Should I join Facebook to improve my social life?

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Liam93
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Jun 2013, 4:56 am

DefinitelyKmart wrote:
Facebook will make you detest all you hold dear, its like a stream of consciousness and people just type the first stuff that comes to mind "HUNGRY LOL" " RLY BAD MOOD"
its no fun

Exactly, every time I made a Facebook account it actually ended up making me feel a lot lot worse, on Facebook you'll see how all the NT people you know are supposedly really enjoying themselves, basically they cherry pick events in their week and then boast about them, if you've had a bad week it makes you feel worse, you'll be bombarded by photos of people having fun etc, and will see constant messages about people doing stupid things.
Facebook will fuel a narcissistic urge in you to keep checking it every 5 minutes to see if someone "liked" something you said etc.

All in all Facebook is the worst thing possible for someone with Autism, if there was a similar site for ASD people however it might be very useful.

MinorAnnoyance
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jun 2013, 11:20 pm

Facebook came make you feel like everyone is having a good time without you. It's not true because you're only seeing the best stuff because that's what people share, but you might feel excluded even if it doesn't make sense.
However, now-a-days some people organize their whole social life through Facebook so if you're not on it you're not in it.
My personal experience I did feel the "good times without me" thing but also some people from my seasonal job made it known they wanted me to come back, so that was good to here. Also I recently made a friend who more or less lives on the streets. Not technically homeless but very close to it. I couldn't find her and some of my Facebook friends were very supportive in my efforts to find her, which I needed because it was a bit crazy to do take that action and every difficult to accomplish. After six months of looking I did find her, on Facebook.

EDIT: I should also say that several people who liked me from high school tried to add me but I didn't accept. They're all gone on to high education, careers and families. I don't feel I'm on their level. I'm making friends with panhandlers. Everyone I'm friends with on Facebook is younger than me.

Last edited by MinorAnnoyance on 22 Jun 2013, 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2013, 11:24 pm

I don't know how facebook can improve your social life. I can't think of a more dull activity.

LucidRaven
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jun 2013, 6:59 pm

I actually deleted my facebook a few months ago because I felt it was worsening my already laughable social life. When people looked at my interests and the types of topics I read it became apparent to them that I was boring and weird so they just "un-friended" me. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

My advice?: Just stay away from facebook, it's a rather stupid past-time. Your experience may vary, but It hasn't really done any good for me.