[ Long ] A Philosophy of Science v. Pseudo-Science

Page 11 of 11 [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 4:42 pm

And one final note.. before i say goodbye.. the intelligible issue.. is a just a 'little' ironic.. considering where we are..

But never the less.. i have been spending way too much time here lately.. and am i going to go on a little self-imposed break..:)

When i come back.. i'll try my very bestest.. to stick to Queen's English prose.. to keep everyone comfortable.....as well as.. it's hard enough.. to be intelligible.. after a life long issue with Autism.. that reciprocal social communication difficulty.. in the first place......

But anyway.. best wishes .. for now..:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 8:53 am

aghogday wrote:
And one final note.. before i say goodbye.. the intelligible issue.. is a just a 'little' ironic.. considering where we are..

But never the less.. i have been spending way too much time here lately.. and am i going to go on a little self-imposed break..:)

When i come back.. i'll try my very bestest.. to stick to Queen's English prose.. to keep everyone comfortable.....as well as.. it's hard enough.. to be intelligible.. after a life long issue with Autism.. that reciprocal social communication difficulty.. in the first place......

But anyway.. best wishes .. for now..:)
Just take it (emotionally) easy, Hogsy. You're not the only one around here in the spectrum. I'll be glad to see you back speaking the organised, intelligible language that I know you can. I never trusted therapists.

spoirier
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Dec 2017, 2:57 pm

I have some experience of reviewing "theories" of pseudo-physicists and other kinds of mistaken beliefs, including one who was mistaken as the genius of the century by the French science popularization magazines at that time (Nottale).
From there I wrote a description of how I see the working of pseudo-science. The main idea is that doing science right requires a deep understanding of the involved topics and a lot of care at every step of arguments to check their correctness.
Also one of the causes of pseudo-science I see, is the poor quality of the teaching of science at university, which entertains the illusion that modern science would be crap as it is deed the way it looks like in teaching. There is such a big discrepancy between the very deep existing verifications of a number of scientific theories, and the incoherence of its presentations by professors who have the head elsewhere than the question of how to clean up the existing body of knowledge to show it in the right light.
I can't post the link here because I am a new user. As I said in the other thread, since many years I know the solution to many problems of how the internet works, including to solve the spam problem but I could not get anyone to help because people prefer let the world in the s**t than to bother understanding a new idea which takes a thinking effort while they don't need to learn it to pass any exam !

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2017, 3:54 pm

spoirier wrote:
I have some experience of reviewing "theories" of pseudo-physicists and other kinds of mistaken beliefs, including one who was mistaken as the genius of the century by the French science popularization magazines at that time (Nottale).
From there I wrote a description of how I see the working of pseudo-science. The main idea is that doing science right requires a deep understanding of the involved topics and a lot of care at every step of arguments to check their correctness.
Also one of the causes of pseudo-science I see, is the poor quality of the teaching of science at university, which entertains the illusion that modern science would be crap as it is deed the way it looks like in teaching. There is such a big discrepancy between the very deep existing verifications of a number of scientific theories, and the incoherence of its presentations by professors who have the head elsewhere than the question of how to clean up the existing body of knowledge to show it in the right light.
I can't post the link here because I am a new user. As I said in the other thread, since many years I know the solution to many problems of how the internet works, including to solve the spam problem but I could not get anyone to help because people prefer let the world in the s**t than to bother understanding a new idea which takes a thinking effort while they don't need to learn it to pass any exam !

The big problem with "solving" the spam problem is that most solutions would require an immense change to the entire e-mail system for it to work. Such a change isn't going to happen. For anything to work with e-mail, it will have to be something that can be optionally adopted at one's own convenience or not adopted if one doesn't wish to adopt it.

I've been an anti-spammer for more than 20 years (enough of one to make Spamford Wallace's netscum list of anti-spammers he particularly hated) and would enjoy hearing your ideas on the subject.

I'll start a topic on the Computers, Math, Science, And Technology board titled "What do we do about spam?". Please come to there and post your ideas.