Would you rely on the school to fix a staff/pupil issue?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

mumsy-r
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Jun 2013, 2:17 pm

Hello, Background is our boy's NT but a bit quirky, and all along the way his teachers have picked out various "issues", social issues seeming to be at the core of it.
He's now 7, has always loved school and really liked his teachers but lately more and more often he's been angry / upset about what happens at lunchtimes.
Apparently there's one dinner lady who is constantly telling him off when he's "not doing anything", and punishing him when other (younger) kids are pushing him around or messing with him.
I know he's a very gentle boy, and definitely not a liar. He might be getting picked out because he can be quite loud, or possibly because the dinner lady doesn't know the names of the little ones, but either way it doesn't sound very fair from his point of view.
He has been encouraged by his teacher to tell her anything that's upsetting him, and she arranged a meeting between them and the dinner lady. Exactly what was discussed I'm not sure, but the teacher said today that they've written down some lunchtime targets and that my son seemed happier.
In the meantime my husband has been onto the deputy head to complain about this lady picking on our son. And he has arranged a meeting with the head for next week. He has also been slagging off the woman in question to our son.
I don't know whether the school have dealt with this in a satisfactory manner. I don't feel like supporting my husband in attacking the school- at least til I know what's been said or done. Most importantly though I don't want our son to be getting mixed or confusing messages, and being told different things by different people.
Is my husband right to steam in and speak to the head? Or not?
I'm really at a loss now cos all I want is for him to be happy.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 2:23 pm

I would give the teacher's solution a little time to see if it works. If it doesn't, then you can sic your husband on the mean lunch lady with a clear conscience.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 2:27 pm

I agree with YippySkippy. Showing you trust the teacher to try could be helpful later on if you need her help in the future.

mumsy-r
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Jun 2013, 2:50 pm

Sorted then 8)

I'll lay low and play the diplomat.

Bombaloo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 9:20 pm

I just wanted to add that no matter how upset I am with someone at the school I try never to speak of it in front of the kids. You know they will repeat what you have said at the most inopportune moment. Your husband might want to bear that in mind.