurt the listener's ears. (Inside voice is actually a misnomer, because the determinants of appropriate voice volume are more complex than indoors vs outdoors.) A lot of autistic people have only one volume they speak at, often a fairly loud one.

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2013, 2:53 pm

This thread is quite interesting. My thoughts are a stream of words with virtually no pictures. If I do get a picture at best it will be a vague dark outline against a lighter background or a very quick flash of a vague image. I don't 'hear' any tone or volume in the words. They just exist in my head.

Here is a quick question. Say you want a cup of coffee (or any other beverage). What would your thoughts be? In my case I would think something like 'A cup of coffee would be nice'. A friend of mine would see himself getting up and making the coffee.

stuart18230
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jul 2021, 3:42 am

My inner voice is on all the time like a Narrator - I'm always pondering what's going on around me - debating with myself - thinking about the past, thinking about the future - I also seem to be good at visualizing things but I'm terrible at art - my inner voice sounds the same as my outer voice (if that makes sense) which Is why, I think my vocal Communication skills are really good but due to being dyslexic my written communication and spelling is terrible but getting better with age.

I couldn't imagen not having an inner voice, I love it, but if bad things happen in life, I can replay them over and over again!! ! but iv found a way to combat that, to the point where I can now switch it off and really bask in nothingness, which i also like, but then I find it turns me into a bit off a hippy and I don't have as much fun talking to people as when my inner voice is quite and calm my outer voice goes very calm and slow too

Oddly I had this conversation with 5 friends and one of them was the same as me in all areas very chatty - dyslexic - great visualisation - creative thinking - but also suffers from pondering negative thought patterns :(

if anyone can relate to this please drop a reply as I find this helpful to talk about :)

Erewhon
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2021, 4:24 am

I also have a strong narrator-feeling, a slightly psychotic feeling that i am contemplating myself from a distance. I only have this narrator-feeling when i'm in a logic-mode. A kind of robot in my skull.

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2021, 5:18 pm

I often imagine my inner voice as that of Hugo Weaving or Sam Neil as, a way of illustrating; what, I might be thinking internally.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 1:02 am

I don't know if I have an inner voice or not. I have a stream of thoughts, which could be called a voice, especially if I put them into words, and I do that a lot to clarify and process the thoughts rationally, and sometimes it feels a little as if I have a second "voice" that offers healthy criticism to any assertions I might be creating, to see if any holes can be knocked into my assumptions. And that's all, as far as I know. So if an inner voice just means putting inner thoughts into words without necessarily saying them out loud or writing them down, yes I do that. To a degree I also think without words, and I'm fairly sure my thoughts aren't in words when they first happen, they might be pictures, albeit often rather vague ones, or they might be pictureless, wordless ideas. I can usually turn them into words, but I suspect that sometimes I can't. Sometimes they slip away before I get the chance, sometimes I just let them do that, other times I try to articulate them but can't, and then they might slip away and return later, giving me (usually) a better chance of articulating them, and maybe some of them just get lost, never to return. I tend to think there's no thought that can't be put into words, as long as the thought makes any sense at all.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 2:05 am

NEtikiman wrote:
I have an inner voice and it's tremendously overwhelming... it's constantly reviewing, repeating and analyzing what I'm doing and what's going on around me. And sometimes I get stuck in loops (the sentence about reviewing repeating and analyzing ran in my head for a solid 30 seconds after I typed it before I could begin this one... just to make sure I was saying what I meant to say)... It makes talking/concentrating very difficult.

Same here.